Who's here is going to California Extreme? Please chime in!!

This Florida guy is going to be at California Extreme. I'll be out
there on an extended business trip and have plenty of time to take in
the show. I already have reservations at the Hilton Friday and
Saturday night (at the "CA Extreme" price).

I am hoping to get to meet a lot of RGPers while there and it would be
nice if everyone would chime in if you plan on being there. I already
know Bill Ung will be there and I plan on shaking his hand for making
that awesome mod for my AF*M. Who else is coming?

I don't see anything about vendors on the flyer. I was hoping to see
Rick from BAA or maybe Cliffy selling their wares, but I guess it is
not that type of show?

Look for the tall, geeky guy named John with a girl (Linda #1) who is
way out of his league. Also, my friends Bob and Linda #2 (she's out of
his league too) from Vegas will be there. None of us four are going to
win any tournaments, but we'll have a great time anyway!

See you there,
John
26 answers Last reply
More about california extreme chime

    All the usual vendors do attend like BAA, etc, Plus several companies
    with minty pins, but bring your Platinum card, this is California and
    it isn't uncommon to see $5K IJs or AFMs, etc.

    I'll be there and am up for an RGP get-together.

    Ironman wrote:
    > All the usual vendors do attend like BAA, etc, Plus several companies
    > with minty pins, but bring your Platinum card, this is California and
    > it isn't uncommon to see $5K IJs or AFMs, etc.

    I'm going too. This will be my first year going and looking forward to
    it. Will look for you there John!!!

    Mike K
    San Jose

    I'll be there with my booth as well. Cliffy's protectors are usualy
    with BAA so I expect Rick will have some.

    Look for the guy behind the table with no girl. I'm out of thier
    league too!

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    I'll be there Saturday, John.

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!

    And if you see me in Mario's booth I'm *NOT* his girl! :P

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!
    http://www.passionforpinball.com

    4 of us are driving down from Vancouver, bringing a couple of EM's to
    sell. First CAX show for me. BTW, anyone else had trouble downloading
    the flyer from the CAX site??

    I have been in touch with Rick. Since his store is in San Jose, no
    reason to lug his stuff to the show. You may see him there, but plan
    on heading to his shop to buy parts. I need to S*S parts including a
    Cliffy protector set, so I will stop by.

    John

    I'll be there with my nice TZ (look for the blue clock) for play and
    possibly my STTNG to sell (same one as last year).

    -JB

    Cliffy wrote:
    > And if you see me in Mario's booth I'm *NOT* his girl! :P

    See, I'm not even in Cliffy's league!
    I guess I've hit bottom.

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    I'm going on Saturday. See you all there.

    Rob Bell
    CARGPB20 ;-)
    www.robsgameroom.com

    I'll be there Saturday early afternoon. Looking forward to it!

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    "Rob Bell" <rob_bell@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > I'm going on Saturday. See you all there.
    >
    > Rob Bell
    > CARGPB20 ;-)
    > www.robsgameroom.com

    I will not be attending. :-( too much traveling but I will say hi to Mickey
    in FL.
    timathie cargpb15
    "PT" <zeecarr1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > This Florida guy is going to be at California Extreme. I'll be out
    > there on an extended business trip and have plenty of time to take in
    > the show. I already have reservations at the Hilton Friday and
    > Saturday night (at the "CA Extreme" price).
    >
    > I am hoping to get to meet a lot of RGPers while there and it would be
    > nice if everyone would chime in if you plan on being there. I already
    > know Bill Ung will be there and I plan on shaking his hand for making
    > that awesome mod for my AF*M. Who else is coming?
    >
    > I don't see anything about vendors on the flyer. I was hoping to see
    > Rick from BAA or maybe Cliffy selling their wares, but I guess it is
    > not that type of show?
    >
    > Look for the tall, geeky guy named John with a girl (Linda #1) who is
    > way out of his league. Also, my friends Bob and Linda #2 (she's out of
    > his league too) from Vegas will be there. None of us four are going to
    > win any tournaments, but we'll have a great time anyway!
    >
    > See you there,
    > John

    Gotta work that day, but I feel a bug coming on...*cough*

    Mike

    In article <TKiDe.469$4O3.39@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
    "wolfus" <timeisenga2@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > I will not be attending. :-( too much traveling but I will say hi to Mickey
    > in FL.
    > timathie cargpb15

    Count me in! my very understanding, pinball playing wife will also be
    there ... willingly\-). we will be there both days ... but not too
    early \-)

    this is my first show ... any good deals i should be looking for my tz?
    any great deals to be made the last day, last hour of the show when
    all the vendors want to pack up and go?

    \r

    "ron" wrote:
    > Count me in! my very understanding, pinball playing wife will also be
    > there ... willingly\-). we will be there both days ... but not too
    > early \-)
    >
    > this is my first show ... any good deals i should be looking for my tz?
    > any great deals to be made the last day, last hour of the show when
    > all the vendors want to pack up and go?

    You never know- my experience going to these shows is that it depends on the
    show/area and usually the good stuff gets gobbled up the first few hours of
    the first day- rarely anything left that is a deal or a good find at the end
    of the show unless it's mediocre or overpriced games/stuff that someone
    would rather sell for less than have to haul home. But you never know.

    The RMPS show in Denver has been a feeding frenzy at the last couple hours
    on Sunday for the past years we've been there. So I consider it to be
    pretty predictable. But the PAGG show we've been going to in Dixon CA has
    been the opposite- absolutely dead last few hours of the show on Sunday. So
    two extremes between these two shows/areas. I'd expect the same at CA only
    since it's in the same regional area as PAGG, but you never know...

    Also, anyone know why the CA show is only 2 days instead of 3 like most
    shows? I definitely prefer 3 day shows. Again from my personal experience,
    a 3-day show to me is really like a 2-day show- the show opens a bit later
    than normal on the first day so you don't get a full day in. Then on the
    last day the show closes eary and most vendors/exhibitors start pulling up
    stakes even earlier and games start getting yanked out from the opening bell
    so you don't get much of a "day" on the last day.

    So a 2-day show to me is really a 1-day show. Just based on past
    experiences.

    If you're a vendor, that doesn't give you very much "earning" time to make
    money and cover your costs for going to the show and back, and may not be
    worth the time to gather up all your inventory and drag it to the show, set
    up, break down, move back, etc.

    If you're an attendee, you have to "hurry" to get through everything and
    play all the games you want to play. Or hope the games or vendors you want
    to see are still there on Sunday when you stroll in after breakfast.

    The PAGG show this year was a disappointment to me for the final day- the
    show normally closes at 5pm (I think they changed to 4pm this year) but 75%
    of everything and everybody was gone about 1pm- really disappointing this
    year. Many people have cut out early in past years, but this year was
    really ridiculous. If I paid to get in as an attendee on Sunday I would
    have asked for my money back. I told my wife I felt sorry for anyone that
    paid to get in Sunday morning- they got ripped off.

    I'd really prefer a 3-day show and/or any show that requires the games and
    vendors to stay put until a set time on the last day. Makes it worth your
    while as a vendor and you get your money's worth as an attendee...

    My friend's mom does some craft stuff as a hobby/side-business and attends a
    show regularly where they actually penalize any vendor that cuts out early-
    charges them more or something somehow. Maybe we could see something like
    this to keep the show going for it's full advertised duration...

    I know it's kind of a balancing act to try and attract vendors, games, and
    attendees to a show and not give them so many restrictions that they don't
    want to come, but sheesh- does the show have set hours or doesn't it?

    Just some errant thoughts...

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    Web: www.actionpinball.com

    > Also, anyone know why the CA show is only 2 days instead of 3 like most
    > shows? I definitely prefer 3 day shows. Again from my personal experience,
    > a 3-day show to me is really like a 2-day show- the show opens a bit later
    > than normal on the first day so you don't get a full day in. Then on the
    > last day the show closes eary and most vendors/exhibitors start pulling up
    > stakes even earlier and games start getting yanked out from the opening bell
    > so you don't get much of a "day" on the last day.

    We're tired :) Seriously, there would probably need to be a larger
    staff for it to be a 3-day event. That said, the behavior you describe
    about the "last day" (very true for most shows) is not seen at CA
    Extreme. We give free passes to people who bring games, contingent on
    those games staying (and working) until the end of the show. Others
    could chime in here, since I'm a little biased, but I know what you're
    talking about (the cold breeze at Pinball Expo at 2 pm Sunday) and it
    just doesn't happen. Good thing, too!

    > If you're a vendor, that doesn't give you very much "earning" time to make
    > money and cover your costs for going to the show and back, and may not be
    > worth the time to gather up all your inventory and drag it to the show, set
    > up, break down, move back, etc.

    That may be true. In the long run, a 3-day show is probably preferred,
    but man is it tiring ;)

    > The PAGG show this year was a disappointment to me for the final day- the
    > show normally closes at 5pm (I think they changed to 4pm this year) but 75%
    > of everything and everybody was gone about 1pm- really disappointing this
    > year. Many people have cut out early in past years, but this year was
    > really ridiculous. If I paid to get in as an attendee on Sunday I would
    > have asked for my money back. I told my wife I felt sorry for anyone that
    > paid to get in Sunday morning- they got ripped off.

    I've felt that way about Expo many times. Extreme runs until 9 pm on
    Sunday.

    > I'd really prefer a 3-day show and/or any show that requires the games and
    > vendors to stay put until a set time on the last day. Makes it worth your
    > while as a vendor and you get your money's worth as an attendee...

    Ah, so you agree then ;)

    > I know it's kind of a balancing act to try and attract vendors, games, and
    > attendees to a show and not give them so many restrictions that they don't
    > want to come, but sheesh- does the show have set hours or doesn't it?

    Since nearly all the CA Extreme games come from private collections and
    not from vendors, the policy we have in place seems to work very well,
    and we've had plenty of positive comments from people who've attended
    other shows expecting the last-day disappearances that never happen.
    (Not to mention the first-day disappearances that sometimes happen!) I
    think vendors should be able to do whatever they want, since (for the
    most part) they've paid for their space, plus whatever games they
    bring.

    You're absolutely right that if we advertise the show goes to 9 on the
    last day, it should really go to 9. And it does!

    See you in a couple weeks, thanks for making the trip from Utah!
    - Bowen

    The Steve Ritchie article says that he will be there!

    My friend was cussing the outlanes in STT*NG tonight. I told her to
    take the matter up with Steve when she meets him at CA Extreme. I
    wonder if he is tired of that question yet...

    John

    Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:

    > Also, anyone know why the CA show is only 2 days instead of 3 like most
    > shows? I definitely prefer 3 day shows. Again from my personal experience,
    > a 3-day show to me is really like a 2-day show- the show opens a bit later
    > than normal on the first day so you don't get a full day in. Then on the
    > last day the show closes eary and most vendors/exhibitors start pulling up
    > stakes even earlier and games start getting yanked out from the opening bell
    > so you don't get much of a "day" on the last day.
    >
    > So a 2-day show to me is really a 1-day show. Just based on past
    > experiences.

    We actually paid (I think) about 1200 per day extra in order to have
    the hall from Thursday AM to the following Tuesday...that amount of
    time is necessary to set up and tear down! Between 150 and 200 games
    come just from Ken & TJ alone, and there isn't a lot of spare labor
    to load trucks, haul, unload, set-up and go for another load. I
    think we've only finished "in the black" one time out of eight shows
    so far. I don't think we could push it another day, and then there is
    the factor of volunteers taking off from work, extra days of truck(s)
    rental, etc. I think we spend about $5K - 6K on trucks as it is. We
    don't have too many bail-outs before closing time on Sunday, usually
    just the out-of-towners who are generous enough to bring their
    games from far away. There's still plenty to play until closing on
    Sunday. We have a "penalty" charge for early withdrawal of sold
    games, and the sellers are aware of this and either charge the buyer
    or the game stays till closing. It's a fine balance to achieve without
    becoming fascists, but we've not had too many complaints.

    --Bob

    Bob Ellingson bobe@halted.com
    Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
    3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
    Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

    Thanks for the info- always good to know the costs and work that goes on
    "behind the scenes". Some shows and venues are definitely more expensive
    than others. All the efforts are definitely appreciated!

    Well, I will certainly be there in attendance so looking forward to checking
    it out.

    Thanks!

    Ray J.
    --

    "Bob E." <bobhsc@halted.com> wrote in message
    > Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
    > >
    > > Also, anyone know why the CA show is only 2 days instead of 3 like most
    > > shows? I definitely prefer 3 day shows. Again from my personal
    experience,
    > > a 3-day show to me is really like a 2-day show- the show opens a bit
    later
    > > than normal on the first day so you don't get a full day in. Then on
    the
    > > last day the show closes eary and most vendors/exhibitors start pulling
    up
    > > stakes even earlier and games start getting yanked out from the opening
    bell
    > > so you don't get much of a "day" on the last day.
    > >
    > > So a 2-day show to me is really a 1-day show. Just based on past
    > > experiences.
    > >

    > We actually paid (I think) about 1200 per day extra in order to have
    > the hall from Thursday AM to the following Tuesday...that amount of
    > time is necessary to set up and tear down! Between 150 and 200 games
    > come just from Ken & TJ alone, and there isn't a lot of spare labor
    > to load trucks, haul, unload, set-up and go for another load. I
    > think we've only finished "in the black" one time out of eight shows
    > so far. I don't think we could push it another day, and then there is
    > the factor of volunteers taking off from work, extra days of truck(s)
    > rental, etc. I think we spend about $5K - 6K on trucks as it is. We
    > don't have too many bail-outs before closing time on Sunday, usually
    > just the out-of-towners who are generous enough to bring their
    > games from far away. There's still plenty to play until closing on
    > Sunday. We have a "penalty" charge for early withdrawal of sold
    > games, and the sellers are aware of this and either charge the buyer
    > or the game stays till closing. It's a fine balance to achieve without
    > becoming fascists, but we've not had too many complaints.
    >
    > --Bob

    > Bob Ellingson bobe@halted.com
    > Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
    > 3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
    > Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

    I'll be going to one of the days (haven't decided which one yet).

    Mark

    My wife and I will be making the trip to the show. This will be our 1st
    visit to the CA Extreme!

    Bob Whitley
    St. Louis, MO

    moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'll be going to one of the days (haven't decided which one yet).
    >
    > Mark

    Which EM's are you selling???

    Woz

    "llabrevlis" <llabrevlis@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > 4 of us are driving down from Vancouver, bringing a couple of EM's to
    > sell. First CAX show for me. BTW, anyone else had trouble downloading
    > the flyer from the CAX site??

    I'm saddened you won't be there, chum :(

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!
    http://www.passionforpinball.com

    Look forwarding to meeting you, Bob! :)

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!
    http://www.passionforpinball.com

    I'm looking for a ride from San Diego - anyone in the area got room for
    one? (I did reply to one posting about a ride from So Cal but no
    response, yet).

    TBK = The Biggest Kid
    Looking for pin tourneys in So. Cal

    --