Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading with windows 7 OEM

Last response: in Windows 7
November 8, 2012 3:53:46 PM

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before. (no doubt it has)

I know the motherboard can't be replaced when windows 7 OEM is installed, but what about the other components? Can I add a GPU, soundcard, more HDDs ect, after installation and replace/upgrade them as many times as I want?

I'd just like to be certain about this before I buy.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

More about : upgrading windows oem

a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 3:59:15 PM

License is tied to the motherboard. You can replace other components as necessary. There is a limitation on the number of automatic activations allowed but you can always use the phone activation option.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 176 V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 4:07:50 PM

I have used the OEM version of Windows and have changed the motherboard , cpu , hard drives and just about everything else and still was able to activate. What happens is you just wont be able to activate online and you have to call and verify that you have just the one computer and then the screen gives you an Id code which you give on the phone and then they give you an activation code back to be entered in and then your all set.
You can actually replace any part you want it's when you go to reinstall Windows that you get the phone activation.
I just did a motherboard ,cpu, and ram replacement and with the hard drive still having Windows installed I didn't have to do anything. Just load the new drivers.
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 4:43:43 PM

inzone said:
I have used the OEM version of Windows and have changed the motherboard , cpu , hard drives and just about everything else and still was able to activate. What happens is you just wont be able to activate online and you have to call and verify that you have just the one computer and then the screen gives you an Id code which you give on the phone and then they give you an activation code back to be entered in and then your all set.
You can actually replace any part you want it's when you go to reinstall Windows that you get the phone activation.
I just did a motherboard ,cpu, and ram replacement and with the hard drive still having Windows installed I didn't have to do anything. Just load the new drivers.

Not questioning that this has happened / is happening. But that goes against the terms of the OEM license and is technically illegal and ill advised.

To OP. You may replace any and all hardware except the MOBO. Mobo may be replaced for a like model if it fails and if a like model does not exist or has been discontinued then they do allow a replacement for those cases. I don't suggest relying on being able to change the mobo as the above comment clearly shows he has and it can be done. As it is VERY possible you will be stopped dead in your tracks and possible they will deem the Product Key Invalid due to fraudulent activity.

My .02 cents. Not trying to offend :D 
a b $ Windows 7
a c 176 V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 5:09:48 PM

It's not illegal or illadvised if Microsoft approves such actions. I have switched motherboards before and had to call Microsoft for activation which they did do , so by them activating the Windows install does not mean it's illegal and this was done with an oem version.
I had a Windows XP Pro 64 bit OEM version of Windows that I used for years before Win 7 came out and I can tell you I had at least four different motherboards that were swapped in and out but always on the same computer and that's what Microsoft asked when I made the call to activate.
The whole point about legality is this , it was the same computer and not a different or additional computer. You are allowed an install on your computer and then you can change the components that you want as many times as you want as long as it's verified by Microsoft and it'sd for your personal use.
November 8, 2012 5:29:33 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
License is tied to the motherboard. You can replace other components as necessary. There is a limitation on the number of automatic activations allowed but you can always use the phone activation option.

Ok, and how many automatic activations am I allowed?
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 5:31:27 PM

Pmckenna said:
Ok, and how many automatic activations am I allowed?

You'll know when you reach the limit. Microsoft doesn't publicize such things.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 176 V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 5:34:59 PM

I never did reach the limit , it seemed like whenever I had to make the activation I just had to do the phone process and even though there are legal requirements you still paid for the operating system and you should be able to use it for you computer no matter how many times you need to activate.
November 8, 2012 6:15:26 PM

Alrighty then, so no downsides to OEM besides phoning in the activation once I've reached the limit and paying for support from Microsoft?
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 6:24:27 PM

inzone said:
It's not illegal or illadvised if Microsoft approves such actions. I have switched motherboards before and had to call Microsoft for activation which they did do , so by them activating the Windows install does not mean it's illegal and this was done with an oem version.
I had a Windows XP Pro 64 bit OEM version of Windows that I used for years before Win 7 came out and I can tell you I had at least four different motherboards that were swapped in and out but always on the same computer and that's what Microsoft asked when I made the call to activate.
The whole point about legality is this , it was the same computer and not a different or additional computer. You are allowed an install on your computer and then you can change the components that you want as many times as you want as long as it's verified by Microsoft and it'sd for your personal use.

*edit* fair enough on the same computer. Your right if they say it's good to go on the same pc. Im speaking more from a different build. I should have read the above more carefully. But regardless.. i think we are on the same page. A new build requires a new license.

I'm sorry but that's incorrect. Go to Microsoft website and there they have the terms and conditions for an OEM license. Regardless if an agent in a call center in phillipines gives u an activation code that does not make it Legal. If it's a new system an OEM version can only be used on that single computer. (keep in mind i already explained mobos can be replaced for special circumstances) If your calling microsoft telling them it's the same computer and just reinstalling and they re activate you do risk the chance of having that key marked as invalid due to fraudulent activity. It can and DOES happen. Trust me. Ive called the activation line at least a 1000 times this year alone. A lot of what I do at work is build computers.

You are either 1 confused on your OEM VS RETAIL license. Retail you may install on a new machine as long as you uninstall it from the one it was on. Or 2... Your explaining it to Microsoft in a way that they believe your still using the same machine (not exactly ethical) or 3. Getting lucky and getting agents that just want to get through the call and aren't following the proper guidelines.

Im 110% certain on the rules im applying here.

Again not trying to say your shady. My belief is just misinformed. Here is Microsoft link to OEM licenses and a quick line from it.

"You are required to support the license on that original PC, but you cannot support a license that has been moved from a PC that you manufactured to one that you did not."

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/P...
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 6:26:05 PM

Pmckenna said:
Alrighty then, so no downsides to OEM besides phoning in the activation once I've reached the limit and paying for support from Microsoft?

OEM is what most people use. It's cheaper. It is tied to that system and non transferable to a new build. That's the only rule you need to consider when making your purchase.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 176 V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 6:59:24 PM

1. I'm not confused and I do know the difference between OEM and Retail as because of Microsofts policy of one liscense one macine I do have several copies of Windows. Both retail and oem.
2. Any time I spoke with Microsoft I answered the quetions they asked. They asked if I had one computer and I said yes. That's not misleading since I've always had just one computer at a time.
3. Half the time it was a recording and the other half it was basicly one question and if there had been more then I would have answered more.
4. You should realize that just maybe Microsoft isn't all that strict when it comes to the indevidual enduser that is honest enough to be calling in the first place instead of someone that is trying to make illegal coppies and pirating activation codes. Anyone that calls a thiousand times in one year is not a private enduser and is dealing at a buisness level so your dealinf with Microsoft at a different level then the rest of us.
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 7:19:21 PM

inzone said:
4. You should realize that just maybe Microsoft isn't all that strict when it comes to the indevidual enduser that is honest enough to be calling in the first place instead of someone that is trying to make illegal coppies and pirating activation codes. Anyone that calls a thiousand times in one year is not a private enduser and is dealing at a buisness level so your dealinf with Microsoft at a different level then the rest of us.

I do realize that. I also realize that majority of workers you call are not even Microsoft employees. They are call center employees. Usually outsourced by companies like Sitel, Convergys etc etc. Just because you get away with something doesn't mean it's right... I never argued the fact that it's possible. I'm just trying to give the Quote on Quote correct answer. I understand the licensing rules.. :/  I deal with it on a daily basis. N e ways it's a pointless argument. Ive linked Microsoft's understanding of it and until i can be proven other wise by Microsoft. I'm just done.
November 8, 2012 8:14:32 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. You've all been great!
November 8, 2012 8:15:50 PM

Best answer selected by Pmckenna.
a c 373 $ Windows 7
a c 673 V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 8:56:22 PM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
!