Broadband Networking Utility Failure

Today I went to open my Microsoft Broadband Networking
Utility to see if my Base station was seeing one of the
computers which are hardwired to my network. I got the
following error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error
Program... MSBNUtil.exe
abnormal program termination

This error pops up on all my computers on the network. Any
ideas as to what is happening & how can I solve the problem.

Thanks.

Are you running any skinning software on your computers?
Alternatively, ATI's Hydravision has been known to cause this same error.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"MJLeahy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Today I went to open my Microsoft Broadband Networking
> Utility to see if my Base station was seeing one of the
> computers which are hardwired to my network. I got the
> following error message:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> Runtime Error
> Program... MSBNUtil.exe
> abnormal program termination
>
> This error pops up on all my computers on the network. Any
> ideas as to what is happening & how can I solve the problem.
>
> Thanks.

joker

Or are you running Windows 2003 server?

Which is not a supported OS.

Jason Tsang wrote:

> Are you running any skinning software on your computers?
> Alternatively, ATI's Hydravision has been known to cause this same error.

I am running XP Home SP-1. Yes I have started using WindowBlinds.

"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Or are you running Windows 2003 server?
>
> Which is not a supported OS.
>
> Jason Tsang wrote:
>
> > Are you running any skinning software on your computers?
> > Alternatively, ATI's Hydravision has been known to cause this same
error.

joker

Well tell Windows blinds to stop effecting the BNU and the error will go
away. Or just uninstall the software since it is only needed to
configure wireless computers on OS's that don't fully support wireless
connections unlike Windows XP.

Martin J. Leahy, Esq. wrote:

> I am running XP Home SP-1. Yes I have started using WindowBlinds.
>
> "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
>
>>Or are you running Windows 2003 server?
>>
>>Which is not a supported OS.
>>
>>Jason Tsang wrote:
>>

>>>Are you running any skinning software on your computers?
>>>Alternatively, ATI's Hydravision has been known to cause this same
>
> error.

Remove it or add the MSBNU exe to the exceptions list of items that
Windowsblinds can skin.

--

"Martin J. Leahy, Esq." <MBALeahy@rcn.com> wrote in message
>I am running XP Home SP-1. Yes I have started using WindowBlinds.
>
> "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
>> Or are you running Windows 2003 server?
>>
>> Which is not a supported OS.
>>
>> Jason Tsang wrote:
>>
>> > Are you running any skinning software on your computers?
>> > Alternatively, ATI's Hydravision has been known to cause this same
> error.

That's my problem - I moved from 2000 server to 2003
server on a new box to control the home network, and
reinstalled the broadband Setup and Network Utility from
CD. That worked without disrupting the MN-100 - it's
still happily serving the whole network and is accessible
from the Broadband Network Utility and Base Station
Management Tool from the 2003 server. Trying to apply the
critical update, however, generates a Visual C++ Runtime
Error:
"This application has requested the RunTime to terminate
it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's
support team for more information."

I guess I would if I had a way to... so much for applying
the critical update.

Running the BNU under Windows 2000 or 2003 server are not supported
configurations.

You can do everything without the BNU software.
All the configuration can be done via the Base Station Management Tool
through your web browser (http://192.168.2.1 or whatever the lan ip of the
router is).

--

"Chris Strauss" <strauss@unt.edu> wrote in message
> That's my problem - I moved from 2000 server to 2003
> server on a new box to control the home network, and
> reinstalled the broadband Setup and Network Utility from
> CD. That worked without disrupting the MN-100 - it's
> still happily serving the whole network and is accessible
> from the Broadband Network Utility and Base Station
> Management Tool from the 2003 server. Trying to apply the
> critical update, however, generates a Visual C++ Runtime
> Error:
> "This application has requested the RunTime to terminate
> it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's
> support team for more information."
>
> I guess I would if I had a way to... so much for applying
> the critical update.

Hi Jason,

Regarding this error - what is the procedure to update the MN-700 ? (server
2k3 OS). I downloaded the msbndownload.exe but get the Visual C++ Runtime
error.

So I installed the MSBNSoftware.exe in the hopes that that would help. It
it's a bit confused, as the server is dual homed, with an MN-700 as AP on
the internal network, with a MN-500 on the other segmet connected to the
internet. I don't think the MSBNS understands this, but if you say it's not
supported on the OS then that probably explains it.

I get a pop-up that updates are ready, install now ? I click OK, and whiz
bang in about 3 seconds it's done. But the popup appears regularaly so I
guess the updates are released regularaly ;-).

I don't know how to apply the update to either router, or even if the update
is applicalble to both ;-(.

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
-------------------------------------

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> Running the BNU under Windows 2000 or 2003 server are not supported
> configurations.
>
> You can do everything without the BNU software.
> All the configuration can be done via the Base Station Management Tool
> through your web browser (http://192.168.2.1 or whatever the lan ip of the
> router is).
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "Chris Strauss" <strauss@unt.edu> wrote in message
>> That's my problem - I moved from 2000 server to 2003
>> server on a new box to control the home network, and
>> reinstalled the broadband Setup and Network Utility from
>> CD. That worked without disrupting the MN-100 - it's
>> still happily serving the whole network and is accessible
>> from the Broadband Network Utility and Base Station
>> Management Tool from the 2003 server. Trying to apply the
>> critical update, however, generates a Visual C++ Runtime
>> Error:
>> "This application has requested the RunTime to terminate
>> it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's
>> support team for more information."
>>
>> I guess I would if I had a way to... so much for applying
>> the critical update.

I wonder why I don't just connect the MN-700 to an XP box and update it from
there ?

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
-------------------------------------

"Les Connor" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Jason,
>
> Regarding this error - what is the procedure to update the MN-700 ?
> (server 2k3 OS). I downloaded the msbndownload.exe but get the Visual C++
> Runtime error.
>
> So I installed the MSBNSoftware.exe in the hopes that that would help. It
> it's a bit confused, as the server is dual homed, with an MN-700 as AP on
> the internal network, with a MN-500 on the other segmet connected to the
> internet. I don't think the MSBNS understands this, but if you say it's
> not supported on the OS then that probably explains it.
>
> I get a pop-up that updates are ready, install now ? I click OK, and whiz
> bang in about 3 seconds it's done. But the popup appears regularaly so I
> guess the updates are released regularaly ;-).
>
> I don't know how to apply the update to either router, or even if the
> update is applicalble to both ;-(.
>
> --
> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
> -------------------------------------
> SBS Rocks !
>

> "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Running the BNU under Windows 2000 or 2003 server are not supported
>> configurations.
>>
>> You can do everything without the BNU software.
>> All the configuration can be done via the Base Station Management Tool
>> through your web browser (http://192.168.2.1 or whatever the lan ip of
>> the router is).
>>
>> --
>> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>>
>> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>>
>> "Chris Strauss" <strauss@unt.edu> wrote in message
>>> That's my problem - I moved from 2000 server to 2003
>>> server on a new box to control the home network, and
>>> reinstalled the broadband Setup and Network Utility from
>>> CD. That worked without disrupting the MN-100 - it's
>>> still happily serving the whole network and is accessible
>>> from the Broadband Network Utility and Base Station
>>> Management Tool from the 2003 server. Trying to apply the
>>> critical update, however, generates a Visual C++ Runtime
>>> Error:
>>> "This application has requested the RunTime to terminate
>>> it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's
>>> support team for more information."
>>>
>>> I guess I would if I had a way to... so much for applying
>>> the critical update.

Upgrade from a computer not using Server 2k3.

In addition, if you don't need to use the BNU, don't use it.
It doesn't do anything that you can't do already (only major exception is if
you are using Win9x or Win2k and need it to setup encryption on a wireless
nic)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Les Connor" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Jason,
>
> Regarding this error - what is the procedure to update the MN-700 ?
> (server 2k3 OS). I downloaded the msbndownload.exe but get the Visual C++
> Runtime error.
>
> So I installed the MSBNSoftware.exe in the hopes that that would help. It
> it's a bit confused, as the server is dual homed, with an MN-700 as AP on
> the internal network, with a MN-500 on the other segmet connected to the
> internet. I don't think the MSBNS understands this, but if you say it's
> not supported on the OS then that probably explains it.
>
> I get a pop-up that updates are ready, install now ? I click OK, and whiz
> bang in about 3 seconds it's done. But the popup appears regularaly so I
> guess the updates are released regularaly ;-).
>
> I don't know how to apply the update to either router, or even if the
> update is applicalble to both ;-(.
>
> --
> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
> -------------------------------------
> SBS Rocks !
>

> "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Running the BNU under Windows 2000 or 2003 server are not supported
>> configurations.
>>
>> You can do everything without the BNU software.
>> All the configuration can be done via the Base Station Management Tool
>> through your web browser (http://192.168.2.1 or whatever the lan ip of
>> the router is).
>>
>> --
>> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>>
>> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>>
>> "Chris Strauss" <strauss@unt.edu> wrote in message
>>> That's my problem - I moved from 2000 server to 2003
>>> server on a new box to control the home network, and
>>> reinstalled the broadband Setup and Network Utility from
>>> CD. That worked without disrupting the MN-100 - it's
>>> still happily serving the whole network and is accessible
>>> from the Broadband Network Utility and Base Station
>>> Management Tool from the 2003 server. Trying to apply the
>>> critical update, however, generates a Visual C++ Runtime
>>> Error:
>>> "This application has requested the RunTime to terminate
>>> it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's
>>> support team for more information."
>>>
>>> I guess I would if I had a way to... so much for applying
>>> the critical update.

Thanks, I came conclusion after I asked, then had to wonder why I asked the
question ;-) I guess our replies crossed.

Or was it telepathy of some kind, I don't know.

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]