pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
the heating?

Thing of the past...now amd cpus put out about the same (if not less) heat than the p4's...

which one is better? if you can afford a p4c...go for it...if not the barton 2500 is a good cpu...and a damn fine overclocker...

Just remember though...if you are a harcore gamer...spend your money on the gpu...as long as you get a current cpu...the gpu should make the most diffrence in the games...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piii_Man on 09/04/03 04:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
yes. amd can be trusted.
it's always on price/performance ratio.
But not with the upcoming A64, because they'll be price very high, wait till next year.

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
the heating?

Thing of the past...now amd cpus put out about the same (if not less) heat than the p4's...
That's a bit of a misnomer. AMD's dies are smaller too, so while they produce a bit less heat, they also have less surface area to conduct that heat away over. It's no where near the concern that it used to be, what with good heatsinks being affordable and commonplace these days, but there still is a subtle difference.

There is also that most Intel mobos will efficiently mount some pretty powerful heatsinks, while AMD mobos still often have cramped working space for a big heatsink and for some reason a lot of AMD mobos are still lacking the holes for mounting a heatsink straight to the mobo. It's getting a tad absurd really to find just the right parts to build an AMD system with the perfect air cooling solution. :\ I really wish AMD would implement some better mechanical standards there.

Still, the heart of what you mean, that the usual cooling of both an AXP and a P4 are pretty easy to do. Neither product is difficult to work with for the typical setup.

<font color=blue>If you look <font color=purple>The Devil</font color=purple><font color=red>®</font color=red> straight in the eye and only see yourself then you must be standing in front of a mirror.</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<sarcasm>
Can i trust AMD?
Are you afraid that AMD has installed subliminal mind probes into their CPUs or something?

WHAT DO U THINK ABOU IT.
'It' was a pretty lame movie, or technically a miniseries I guess. I mean come on, a clown that's really just a giant spider that screws with kids minds? Talk about goofy and lame. Maybe the book was better though. It could have just been the cheesy special effects which ruined the whole thing. Then again, it <i>still</i> sounds pretty lame...

I AM TALKING about the performance the heating.
The performance of the heating? Do you need to replace the filters on your furnace? Have you checked the LP tank level? It's often the simple things...

Which of them do u prefer??
Well actually, I prefer grammar. I mean what's the point of knowing a language if you're only going to abuse it badly? But if I had to choose between heating and performance I'd probably lean towards performance. I mean who wants a lot of heat?
</sarcasm>

Okay, you probably think that my responses are stupid. However, they're no more stupid than your questions.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with AMD. Their CPUs perform pretty well (especially considering their age) and unless you're an extremist they're no harder to cool or to work with than any P4.

AMD has been pretty good competition for low-to-mid range x86. Their high-end is a bit overrated though and not really worth the money in my opinion. Plus you can overclock a good TBredB 1700+ or Barton 2500+ quite well, which while not an option for all people, can help greatly improve the enthusiast's performance at a nice low price.

There are plenty of good reasons to buy AMD. And there are plenty of good reasons to buy Intel. There are even occasional (but rare) good reasons to buy other x86 CPUs. The more open your mind, the more options that you have available to you.

<font color=blue>If you look <font color=purple>The Devil</font color=purple><font color=red>®</font color=red> straight in the eye and only see yourself then you must be standing in front of a mirror.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LMAO! I would have expected such a response from someone like me, but you? Wow, I didn't know you had It in you!

Congratulations!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
If your working to a budget AMD can be a damn fine option as it gives you a nice chunk of cash left over to invest in a good graphics processor. Also AMD completly kicks Intels ass at a mid range price/performance comparison ( please no one start me on Intels celeron range) Then again if you want to be the top dog on the block the 800mhz fsb Intel chips definatly pack a punch. I wouldn't be concerned about the issues you raised as has been stated by others, the AMD chips are just as user friendly as Apple ever was.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
All of us don´t speak perfect english. Anyway this is a forum where you are suppose to help people or get some help from others.

Whats the point in being rude to people who wants your help ???

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Let me quote the original post:

Can i trust AMD?WHAT DO U THINK ABOU IT.I AM TALKING about the performance the heating.Which of them do u prefer??

Let's assume his english isn't very good and let's rewrite this to show at least moderate ammount of intelligence.

Lets start with some simple modifications for readability reasons... this has nothing to do with someone's ability to speak/write english and everything to do with showing a moderate ammount of intelligence and respect for the people being tortured into reading your posts...

Can I trust AMD? What do you think about it? I am talking about the performance the heating. Which of them do you prefer?

Wow, this is an entirely different appearing piece of work. Amazing.

Now lets fix it up with things a foreigner may not understand (and I'm guessing at his original meanings here):

Is AMD a trustworthy company to deal with? What do you think about the performance of AMD's cooling soluttion? Do you prefer AMD or Intel and why?

At this point, it's a fully readable, understandable work that can be properly answered. That *trash* at the top wasn't worth responding to period. Silv was absolutely right in ripping him up.

The point isn't to have perfect grammer and sentance structure, but rather to get your point across in as clear a way as possible (with your current knowledge level). Not bothering to use spaces, random capitals, and not bothering to glance at the final product is plain stupid if you care about receiving a good answer.

Also as a side point, I've never seen a foreigner lambaste a post that badly-- generally they are very careful to be as readable as possible because they understand that some of their syntaxing may not be correct. I am very impressed with the effort and success I see many of the foreigners making to be understood clearly.

Shadus