Export e-mail out of Outlook?...

August 27, 2005 4:37:23 PM

I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always exported to
a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but viewing e-mail on a
spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is not the best solution.

Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder I'd like
to back up every so often and be able to search and read through it. Even if
it exports all the e-mails into one long document, or PDF, that would be
great. Ideally I would like to save the attachments too but that is less
critical.

I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works with
that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking for a good way
to export all my emails to a normal readable file..thanks!

Frank

--
http://www.mediaartist.com/
"Media Artist Secrets"

More about : export mail outlook

August 27, 2005 4:37:24 PM

I would also like to know that. Keep me up if you will. Also, when I open
OUTLOOK, it won't open a .gif image, anyone know how to fix that?? Thanks.

"frank" wrote:

> I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always exported to
> a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but viewing e-mail on a
> spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is not the best solution.
>
> Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder I'd like
> to back up every so often and be able to search and read through it. Even if
> it exports all the e-mails into one long document, or PDF, that would be
> great. Ideally I would like to save the attachments too but that is less
> critical.
>
> I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works with
> that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking for a good way
> to export all my emails to a normal readable file..thanks!
>
> Frank
>
> --
> http://www.mediaartist.com/
> "Media Artist Secrets"
> The Blog for Creative Professionals

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:37:25 PM

Outlook Express saves each individual folder name to an equivalent
..Dbx file. Outlook uses a .Pst (Personal Folders). For simple backup
you would just need to copy either the .Dbx or .Pst files to a backup
location or media. In Outlook it has a provision for Auto Archive, it
works on a fixed schedule and moves older (Selectable) emails into an
Archive.Pst. You can also create custom folders and use the "Move"
function to manually relocate your mail. Not sure exactly which email
client you're speaking about as Outlook and Outlook Express are very
frequently interchanged in postings.

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would also like to know that. Keep me up if you will. Also, when I open
> OUTLOOK, it won't open a .gif image, anyone know how to fix that??
> Thanks.
>
> "frank" wrote:
>
>> I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always exported
>> a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but viewing e-mail on
>> spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is not the best solution.
>>
>> Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder I'd
>> like
>> to back up every so often and be able to search and read through it. Even
>> if
>> it exports all the e-mails into one long document, or PDF, that would be
>> great. Ideally I would like to save the attachments too but that is less
>> critical.
>>
>> I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works with
>> that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking for a good
>> way
>> to export all my emails to a normal readable file..thanks!
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> --
>> http://www.mediaartist.com/
>> "Media Artist Secrets"
>> The Blog for Creative Professionals

Related resources
August 27, 2005 7:12:20 PM

I have posted this a few places, and every answer is "oh, yes to back up a
pst file..."

which is not what i want, so perhaps I need to re-ask the question, may not
be clear.

I need a way to export e-mails out of outlook so I can read them without
outlook, a long text document, html or whatever.

Thanks!

--

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Outlook Express saves each individual folder name to an equivalent
> .Dbx file. Outlook uses a .Pst (Personal Folders). For simple backup
> you would just need to copy either the .Dbx or .Pst files to a backup
> location or media. In Outlook it has a provision for Auto Archive, it
> works on a fixed schedule and moves older (Selectable) emails into an
> Archive.Pst. You can also create custom folders and use the "Move"
> function to manually relocate your mail. Not sure exactly which email
> client you're speaking about as Outlook and Outlook Express are very
> frequently interchanged in postings.
>
> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I would also like to know that. Keep me up if you will. Also, when I
>>open
>> OUTLOOK, it won't open a .gif image, anyone know how to fix that??
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "frank" wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always exported
>>> a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but viewing e-mail on
>>> spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is not the best solution.
>>>
>>> Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder I'd
>>> like
>>> to back up every so often and be able to search and read through it.
>>> Even if
>>> it exports all the e-mails into one long document, or PDF, that would be
>>> great. Ideally I would like to save the attachments too but that is less
>>> critical.
>>>
>>> I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works with
>>> that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking for a good
>>> way
>>> to export all my emails to a normal readable file..thanks!
>>>
>>> Frank
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.mediaartist.com/
>>> "Media Artist Secrets"
>>> The Blog for Creative Professionals

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:34:33 PM

I can give you one way to do this manually. But if you want to do this
programmtically then you need to use VBA. But here is the manual way. Get
Pocketknife Peek and install it

http://www.xintercept.com/pkpeek.htm

Then select you message and hit the Pocketknife Peek button in the toolbar.
There will be a HTML Source tab that will be populated if the mail is in
HTML. Go to Edit | Select all | Copy. Then open Notepad and paste. Save
as of file type All and name it to messagesubject.htm.

That's that. Open it in IE. Remember most email has very poorly written
HTML so you may have to clean it up some. Oh you can get the Subject out of
the Internet Headers tab.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"frank" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o p%Pe.36008$Hx4.29198@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> I have posted this a few places, and every answer is "oh, yes to back up a
> pst file..."
>
> which is not what i want, so perhaps I need to re-ask the question, may
not
> be clear.
>
> I need a way to export e-mails out of outlook so I can read them without
> outlook, a long text document, html or whatever.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> http://www.mediaartist.com/
> "Media Artist Secrets"
> The Blog for Creative Professionals
>

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Outlook Express saves each individual folder name to an equivalent
> > .Dbx file. Outlook uses a .Pst (Personal Folders). For simple backup
> > you would just need to copy either the .Dbx or .Pst files to a backup
> > location or media. In Outlook it has a provision for Auto Archive, it
> > works on a fixed schedule and moves older (Selectable) emails into an
> > Archive.Pst. You can also create custom folders and use the "Move"
> > function to manually relocate your mail. Not sure exactly which email
> > client you're speaking about as Outlook and Outlook Express are very
> > frequently interchanged in postings.
> >
> > "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I would also like to know that. Keep me up if you will. Also, when I
> >>open
> >> OUTLOOK, it won't open a .gif image, anyone know how to fix that??
> >> Thanks.

I'd

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:47:23 PM

Frank's referring to MS Outlook, not Outlook Express.
--
~PA Bear

V Green wrote:
> I feel your pain on this. I've been looking
> for this ability for some time - can't believe
> what an oversight this is.
>
> Here's what I've come up with, after a few ideas
> from the Inside OE site:
<snip>

> "frank" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o p%Pe.36008$Hx4.29198@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> > I have posted this a few places, and every answer is "oh, yes to back
> > up a pst file..."
> >
> > which is not what i want, so perhaps I need to re-ask the question, may
> > not be clear.
> >
> > I need a way to export e-mails out of outlook so I can read them without
> > outlook, a long text document, html or whatever.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:47:24 PM

Oops, you're right...

but maybe this would work there as well.

Somebody should look...

news:o WzVpD1qFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Frank's referring to MS Outlook, not Outlook Express.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> V Green wrote:
> > I feel your pain on this. I've been looking
> > for this ability for some time - can't believe
> > what an oversight this is.
> >
> > Here's what I've come up with, after a few ideas
> > from the Inside OE site:
> <snip>
> >
> > "frank" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:o p%Pe.36008$Hx4.29198@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> > > I have posted this a few places, and every answer is "oh, yes to back
> > > up a pst file..."
> > >
> > > which is not what i want, so perhaps I need to re-ask the question,
may
> > > not be clear.
> > >
> > > I need a way to export e-mails out of outlook so I can read them
without
> > > outlook, a long text document, html or whatever.

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:47:52 PM

Try posting to an Outlook-specific newsgroup:

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

frank wrote:
> I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always exported
> to a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but viewing e-mail
> on a spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is not the best
> solution.
>
> Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder I'd
> like to back up every so often and be able to search and read through it.
> Even if it exports all the e-mails into one long document, or PDF, that
> would be great. Ideally I would like to save the attachments too but that
> is less critical.
>
> I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works with
> that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking for a good
> way to export all my emails to a normal readable file..thanks!
>
> Frank
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:00:00 AM

You can download Netscape 7.2 which can import all your Outlook files and save as text files which can be read in and text file reader such as Notepad, Wordpad, Wordperfect, Word etc etc including those old FREE DOS text editors which we used to write our C, C++ and Pascal programs!!!

Hope this proves useful.
PS: I wanted to go to India but my job went instead so I am here to wind people up!! Those half naked indian fakirs are doing my job now!!!

!