Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Keyboard Error on Startup

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 28, 2005 2:51:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2, fully updated.

I have purchased a Microsoft Cordless Keyboard and Mouse unit. I have
installed the software and when it is operating all functions work fine. It
is connected to a USB Port. Both the Keyboard and Mouse are shown in Device
Manager with no conflicts

When the computer is restarted I get a message that there is a keyboard
error or the keyboard is not found. I then have to close down using the
power button.

I then change the connection to the PS/2 Ports and boot the computer,
Windows recognised the Keyboard and Windows loads normally but the mouse is
inoperative. I then have to disengage the PS/2 Connections and plug the USB
connection in the USB port, windows then finds the hardware and installs it
and all is fine from then on, unless I reboot and then I have to follow the
same sequence.

Can anyone assist me with this please as it is getting quite frustrating and
I can't find the solution.


--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

More about : keyboard error startup

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:51:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Joe" wrote:

> I am using Windows XP Pro SP2, fully updated.
>
> I have purchased a Microsoft Cordless Keyboard and Mouse unit. I have
> installed the software and when it is operating all functions work fine. It
> is connected to a USB Port. Both the Keyboard and Mouse are shown in Device
> Manager with no conflicts
>
> When the computer is restarted I get a message that there is a keyboard
> error or the keyboard is not found. I then have to close down using the
> power button.
>
> I then change the connection to the PS/2 Ports and boot the computer,
> Windows recognised the Keyboard and Windows loads normally but the mouse is
> inoperative. I then have to disengage the PS/2 Connections and plug the USB
> connection in the USB port, windows then finds the hardware and installs it
> and all is fine from then on, unless I reboot and then I have to follow the
> same sequence.
>
> Can anyone assist me with this please as it is getting quite frustrating and
> I can't find the solution.
>
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania
>

This is most likely a problem with your BIOS instead of Windows. It sounds
to me like your BIOS is not configured to detect USB yet.
August 28, 2005 4:49:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for your reply Jaren, but if the BIOS wasn't configured as you say
why would the other applications like Scanner, Printer, digital camera and
flash drive, in addition to others work OK?

Any further thoughts?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania
"Jaren" <Jaren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:977BE72E-B5D3-404B-A076-E67512336F71@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Joe" wrote:
>
>> I am using Windows XP Pro SP2, fully updated.
>>
>> I have purchased a Microsoft Cordless Keyboard and Mouse unit. I have
>> installed the software and when it is operating all functions work fine.
>> It
>> is connected to a USB Port. Both the Keyboard and Mouse are shown in
>> Device
>> Manager with no conflicts
>>
>> When the computer is restarted I get a message that there is a keyboard
>> error or the keyboard is not found. I then have to close down using the
>> power button.
>>
>> I then change the connection to the PS/2 Ports and boot the computer,
>> Windows recognised the Keyboard and Windows loads normally but the mouse
>> is
>> inoperative. I then have to disengage the PS/2 Connections and plug the
>> USB
>> connection in the USB port, windows then finds the hardware and installs
>> it
>> and all is fine from then on, unless I reboot and then I have to follow
>> the
>> same sequence.
>>
>> Can anyone assist me with this please as it is getting quite frustrating
>> and
>> I can't find the solution.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Joe
>> Tasmania
>>
>
> This is most likely a problem with your BIOS instead of Windows. It sounds
> to me like your BIOS is not configured to detect USB yet.
Related resources
August 28, 2005 4:49:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Joe wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Jaren, but if the BIOS wasn't configured as you
> say why would the other applications like Scanner, Printer, digital
> camera and flash drive, in addition to others work OK?
>
> Any further thoughts?
>
Because the scanner, printer, etc. are recognized by the operating
system and you need your keyboard to be recognized by the computer
before the operating system starts. There will be a setting in your
BIOS to enable USB - probably it will say "Legacy USB" - and you need
to do that if you want a USB keyboard to be recognized before the
operating starts.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 28, 2005 6:32:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Malke, your explanation enables me to see the logic of what Jaren
said.

I have gone into the BIOS but nowhere can I find a setting to enable USB as
such, but when I open the Integrated Peripherals Section I see that USB
0,1,2.2.0 Access Interface are all set to EDB Bus.

Also the SIS Onchip PCI Device/SIS USB Controller/2.0 Support and Keyboard
Support are enabled.

I cannot find any reference to Legacy either unless it's somewhere I can't
find.

Are you able to offer me any further help please

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania
"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:o QIsEqxqFHA.240@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Joe wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your reply Jaren, but if the BIOS wasn't configured as you
>> say why would the other applications like Scanner, Printer, digital
>> camera and flash drive, in addition to others work OK?
>>
>> Any further thoughts?
>>
> Because the scanner, printer, etc. are recognized by the operating
> system and you need your keyboard to be recognized by the computer
> before the operating system starts. There will be a setting in your
> BIOS to enable USB - probably it will say "Legacy USB" - and you need
> to do that if you want a USB keyboard to be recognized before the
> operating starts.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 28, 2005 6:32:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Joe wrote:

> Thanks Malke, your explanation enables me to see the logic of what
> Jaren said.
>
> I have gone into the BIOS but nowhere can I find a setting to enable
> USB as such, but when I open the Integrated Peripherals Section I see
> that USB 0,1,2.2.0 Access Interface are all set to EDB Bus.
>
> Also the SIS Onchip PCI Device/SIS USB Controller/2.0 Support and
> Keyboard Support are enabled.
>
> I cannot find any reference to Legacy either unless it's somewhere I
> can't find.
>
> Are you able to offer me any further help please
>
Apparently your computer is set properly to recognize USB devices on
boot. Your next step is to contact the makers of the keyboard for tech
support.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 28, 2005 11:03:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Malke, I will give Microsoft a call when they open again on Monday.

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania
"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:%23UAlJ9yqFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Joe wrote:
>
>> Thanks Malke, your explanation enables me to see the logic of what
>> Jaren said.
>>
>> I have gone into the BIOS but nowhere can I find a setting to enable
>> USB as such, but when I open the Integrated Peripherals Section I see
>> that USB 0,1,2.2.0 Access Interface are all set to EDB Bus.
>>
>> Also the SIS Onchip PCI Device/SIS USB Controller/2.0 Support and
>> Keyboard Support are enabled.
>>
>> I cannot find any reference to Legacy either unless it's somewhere I
>> can't find.
>>
>> Are you able to offer me any further help please
>>
> Apparently your computer is set properly to recognize USB devices on
> boot. Your next step is to contact the makers of the keyboard for tech
> support.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
!