Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Initially, it just seemed like totally random and spontaneous reboots. But
after I reconfigured XP to not autorestart on crashes, now I'm getting
BSODs.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

This seems to happen at 2 times.
1) Completely random, with no obvious ties to any activity.
2) When a USB device is disconnected. Windows acknowledges the removal with
a bong, but then BSOD crashes seconds later.

Both are extremely intermittent and it may be a week or more in between
crashes. I can sit there and insert and remove USB devices (a Creative USB
MP3 Player) until I'm blue in the face and never see a crash.

This is a home built PC with an ASUS motherboard running XP Home. The
system has been reliable for many years but just started this in the last
several months.

I'm current on all service packs, updates, and whatever else I've been able
to find.

Thanks for any ideas you might have on how to trouble shoot this.

Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Are you closing the application you are using prior to disconnecting the
device? Try disconnecting via the taskbar icon prior to pulling the plug.

"Bruce Chastain" wrote:

> Initially, it just seemed like totally random and spontaneous reboots. But
> after I reconfigured XP to not autorestart on crashes, now I'm getting
> BSODs.
>
> IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
> Beginning dump of physical memory
> Physical memory dump complete.
>
> This seems to happen at 2 times.
> 1) Completely random, with no obvious ties to any activity.
> 2) When a USB device is disconnected. Windows acknowledges the removal with
> a bong, but then BSOD crashes seconds later.
>
> Both are extremely intermittent and it may be a week or more in between
> crashes. I can sit there and insert and remove USB devices (a Creative USB
> MP3 Player) until I'm blue in the face and never see a crash.
>
> This is a home built PC with an ASUS motherboard running XP Home. The
> system has been reliable for many years but just started this in the last
> several months.
>
> I'm current on all service packs, updates, and whatever else I've been able
> to find.
>
> Thanks for any ideas you might have on how to trouble shoot this.
>
> Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On the Stop error: STOP 0X0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This can be any of hardware device error, software error, or general hardware error.

Also, if you have any 3rd-party CD software, CDR - CDRW writing software, make sure it is XP compatible. Make sure it has the latest patches & updates.

See tips on driver verifier below.

See Aumha.org's knowledge base on stop errors
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Look at 2nd link on left-frame for 0A

See also Kelly's site , in the "I" section --- under IRQL
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_i.htm

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Bruce Chastain wrote:
> Initially, it just seemed like totally random and spontaneous
> reboots. But after I reconfigured XP to not autorestart on crashes,
> now I'm getting BSODs.
>
> IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
> Beginning dump of physical memory
> Physical memory dump complete.
>
> This seems to happen at 2 times.
> 1) Completely random, with no obvious ties to any activity.
> 2) When a USB device is disconnected. Windows acknowledges the
> removal with a bong, but then BSOD crashes seconds later.
>
> Both are extremely intermittent and it may be a week or more in
> between crashes. I can sit there and insert and remove USB devices
> (a Creative USB MP3 Player) until I'm blue in the face and never see
> a crash.
> This is a home built PC with an ASUS motherboard running XP Home. The
> system has been reliable for many years but just started this in the
> last several months.
>
> I'm current on all service packs, updates, and whatever else I've
> been able to find.
>
> Thanks for any ideas you might have on how to trouble shoot this.
>
> Bruce.

"A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location
without authorization. This Stop error is typically caused by faulty or
incompatible hardware or software. The name of the offending device driver
often appears in the Stop message and can provide an important clue to
solving the problem. If the error message points to a specific device or
category of devices, try removing or replacing devices in that category. If
this Stop message appears during Setup, suspect an incompatible driver,
system service, virus scanner, or backup program. "

I suspect you have a device driver causing this problem. The first thing I
would do is check for any updated drivers for your video card, sound card,
usb device, etc.

Have you installed any new hardware recently ?

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
> This can be any of hardware device error, software error, or general
> hardware
> error.

Yep, that's the problem I have. It's so highly intermittiant, sometmies
going weeks between failures, that it's almost impossible to pinpoint the
cause.

> Also, if you have any 3rd-party CD software, CDR - CDRW
> writing software, make sure it is XP compatible. Make sure
> it has the latest patches & updates.

No CD writing software installed or being used at the time of the BSOD.

Thanks for the links but I didn't find anything helpful there. The general
consensus seems to be that it's a driver bug, but nothing in the BSOD helps
me identify which driver.

Bruce.

"jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are you closing the application you are using prior to disconnecting the
> device? Try disconnecting via the taskbar icon prior to pulling the plug.

I hadn't thought of that. That might help with the USB removal associated
crashes. I'll try that!

Thanks,
Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are you closing the application you are using prior to disconnecting the
> device? Try disconnecting via the taskbar icon prior to pulling the plug.

Well, that was interesting.

I plugged in the MP3 Player and the chose the Safely Remove Hardware icon.
Just as soon as I slected the device, I got the bong and BSOD, without
having yet physically removed the MP3 Player. I had not yet disconnected it
and got the BSOD anytway.

Something about logically dismounting the device causes the crash.

Bruce.

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I suspect you have a device driver causing this problem. The first thing I
> would do is check for any updated drivers for your video card, sound card,
> usb device, etc.

Thanks.

> Have you installed any new hardware recently ?

Only a Creative MP3 Player and that was quite a while ago.

Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

For your consideration.

A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MSFT:

<begin quote>
To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOL­­ATION".

<snipped>

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft

</end quote>

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Bruce Chastain wrote:

> Yep, that's the problem I have. It's so highly intermittiant,
> sometmies going weeks between failures, that it's almost impossible
> to pinpoint the cause.
>
>> Also, if you have any 3rd-party CD software, CDR - CDRW
>> writing software, make sure it is XP compatible. Make sure
>> it has the latest patches & updates.
>
> No CD writing software installed or being used at the time of the
> BSOD.
>
> Thanks for the links but I didn't find anything helpful there. The
> general consensus seems to be that it's a driver bug, but nothing in
> the BSOD helps me identify which driver.
>
> Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MSFT:

No help I'm afraid. Enabling the Verifier for all drivers caused my system
to hard lock after booting, immediately after the desktop was displayed.

So I tried again, this time enabling the Verifier for only non-microsoft
drivers.

It still BSODed and the crash screen looked identical to what I've already
reported. No change at all.

Bruce.

"Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MSFT:
>
> No help I'm afraid. Enabling the Verifier for all drivers caused my
> system to hard lock after booting, immediately after the desktop was
> displayed.
>
> So I tried again, this time enabling the Verifier for only non-microsoft
> drivers.
>
> It still BSODed and the crash screen looked identical to what I've already
> reported. No change at all.

Then it may not be a driver. Test your RAM. www.memtest.org

Kerry

> Then it may not be a driver. Test your RAM. www.memtest.org

Thanks. No problem found. And the system has parity ram in it so any
problems there would show up immediately.

Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Bruce,

Are you accessing the Internet via an USB device? if so that is a frequent
source of Stop errors. You could try reinstalling the driver.

If that is no help use Control Panel \System\Advanced\Error Reporting to set
your system to create a memory dump when you get a stop and then analyse the
log (*.dmp) after you have one.

--
Uncle John

"Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
> Are you accessing the Internet via an USB device? if so that is a frequent
> source of Stop errors. You could try reinstalling the driver.

Not the internet, no. All I have is a USB CompactFlash card reader and a
USB Creative MP3 Player. The BSOD happens most often whenever either of
those are unplugged.

> If that is no help use Control Panel \System\Advanced\Error Reporting to
> set your system to create a memory dump when you get a stop and then
> analyse the log (*.dmp) after you have one.

Ok, but how do I analyze the log file when I get one?

Thanks,
Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It does look like a USB driver problem. Have you installed the latest
motherboard drivers? Do you have USB 2.0 enabled in the systems Bios? Do you
have any conflicts listed in system/hardware properties?

> It does look like a USB driver problem. Have you installed the latest
> motherboard drivers?

Yes.

> Do you have USB 2.0 enabled in the systems Bios?

This is an ASUS CUBX motherboard which only supports USB 1.1.

> Do you
> have any conflicts listed in system/hardware properties?

No. The device manager looks very clean. No errors indicated.

This is a real mystery, and it's gotten rather solid now. Every time I
disconnect the USB device, it BSODs.

And first selecting "Safely Remove Hardware" from the taskbar tray also
causes the same BSOD without physically removing the USB device.

Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I found a couple of things that may, or may not solve this. One possibility
is that your USB device is set to act as a hard drive, the other relates to
Norton Ghost. Here, take a look,

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=48&threadID=179180&start=0&tag=search

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>I found a couple of things that may, or may not solve this. One
>possibility is that your USB device is set to act as a hard drive, the
>other relates to Norton Ghost. Here, take a look,

Thanks much for the link. The poster was clearly experiencing the exact
same problem I am.

Unfortunately he never did resolve it, or never posted what the resolution
was.

At least it's not just me and my system.

The USB hard drive might be a clue. In my case, I have 2 USB devices and
both install as hard drives. One is a CompactFlash reader and the other is
a Creative MP3 player. Both can be browsed using the Explorer as if they
were hard drives. Both cause the BSOD when disconnected.

Bruce.

> IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
> Beginning dump of physical memory
> Physical memory dump complete.

Problem: System BSODs as above when a Creative USB MP3 player or USB
CompactFlash card reader is disconnected.

Update: After not making any progress any other way, I just went out and
bought a HP USB 2.0 PCI card, to replace the USB 1.1 ports on my
motherboard, and hopefully whatever hardware or driver issues that were
causing the BSOD.

Unfortunately, that only made it worse. Now it BSODs whenever the MP3
player is connected, not just when it's disconnected. And the BSOD happens
even in Safe Mode! Just as soon as the player is recognized, blam, BSOD.

Note that I have multiple other USB devices, none of which are causing a
problem. But the CompactFlash card reader and MP3 player are the only ones
that mount as disk drives, and those both cause the BSOD.

My conclusion is this. It's a Windows bug. By purchasing a USB PCI card, I
believe I'm eliminated all hardware and driver issues (the card came with
its own drivers). And by duplicating the BSOD in Safe Mode, I believe I've
eliminated all optional software issues. All that's left is a Windows bug.
Why more people aren't experiencing this is a mystery.

Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:%>
that mount as disk drives, and those both cause the BSOD.

> My conclusion is this. It's a Windows bug. By purchasing a USB PCI card,
> I believe I'm eliminated all hardware and driver issues (the card came
> with its own drivers). And by duplicating the BSOD in Safe Mode, I
> believe I've eliminated all optional software issues. All that's left is
> a Windows bug. Why more people aren't experiencing this is a mystery.

Because it's not a Windows bug? I have seen this problem a few times.
Everytime so far it has been a bad driver. Unfortuantely the only way I've
been able to determine which driver was by doing a clean install then
installing thngs one at a time until it breaks. SP2 changed USB quite a bit
for security reasons. Many pre SP2 drivers now exhibit this behaviour.

Kerry

> SP2 changed USB quite a bit for security reasons. Many pre SP2 drivers now
> exhibit this behavior.

I think you're missing an important point. For my motherboard USB 1.1
ports, the drivers I'm using are part of Windows XP and/or SP2, not
something I separately installed. Those drivers are the ones that are
crashing on disconnect. I don't own separate pre-SP2 drivers (or any other
version) for those motherboard USB ports. Whatever came with XP and SP2 is
exactly what I'm using. If there is a problem with the drivers as you
suggest, then the problem is with the drivers that came with XP and/or SP2.

And my just bought HP USB 2.0 card is also supported by XP SP2 without
having to install drivers (it worked even before I tried installing the
driver disk). Those crashed, even worse as I described.

And the new HP USB 2.0 card also came with a driver disk, and those crash
too.

Bruce.

>> SP2 changed USB quite a bit for security reasons. Many pre SP2 drivers
>> now exhibit this behavior.
>
> I think you're missing an important point. For my motherboard USB 1.1
> ports, the drivers I'm using are part of Windows XP and/or SP2, not
> something I separately installed. Those drivers are the ones that are
> crashing on disconnect. I don't own separate pre-SP2 drivers (or any
> other version) for those motherboard USB ports. Whatever came with XP and
> SP2 is exactly what I'm using. If there is a problem with the drivers as
> you suggest, then the problem is with the drivers that came with XP and/or
> SP2.
>
> And my just bought HP USB 2.0 card is also supported by XP SP2 without
> having to install drivers (it worked even before I tried installing the
> driver disk). Those crashed, even worse as I described.
>
> And the new HP USB 2.0 card also came with a driver disk, and those crash
> too.

The drivers for the devices not the card. i.e. the Creative drivers and any
other drivers for any USB devices. It may be a device that is not having any
problems itself but is causing problems for other devices. Sometimes it is
the firmware in the device. I have seen some cheap webcams that were not
compatible with SP2 because of a firmware problem. They worked just fine pre
SP2. You are focusing on the ports and ignoring what is hooked up to the
ports. At the very least unplug all USB devices then boot up the computer.
Plug in one device and run the computer for a while and see what happens. If
everything is OK try another device. Another USB problem is a device that
draws too much power. This can cause intermittant problems. This last one is
very hard to troubleshoot. Sometimes if you move any devices that use power
from the USB bus to an externally powerd USB hub the problems magically go
away. The last thing is a stab in the dark. Some users with VIA chipsets
have intermittant USB problems. If this is the problem I haven't heard of a
fix yet. In your case this is unlikely because the HP card has the same
problem.

Kerry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

First I would unplug all USB devices then I would disable the
motherboard based USB from BIOS. Remove the new PCI
USB2 card. Start Windows, Go to Device Manager, Click
View, Check "Show Hidden Devices". Expand the Universal
Serial Bus Controllers category - Uninstall Everything in it.
Then go to each category and remove the USB hosted devices
such as Imaging devices, Printers...and HID devices.Finally,
uninstall any USB support drivers/apps from Add/Remove
programs applet. Then install the latest chipset driver package
for your motherboard. Install the new USB2.0 card in either
PCI slot #2 or 5. Then start installing your devices . I would
also make sure the Computer driver (HAL) is an ACPI type.
I've seen issues with USB on PCs that are using a "Standard
PC" HAL.

> The drivers for the devices not the card. i.e. the Creative drivers and
> any other drivers for any USB devices.

Since these devices appear as disk drives, no additional software beyond XP
is required for them to work. For example, my CompactFlash card came with
no software at all, but does produce the BSOD on disconnection (logically or
physically).

My Creative MP3 player did come with Media Player software, but the software
isn't necessary for the proper functioning of the MP3 device. It mounts as
a disk drive so files can be copied back and forth without installing any
Creative software at all.

And if there was a problem with the Creative software, I'd be screwed
because I've already downloaded the latest available version.

> Plug in one device and run the computer for a while and see what happens.

All non-disk drive USB devices are functioning perfectly. That includes a
scanner and a printer.

Both disk drive devices (CompactFlash card reader, MP3 Playerr) function
perfectly (on the motherboard USB ports) so long as they remain hooked up.
It's only when disconnected, phsically or logically, that the BSOD happens.

The above refers to my motherboard USB 1.1 ports. The new USB 2.0 card
causes a BSOD the instant one of those 2 disk drive devices are connected.

> Sometimes if you move any devices that use power from the USB bus to an
> externally powerd USB hub the problems magically go away.

I had thought of that as well a few weeks ago and bought a 7 port powered
USB hub. It made no difference. Disconnection of those 2 devices still
causes a BSOD regardless of whether they are hooked directly to the
motherboard ports or to the powered hub.

> Some users with VIA chipsets have intermittant USB problems.

I can tell you that the motherboard USB ports are using an Intel chipset.
But the new HP USB 2.0 card I just bought yesterday (which BSOD instantly on
connection of the 2 devices) uses the VIA chipset. I can tell that from the
Device Manager.

Bruce.

"Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote in message
>> The drivers for the devices not the card. i.e. the Creative drivers and
>> any other drivers for any USB devices.
>
> Since these devices appear as disk drives, no additional software beyond
> XP is required for them to work. For example, my CompactFlash card came
> with no software at all, but does produce the BSOD on disconnection
> (logically or physically).
>
> My Creative MP3 player did come with Media Player software, but the
> software isn't necessary for the proper functioning of the MP3 device. It
> mounts as a disk drive so files can be copied back and forth without
> installing any Creative software at all.
>
> And if there was a problem with the Creative software, I'd be screwed
> because I've already downloaded the latest available version.
>
>> Plug in one device and run the computer for a while and see what happens.
>
> All non-disk drive USB devices are functioning perfectly. That includes a
> scanner and a printer.

The scanner or the printer driver or the device itself could be causing the
problem. That device may be working but causing problems with other devices.
SP2 has caused some problems with some USB devices. It is not a bug but a
change in the way USB works in XP. Some older devices and drivers are broken
because of this. There are a few possibilities I can think of.

1) One of your devices is in the above category. Makes ure all devices have
the latest driver. Try running without any USB devices connected except one
of the storage devices and see what happens.

2) Some other hardware is causing the problem, bad motherboard, bad power
supply, etc..

3) Some software installed on your computer is causing a problem. I would
suspect anything that monitors disk activity as unplugging a storage device
triggers it. Could be antivirus, something like disk doctor, lots of
possibilities, could even be some form of malware.

4) At some time some program or driver install has changed some file in
Windows causing the problem. Try running sfc /scannow.

In the end it all comes down to how much time do you want to spend trying to
fix this. When all else fails the tried and true clean reinstall and slowly
rebuild the system testing as you go is the easiest route.

Kerry