IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Initially, it just seemed like totally random and spontaneous reboots. But
after I reconfigured XP to not autorestart on crashes, now I'm getting
BSODs.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

This seems to happen at 2 times.
1) Completely random, with no obvious ties to any activity.
2) When a USB device is disconnected. Windows acknowledges the removal with
a bong, but then BSOD crashes seconds later.

Both are extremely intermittent and it may be a week or more in between
crashes. I can sit there and insert and remove USB devices (a Creative USB
MP3 Player) until I'm blue in the face and never see a crash.

This is a home built PC with an ASUS motherboard running XP Home. The
system has been reliable for many years but just started this in the last
several months.

I'm current on all service packs, updates, and whatever else I've been able
to find.

Thanks for any ideas you might have on how to trouble shoot this.

Bruce.
36 answers Last reply
More about irql_not_less_than_or_equal
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Are you closing the application you are using prior to disconnecting the
    device? Try disconnecting via the taskbar icon prior to pulling the plug.

    "Bruce Chastain" wrote:

    > Initially, it just seemed like totally random and spontaneous reboots. But
    > after I reconfigured XP to not autorestart on crashes, now I'm getting
    > BSODs.
    >
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
    >
    > *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
    > Beginning dump of physical memory
    > Physical memory dump complete.
    >
    > This seems to happen at 2 times.
    > 1) Completely random, with no obvious ties to any activity.
    > 2) When a USB device is disconnected. Windows acknowledges the removal with
    > a bong, but then BSOD crashes seconds later.
    >
    > Both are extremely intermittent and it may be a week or more in between
    > crashes. I can sit there and insert and remove USB devices (a Creative USB
    > MP3 Player) until I'm blue in the face and never see a crash.
    >
    > This is a home built PC with an ASUS motherboard running XP Home. The
    > system has been reliable for many years but just started this in the last
    > several months.
    >
    > I'm current on all service packs, updates, and whatever else I've been able
    > to find.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas you might have on how to trouble shoot this.
    >
    > Bruce.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On the Stop error: STOP 0X0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    This can be any of hardware device error, software error, or general hardware error.

    Also, if you have any 3rd-party CD software, CDR - CDRW writing software, make sure it is XP compatible. Make sure it has the latest patches & updates.

    See tips on driver verifier below.

    See Aumha.org's knowledge base on stop errors
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    Look at 2nd link on left-frame for 0A

    See also Kelly's site , in the "I" section --- under IRQL
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_i.htm

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Bruce Chastain wrote:
    > Initially, it just seemed like totally random and spontaneous
    > reboots. But after I reconfigured XP to not autorestart on crashes,
    > now I'm getting BSODs.
    >
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
    >
    > *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
    > Beginning dump of physical memory
    > Physical memory dump complete.
    >
    > This seems to happen at 2 times.
    > 1) Completely random, with no obvious ties to any activity.
    > 2) When a USB device is disconnected. Windows acknowledges the
    > removal with a bong, but then BSOD crashes seconds later.
    >
    > Both are extremely intermittent and it may be a week or more in
    > between crashes. I can sit there and insert and remove USB devices
    > (a Creative USB MP3 Player) until I'm blue in the face and never see
    > a crash.
    >
    > This is a home built PC with an ASUS motherboard running XP Home. The
    > system has been reliable for many years but just started this in the
    > last several months.
    >
    > I'm current on all service packs, updates, and whatever else I've
    > been able to find.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas you might have on how to trouble shoot this.
    >
    > Bruce.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Bruce Chastain wrote:
    > Initially, it just seemed like totally random and spontaneous
    > reboots. But after I reconfigured XP to not autorestart on crashes,
    > now I'm getting BSODs.
    >
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
    >
    > *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
    > Beginning dump of physical memory
    > Physical memory dump complete.
    >
    > This seems to happen at 2 times.
    > 1) Completely random, with no obvious ties to any activity.
    > 2) When a USB device is disconnected. Windows acknowledges the
    > removal with a bong, but then BSOD crashes seconds later.
    >
    > Both are extremely intermittent and it may be a week or more in
    > between crashes. I can sit there and insert and remove USB devices
    > (a Creative USB MP3 Player) until I'm blue in the face and never see
    > a crash.
    > This is a home built PC with an ASUS motherboard running XP Home. The
    > system has been reliable for many years but just started this in the
    > last several months.
    >
    > I'm current on all service packs, updates, and whatever else I've
    > been able to find.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas you might have on how to trouble shoot this.
    >
    > Bruce.

    "A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location
    without authorization. This Stop error is typically caused by faulty or
    incompatible hardware or software. The name of the offending device driver
    often appears in the Stop message and can provide an important clue to
    solving the problem. If the error message points to a specific device or
    category of devices, try removing or replacing devices in that category. If
    this Stop message appears during Setup, suspect an incompatible driver,
    system service, virus scanner, or backup program. "

    I suspect you have a device driver causing this problem. The first thing I
    would do is check for any updated drivers for your video card, sound card,
    usb device, etc.

    Have you installed any new hardware recently ?

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > This can be any of hardware device error, software error, or general
    > hardware
    > error.

    Yep, that's the problem I have. It's so highly intermittiant, sometmies
    going weeks between failures, that it's almost impossible to pinpoint the
    cause.

    > Also, if you have any 3rd-party CD software, CDR - CDRW
    > writing software, make sure it is XP compatible. Make sure
    > it has the latest patches & updates.

    No CD writing software installed or being used at the time of the BSOD.

    Thanks for the links but I didn't find anything helpful there. The general
    consensus seems to be that it's a driver bug, but nothing in the BSOD helps
    me identify which driver.

    Bruce.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Are you closing the application you are using prior to disconnecting the
    > device? Try disconnecting via the taskbar icon prior to pulling the plug.

    I hadn't thought of that. That might help with the USB removal associated
    crashes. I'll try that!

    Thanks,
    Bruce.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Are you closing the application you are using prior to disconnecting the
    > device? Try disconnecting via the taskbar icon prior to pulling the plug.

    Well, that was interesting.

    I plugged in the MP3 Player and the chose the Safely Remove Hardware icon.
    Just as soon as I slected the device, I got the bong and BSOD, without
    having yet physically removed the MP3 Player. I had not yet disconnected it
    and got the BSOD anytway.

    Something about logically dismounting the device causes the crash.

    Bruce.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I suspect you have a device driver causing this problem. The first thing I
    > would do is check for any updated drivers for your video card, sound card,
    > usb device, etc.

    Thanks.

    > Have you installed any new hardware recently ?

    Only a Creative MP3 Player and that was quite a while ago.

    Bruce.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    For your consideration.

    A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MSFT:

    <begin quote>
    To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver verifier.
    Steps:
    1) Windows Key + R
    2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
    3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
    4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
    5) Reboot

    There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
    occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
    the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
    'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
    driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

    This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like
    "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOL­­ATION".

    <snipped>

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft

    </end quote>

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Bruce Chastain wrote:

    > Yep, that's the problem I have. It's so highly intermittiant,
    > sometmies going weeks between failures, that it's almost impossible
    > to pinpoint the cause.
    >
    >> Also, if you have any 3rd-party CD software, CDR - CDRW
    >> writing software, make sure it is XP compatible. Make sure
    >> it has the latest patches & updates.
    >
    > No CD writing software installed or being used at the time of the
    > BSOD.
    >
    > Thanks for the links but I didn't find anything helpful there. The
    > general consensus seems to be that it's a driver bug, but nothing in
    > the BSOD helps me identify which driver.
    >
    > Bruce.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MSFT:

    No help I'm afraid. Enabling the Verifier for all drivers caused my system
    to hard lock after booting, immediately after the desktop was displayed.

    So I tried again, this time enabling the Verifier for only non-microsoft
    drivers.

    It still BSODed and the crash screen looked identical to what I've already
    reported. No change at all.

    Bruce.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MSFT:
    >
    > No help I'm afraid. Enabling the Verifier for all drivers caused my
    > system to hard lock after booting, immediately after the desktop was
    > displayed.
    >
    > So I tried again, this time enabling the Verifier for only non-microsoft
    > drivers.
    >
    > It still BSODed and the crash screen looked identical to what I've already
    > reported. No change at all.

    Then it may not be a driver. Test your RAM. www.memtest.org

    Kerry
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Then it may not be a driver. Test your RAM. www.memtest.org

    Thanks. No problem found. And the system has parity ram in it so any
    problems there would show up immediately.

    Bruce.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Bruce,

    Are you accessing the Internet via an USB device? if so that is a frequent
    source of Stop errors. You could try reinstalling the driver.

    If that is no help use Control Panel \System\Advanced\Error Reporting to set
    your system to create a memory dump when you get a stop and then analyse the
    log (*.dmp) after you have one.

    --
    Uncle John
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
    > Are you accessing the Internet via an USB device? if so that is a frequent
    > source of Stop errors. You could try reinstalling the driver.

    Not the internet, no. All I have is a USB CompactFlash card reader and a
    USB Creative MP3 Player. The BSOD happens most often whenever either of
    those are unplugged.

    > If that is no help use Control Panel \System\Advanced\Error Reporting to
    > set your system to create a memory dump when you get a stop and then
    > analyse the log (*.dmp) after you have one.

    Ok, but how do I analyze the log file when I get one?

    Thanks,
    Bruce.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    It does look like a USB driver problem. Have you installed the latest
    motherboard drivers? Do you have USB 2.0 enabled in the systems Bios? Do you
    have any conflicts listed in system/hardware properties?

    "Bruce Chastain" wrote:

    > "Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Are you accessing the Internet via an USB device? if so that is a frequent
    > > source of Stop errors. You could try reinstalling the driver.
    >
    > Not the internet, no. All I have is a USB CompactFlash card reader and a
    > USB Creative MP3 Player. The BSOD happens most often whenever either of
    > those are unplugged.
    >
    > > If that is no help use Control Panel \System\Advanced\Error Reporting to
    > > set your system to create a memory dump when you get a stop and then
    > > analyse the log (*.dmp) after you have one.
    >
    > Ok, but how do I analyze the log file when I get one?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bruce.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > It does look like a USB driver problem. Have you installed the latest
    > motherboard drivers?

    Yes.

    > Do you have USB 2.0 enabled in the systems Bios?

    This is an ASUS CUBX motherboard which only supports USB 1.1.

    > Do you
    > have any conflicts listed in system/hardware properties?

    No. The device manager looks very clean. No errors indicated.

    This is a real mystery, and it's gotten rather solid now. Every time I
    disconnect the USB device, it BSODs.

    And first selecting "Safely Remove Hardware" from the taskbar tray also
    causes the same BSOD without physically removing the USB device.

    Bruce.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I found a couple of things that may, or may not solve this. One possibility
    is that your USB device is set to act as a hard drive, the other relates to
    Norton Ghost. Here, take a look,

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=48&threadID=179180&start=0&tag=search

    > "jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> It does look like a USB driver problem. Have you installed the latest
    >> motherboard drivers?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> Do you have USB 2.0 enabled in the systems Bios?
    >
    > This is an ASUS CUBX motherboard which only supports USB 1.1.
    >
    >> Do you
    >> have any conflicts listed in system/hardware properties?
    >
    > No. The device manager looks very clean. No errors indicated.
    >
    > This is a real mystery, and it's gotten rather solid now. Every time I
    > disconnect the USB device, it BSODs.
    >
    > And first selecting "Safely Remove Hardware" from the taskbar tray also
    > causes the same BSOD without physically removing the USB device.
    >
    > Bruce.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I found a couple of things that may, or may not solve this. One
    >possibility is that your USB device is set to act as a hard drive, the
    >other relates to Norton Ghost. Here, take a look,

    Thanks much for the link. The poster was clearly experiencing the exact
    same problem I am.

    Unfortunately he never did resolve it, or never posted what the resolution
    was.

    At least it's not just me and my system.

    The USB hard drive might be a clue. In my case, I have 2 USB devices and
    both install as hard drives. One is a CompactFlash reader and the other is
    a Creative MP3 player. Both can be browsed using the Explorer as if they
    were hard drives. Both cause the BSOD when disconnected.

    Bruce.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
    >
    > *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
    > Beginning dump of physical memory
    > Physical memory dump complete.

    Problem: System BSODs as above when a Creative USB MP3 player or USB
    CompactFlash card reader is disconnected.

    Update: After not making any progress any other way, I just went out and
    bought a HP USB 2.0 PCI card, to replace the USB 1.1 ports on my
    motherboard, and hopefully whatever hardware or driver issues that were
    causing the BSOD.

    Unfortunately, that only made it worse. Now it BSODs whenever the MP3
    player is connected, not just when it's disconnected. And the BSOD happens
    even in Safe Mode! Just as soon as the player is recognized, blam, BSOD.

    Note that I have multiple other USB devices, none of which are causing a
    problem. But the CompactFlash card reader and MP3 player are the only ones
    that mount as disk drives, and those both cause the BSOD.

    My conclusion is this. It's a Windows bug. By purchasing a USB PCI card, I
    believe I'm eliminated all hardware and driver issues (the card came with
    its own drivers). And by duplicating the BSOD in Safe Mode, I believe I've
    eliminated all optional software issues. All that's left is a Windows bug.
    Why more people aren't experiencing this is a mystery.

    Bruce.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:%>
    that mount as disk drives, and those both cause the BSOD.

    > My conclusion is this. It's a Windows bug. By purchasing a USB PCI card,
    > I believe I'm eliminated all hardware and driver issues (the card came
    > with its own drivers). And by duplicating the BSOD in Safe Mode, I
    > believe I've eliminated all optional software issues. All that's left is
    > a Windows bug. Why more people aren't experiencing this is a mystery.

    Because it's not a Windows bug? I have seen this problem a few times.
    Everytime so far it has been a bad driver. Unfortuantely the only way I've
    been able to determine which driver was by doing a clean install then
    installing thngs one at a time until it breaks. SP2 changed USB quite a bit
    for security reasons. Many pre SP2 drivers now exhibit this behaviour.

    Kerry
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > SP2 changed USB quite a bit for security reasons. Many pre SP2 drivers now
    > exhibit this behavior.

    I think you're missing an important point. For my motherboard USB 1.1
    ports, the drivers I'm using are part of Windows XP and/or SP2, not
    something I separately installed. Those drivers are the ones that are
    crashing on disconnect. I don't own separate pre-SP2 drivers (or any other
    version) for those motherboard USB ports. Whatever came with XP and SP2 is
    exactly what I'm using. If there is a problem with the drivers as you
    suggest, then the problem is with the drivers that came with XP and/or SP2.

    And my just bought HP USB 2.0 card is also supported by XP SP2 without
    having to install drivers (it worked even before I tried installing the
    driver disk). Those crashed, even worse as I described.

    And the new HP USB 2.0 card also came with a driver disk, and those crash
    too.

    Bruce.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    >> SP2 changed USB quite a bit for security reasons. Many pre SP2 drivers
    >> now exhibit this behavior.
    >
    > I think you're missing an important point. For my motherboard USB 1.1
    > ports, the drivers I'm using are part of Windows XP and/or SP2, not
    > something I separately installed. Those drivers are the ones that are
    > crashing on disconnect. I don't own separate pre-SP2 drivers (or any
    > other version) for those motherboard USB ports. Whatever came with XP and
    > SP2 is exactly what I'm using. If there is a problem with the drivers as
    > you suggest, then the problem is with the drivers that came with XP and/or
    > SP2.
    >
    > And my just bought HP USB 2.0 card is also supported by XP SP2 without
    > having to install drivers (it worked even before I tried installing the
    > driver disk). Those crashed, even worse as I described.
    >
    > And the new HP USB 2.0 card also came with a driver disk, and those crash
    > too.

    The drivers for the devices not the card. i.e. the Creative drivers and any
    other drivers for any USB devices. It may be a device that is not having any
    problems itself but is causing problems for other devices. Sometimes it is
    the firmware in the device. I have seen some cheap webcams that were not
    compatible with SP2 because of a firmware problem. They worked just fine pre
    SP2. You are focusing on the ports and ignoring what is hooked up to the
    ports. At the very least unplug all USB devices then boot up the computer.
    Plug in one device and run the computer for a while and see what happens. If
    everything is OK try another device. Another USB problem is a device that
    draws too much power. This can cause intermittant problems. This last one is
    very hard to troubleshoot. Sometimes if you move any devices that use power
    from the USB bus to an externally powerd USB hub the problems magically go
    away. The last thing is a stab in the dark. Some users with VIA chipsets
    have intermittant USB problems. If this is the problem I haven't heard of a
    fix yet. In your case this is unlikely because the HP card has the same
    problem.

    Kerry
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    First I would unplug all USB devices then I would disable the
    motherboard based USB from BIOS. Remove the new PCI
    USB2 card. Start Windows, Go to Device Manager, Click
    View, Check "Show Hidden Devices". Expand the Universal
    Serial Bus Controllers category - Uninstall Everything in it.
    Then go to each category and remove the USB hosted devices
    such as Imaging devices, Printers...and HID devices.Finally,
    uninstall any USB support drivers/apps from Add/Remove
    programs applet. Then install the latest chipset driver package
    for your motherboard. Install the new USB2.0 card in either
    PCI slot #2 or 5. Then start installing your devices . I would
    also make sure the Computer driver (HAL) is an ACPI type.
    I've seen issues with USB on PCs that are using a "Standard
    PC" HAL.

    > "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > news:%> that mount as disk drives, and those both cause the BSOD.
    >>
    >> My conclusion is this. It's a Windows bug. By purchasing a USB PCI
    >> card, I believe I'm eliminated all hardware and driver issues (the card
    >> came with its own drivers). And by duplicating the BSOD in Safe Mode, I
    >> believe I've eliminated all optional software issues. All that's left is
    >> a Windows bug. Why more people aren't experiencing this is a mystery.
    >>

    > Because it's not a Windows bug? I have seen this problem a few times.
    > Everytime so far it has been a bad driver. Unfortuantely the only way I've
    > been able to determine which driver was by doing a clean install then
    > installing thngs one at a time until it breaks. SP2 changed USB quite a
    > bit for security reasons. Many pre SP2 drivers now exhibit this behaviour.
    >
    > Kerry

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > The drivers for the devices not the card. i.e. the Creative drivers and
    > any other drivers for any USB devices.

    Since these devices appear as disk drives, no additional software beyond XP
    is required for them to work. For example, my CompactFlash card came with
    no software at all, but does produce the BSOD on disconnection (logically or
    physically).

    My Creative MP3 player did come with Media Player software, but the software
    isn't necessary for the proper functioning of the MP3 device. It mounts as
    a disk drive so files can be copied back and forth without installing any
    Creative software at all.

    And if there was a problem with the Creative software, I'd be screwed
    because I've already downloaded the latest available version.

    > Plug in one device and run the computer for a while and see what happens.

    All non-disk drive USB devices are functioning perfectly. That includes a
    scanner and a printer.

    Both disk drive devices (CompactFlash card reader, MP3 Playerr) function
    perfectly (on the motherboard USB ports) so long as they remain hooked up.
    It's only when disconnected, phsically or logically, that the BSOD happens.

    The above refers to my motherboard USB 1.1 ports. The new USB 2.0 card
    causes a BSOD the instant one of those 2 disk drive devices are connected.

    > Sometimes if you move any devices that use power from the USB bus to an
    > externally powerd USB hub the problems magically go away.

    I had thought of that as well a few weeks ago and bought a 7 port powered
    USB hub. It made no difference. Disconnection of those 2 devices still
    causes a BSOD regardless of whether they are hooked directly to the
    motherboard ports or to the powered hub.

    > Some users with VIA chipsets have intermittant USB problems.

    I can tell you that the motherboard USB ports are using an Intel chipset.
    But the new HP USB 2.0 card I just bought yesterday (which BSOD instantly on
    connection of the 2 devices) uses the VIA chipset. I can tell that from the
    Device Manager.

    Bruce.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote in message
    >> The drivers for the devices not the card. i.e. the Creative drivers and
    >> any other drivers for any USB devices.
    >
    > Since these devices appear as disk drives, no additional software beyond
    > XP is required for them to work. For example, my CompactFlash card came
    > with no software at all, but does produce the BSOD on disconnection
    > (logically or physically).
    >
    > My Creative MP3 player did come with Media Player software, but the
    > software isn't necessary for the proper functioning of the MP3 device. It
    > mounts as a disk drive so files can be copied back and forth without
    > installing any Creative software at all.
    >
    > And if there was a problem with the Creative software, I'd be screwed
    > because I've already downloaded the latest available version.
    >
    >> Plug in one device and run the computer for a while and see what happens.
    >
    > All non-disk drive USB devices are functioning perfectly. That includes a
    > scanner and a printer.

    The scanner or the printer driver or the device itself could be causing the
    problem. That device may be working but causing problems with other devices.
    SP2 has caused some problems with some USB devices. It is not a bug but a
    change in the way USB works in XP. Some older devices and drivers are broken
    because of this. There are a few possibilities I can think of.

    1) One of your devices is in the above category. Makes ure all devices have
    the latest driver. Try running without any USB devices connected except one
    of the storage devices and see what happens.

    2) Some other hardware is causing the problem, bad motherboard, bad power
    supply, etc..

    3) Some software installed on your computer is causing a problem. I would
    suspect anything that monitors disk activity as unplugging a storage device
    triggers it. Could be antivirus, something like disk doctor, lots of
    possibilities, could even be some form of malware.

    4) At some time some program or driver install has changed some file in
    Windows causing the problem. Try running sfc /scannow.

    In the end it all comes down to how much time do you want to spend trying to
    fix this. When all else fails the tried and true clean reinstall and slowly
    rebuild the system testing as you go is the easiest route.

    Kerry
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > 1) One of your devices is in the above category. Makes ure all devices
    > have the latest driver. Try running without any USB devices connected
    > except one of the storage devices and see what happens.

    No change. Even if the only device, it still BSODs on disconnect.

    > 2) Some other hardware is causing the problem, bad motherboard, bad power
    > supply, etc..

    Always possible, but I think not likely. The system is incredibly stable
    otherwise. So long as I don't disconnect a USB port, the system will run for
    many months without needing a reboot.

    > 3) Some software installed on your computer is causing a problem. I would
    > suspect anything that monitors disk activity as unplugging a storage
    > device triggers it. Could be antivirus, something like disk doctor, lots
    > of possibilities, could even be some form of malware.

    Possible, but I'm not sure what to do with that suggestion. The system does
    have both antispy and antivirus software on it, both of which run clean.
    I've checked both programs so see if there is a setting for scanning new
    storage devices and found nothing.

    > 4) At some time some program or driver install has changed some file in
    > Windows causing the problem. Try running sfc /scannow.

    Performed with no change in symptoms.

    Bruce.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In the end it all comes down to how much time do you want to spend trying to
    fix this. When all else fails the tried and true clean reinstall and slowly
    rebuild the system testing as you go is the only route.

    Kerry
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > In the end it all comes down to how much time do you want to spend trying
    > fix this. When all else fails the tried and true clean reinstall and
    > slowly
    > rebuild the system testing as you go is the only route.

    Thanks much for the help.

    Bruce.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Bruce

    Did you ever solve this issue? I had exactly the same problem. The PC would
    BSOD when I removed a USB memeory stick or card reader.

    I eventually solved it by removing a virus software called Alurias
    SpyElliminator. A couple of days later I also removed Sym Ghost just to be
    sure.

    A while back I even re-installed XP Pro on a new harddrive and the problem
    re-appeared.

    Seems OK now. You might like to check out any recent software you installed
    around the time this issue arose.

    regards

    PeterH

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > "jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> It does look like a USB driver problem. Have you installed the latest
    >> motherboard drivers?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> Do you have USB 2.0 enabled in the systems Bios?
    >
    > This is an ASUS CUBX motherboard which only supports USB 1.1.
    >
    >> Do you
    >> have any conflicts listed in system/hardware properties?
    >
    > No. The device manager looks very clean. No errors indicated.
    >
    > This is a real mystery, and it's gotten rather solid now. Every time I
    > disconnect the USB device, it BSODs.
    >
    > And first selecting "Safely Remove Hardware" from the taskbar tray also
    > causes the same BSOD without physically removing the USB device.
    >
    > Bruce.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "My View" <no spam ple@se.com> wrote in message
    > Did you ever solve this issue? I had exactly the same problem. The PC
    > would
    > BSOD when I removed a USB memeory stick or card reader.

    Nope. It's still an issue with me.

    > I eventually solved it by removing a virus software called Alurias
    > SpyElliminator. A couple of days later I also removed Sym Ghost just to be
    > sure.

    We don't have Alurias so that's not an issue. We do have Trend Micro AV but
    that was installed many months before the BSODs started.

    > A while back I even re-installed XP Pro on a new harddrive and the problem
    > re-appeared.

    Did you reinstall Alurias too? Otherwise I don't see how Alurias could be
    at fault.

    Interesting. That makes it sound as if the problem is in the core Windows
    rather than any add on sofware. And that's what I discovered too. My
    system was BSODing even in Safe Mode which should eliminate any add on
    software.

    > Seems OK now. You might like to check out any recent software you
    > installed
    > around the time this issue arose.

    I've tried that and wasn't able to come up with anything that might be to
    blame.

    Bruce.
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Bruce Chastain wrote:
    > "My View" <no spam ple@se.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did you ever solve this issue? I had exactly the same problem. The PC
    >>would
    >>BSOD when I removed a USB memeory stick or card reader.
    >

    > Nope. It's still an issue with me.
    >

    >>I eventually solved it by removing a virus software called Alurias
    >>SpyElliminator. A couple of days later I also removed Sym Ghost just to be
    >>sure.
    >

    > We don't have Alurias so that's not an issue. We do have Trend Micro AV but
    > that was installed many months before the BSODs started.
    >

    >>A while back I even re-installed XP Pro on a new harddrive and the problem
    >>re-appeared.
    >

    > Did you reinstall Alurias too? Otherwise I don't see how Alurias could be
    > at fault.
    >
    > Interesting. That makes it sound as if the problem is in the core Windows
    > rather than any add on sofware. And that's what I discovered too. My
    > system was BSODing even in Safe Mode which should eliminate any add on
    > software.
    >

    >>Seems OK now. You might like to check out any recent software you
    >>installed
    >>around the time this issue arose.
    >

    > I've tried that and wasn't able to come up with anything that might be to
    > blame.
    >
    > Bruce.

    Hi guys,

    I had the same problem and it got to the stage where it was bsod every
    hour or so and then eventually it wouldn't even boot up. I realised that
    alot of people are having this problem and it seems to do with the
    inability of xp to cope with irq's. Although the system showed that
    there was no conflict there obviously was. I ended but formatting and
    re-installing windows and although it came less often it still occurred.
    Someone (very intelligent guy!) mentioned that in my case i seemed to be
    over loading the system either by too many high-level tasks or by
    hardware. As soon as I uninstalled/unplugged a few devices the problem
    stopped.

    Might be worth experimenting abit with this.

    Hope that helps,

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Zankhna" <public.zp@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I had the same problem and it got to the stage where it was bsod every
    > hour or so and then eventually it wouldn't even boot up.

    I don't think I have the same problem because this system is extremely
    stable. So long as I don't disconnect the USB card reader or MP3 player,
    the PC will run for months without rebooting or errors.

    Bruce.
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Bruce,

    A system can get a BSOD in Safe Mode if there is a driver issue or a hardware issue, or a corruption in critical system files.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Bruce Chastain wrote:
    > "My View" <no spam ple@se.com> wrote in message
    >> Did you ever solve this issue? I had exactly the same problem. The PC
    >> would
    >> BSOD when I removed a USB memeory stick or card reader.
    >
    > Nope. It's still an issue with me.

    <snip>
    > We don't have Alurias so that's not an issue. We do have Trend Micro
    > AV but that was installed many months before the BSODs started.
    >
    >> A while back I even re-installed XP Pro on a new harddrive and the
    >> problem re-appeared.
    >
    > Did you reinstall Alurias too? Otherwise I don't see how Alurias
    > could be at fault.
    >
    > Interesting. That makes it sound as if the problem is in the core
    > Windows rather than any add on sofware. And that's what I discovered
    > too. My system was BSODing even in Safe Mode which should eliminate
    > any add on software.
    >

    > Bruce.
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > A system can get a BSOD in Safe Mode if there is a driver issue or a
    > hardware issue, or a corruption in critical system files.

    The problem is that the BSOD (in or out of Safe Mode) doesn't identify which
    driver or file is involved, so I'm stuck with no where to go next.

    Bruce.
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I did re-install Alurias with the new setup.
    I also have Trend Micro and that, as with yourself, has never been a
    problem.
    XP SP2 does seem to be at the centre of this.

    > "My View" <no spam ple@se.com> wrote in message
    >> Did you ever solve this issue? I had exactly the same problem. The PC
    >> would
    >> BSOD when I removed a USB memeory stick or card reader.
    >
    > Nope. It's still an issue with me.
    >
    >> I eventually solved it by removing a virus software called Alurias
    >> SpyElliminator. A couple of days later I also removed Sym Ghost just to
    >> be
    >> sure.
    >
    > We don't have Alurias so that's not an issue. We do have Trend Micro AV
    > but that was installed many months before the BSODs started.
    >
    >> A while back I even re-installed XP Pro on a new harddrive and the
    >> problem
    >> re-appeared.
    >
    > Did you reinstall Alurias too? Otherwise I don't see how Alurias could be
    > at fault.
    >
    > Interesting. That makes it sound as if the problem is in the core Windows
    > rather than any add on sofware. And that's what I discovered too. My
    > system was BSODing even in Safe Mode which should eliminate any add on
    > software.
    >
    >> Seems OK now. You might like to check out any recent software you
    >> installed
    >> around the time this issue arose.
    >
    > I've tried that and wasn't able to come up with anything that might be to
    > blame.
    >
    > Bruce.

  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Bruce, I haven't found your original post - which version of XP are you
    using?

    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> A system can get a BSOD in Safe Mode if there is a driver issue or a
    >> hardware issue, or a corruption in critical system files.
    >
    > The problem is that the BSOD (in or out of Safe Mode) doesn't identify
    > which driver or file is involved, so I'm stuck with no where to go next.
    >
    > Bruce.

  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Bruce, I haven't found your original post - which version of XP are you
    > using?

    Home.

    Bruce.

Microsoft Windows XP