Dell 8400 No Resource CD - how to do a clean install

I received my Dell 8400 on Dec 2. I have a Restore partition. I also
have the WIndows OS SP2 CD, some of the application CDs. Even through I
selected NO security SW, trailware for McAfee firewall, A/V, etc. were
installed but no McAfee CD. I did not get a Resource CD. I have a
neighbor who received an 8400 about a month ago, before Dell was
offering the dual format DVD burners. He got a resource CD. I would
like to be able to do a clean install and leave off some of the extra
stuff. How often does Dell update the Resource CDs? Could I use my
neighbor's resource CD?

"happycard" <happycardREMOVEXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I received my Dell 8400 on Dec 2. I have a Restore partition. I also have
>the WIndows OS SP2 CD, some of the application CDs. Even through I
>selected NO security SW, trailware for McAfee firewall, A/V, etc. were
>installed but no McAfee CD. I did not get a Resource CD. I have a
>neighbor who received an 8400 about a month ago, before Dell was offering
>the dual format DVD burners. He got a resource CD. I would like to be
>able to do a clean install and leave off some of the extra stuff. How often
>does Dell update the Resource CDs? Could I use my neighbor's resource CD?

My 8400 bought in September came with Resource CD REV A03.

The 8400 I bought in November came with Rescource CD REV A07.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

You could always download the nessesary drivers off Dells website and create
your own, failing that try Dell customer services
"happycard" <happycardREMOVEXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I received my Dell 8400 on Dec 2. I have a Restore partition. I also have
>the WIndows OS SP2 CD, some of the application CDs. Even through I
>selected NO security SW, trailware for McAfee firewall, A/V, etc. were
>installed but no McAfee CD. I did not get a Resource CD. I have a
>neighbor who received an 8400 about a month ago, before Dell was offering
>the dual format DVD burners. He got a resource CD. I would like to be
>able to do a clean install and leave off some of the extra stuff. How often
>does Dell update the Resource CDs? Could I use my neighbor's resource CD?

Hi,
On Dimension & Inspiron, Dell now does not propose anymore the resource CD.
The reason is that you now have a ghosted image of your factory install
on the HDD.
For most of software issue, TS will help you restoring back the system to
default
in some clics. (easier than a full manual install)
If it happens to need a HDD replacement, you can ask the resource CD for
free by calling Dell.
Regards

"happycard" <happycardREMOVEXYZ@comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de
news: ddSdnfk3lpsQXy_cRVn-hw@comcast.com...
>I received my Dell 8400 on Dec 2. I have a Restore partition. I also have
>the WIndows OS SP2 CD, some of the application CDs. Even through I
>selected NO security SW, trailware for McAfee firewall, A/V, etc. were
>installed but no McAfee CD. I did not get a Resource CD. I have a
>neighbor who received an 8400 about a month ago, before Dell was offering
>the dual format DVD burners. He got a resource CD. I would like to be
>able to do a clean install and leave off some of the extra stuff. How often
>does Dell update the Resource CDs? Could I use my neighbor's resource CD?

Resource CD or OS CD?

I have never heard they do not include the Resource CD.

Tom