Not to let you all know how stupid I am but--if I take a movie from my video
camera, it creates a file. If I want to save that file to a CD like I do
data files, do I have to burn it to a DVD CD or to a regualr CD? I assume I
can just select the file and send to "D" or which ever slot my proper CD is
in?
Some guidence would be much appreciated...Thank You.

"Old Bob" wrote:

> Not to let you all know how stupid I am but--if I take a movie from my video
> camera, it creates a file. If I want to save that file to a CD like I do
> data files, do I have to burn it to a DVD CD or to a regualr CD? I assume I
> can just select the file and send to "D" or which ever slot my proper CD is
> in?
> Some guidence would be much appreciated...Thank You.

Provided the movie file is small enough to fit on a CD, you can use either.

From: "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Not to let you all know how stupid I am but--if I take a movie from my video
| camera, it creates a file. If I want to save that file to a CD like I do
| data files, do I have to burn it to a DVD CD or to a regualr CD? I assume I
| can just select the file and send to "D" or which ever slot my proper CD is
| in?
| Some guidence would be much appreciated...Thank You.

If you burn it to a CD, it is in the original computer file format (MOV, MPEG, AVI, etc.)
and you can play it on any computer that can read the CD and has an appropriate file format
viewer. You may also be able to create a VideoCD that can be can be played on a computer or
DVD player that support VideoCD format.

If you want to burn it to a a DVD you can use software such as ArcSoft's ShowBiz 2.0 and
then create a DVD that can be played on a DVD player on a computer or one for a TV set.

HTH

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

thank you David,
In other words, if I want to view on the TV I have to burn to a DVD player.
If I just want to view on the PC or have a back up for these files, I can
burn to a regular CD depending on the size of the movie file. Doesn't XP
have any default program that will burn to a DVD? When I right click on the
movie file and say send to ...and select my DVD burner drive won't it burn
automatically to and as a DVD?

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Not to let you all know how stupid I am but--if I take a movie from my video
> | camera, it creates a file. If I want to save that file to a CD like I do
> | data files, do I have to burn it to a DVD CD or to a regualr CD? I assume I
> | can just select the file and send to "D" or which ever slot my proper CD is
> | in?
> | Some guidence would be much appreciated...Thank You.
>
> If you burn it to a CD, it is in the original computer file format (MOV, MPEG, AVI, etc.)
> and you can play it on any computer that can read the CD and has an appropriate file format
> viewer. You may also be able to create a VideoCD that can be can be played on a computer or
> DVD player that support VideoCD format.
>
> If you want to burn it to a a DVD you can use software such as ArcSoft's ShowBiz 2.0 and
> then create a DVD that can be played on a DVD player on a computer or one for a TV set.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Windows XP does not natively include software which will create a video DVD that can be
played on DVD players. You will have to use third party software for that.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

> Not to let you all know how stupid I am but--if I take a movie from my
video
> camera, it creates a file. If I want to save that file to a CD like I do
> data files, do I have to burn it to a DVD CD or to a regualr CD? I assume
> can just select the file and send to "D" or which ever slot my proper CD
is
> in?
> Some guidence would be much appreciated...Thank You.

Most VCDs can be played on a DVD player that sends the video to a TV. VCD
format uses MPEG1.
DVD movies use MPEG2, and not just any MPEG2 either. Won't go to MPEG4
route, too new for most stuff.

The video from a digital camcorder is raw digital video, and useless unless
translated (encoding) to a format suitable for the device for replay, your
PC. Whether a PC can play such a video file is strictly software related.
This must be further translated to a format suitable for removable media
such a CD or DVD and its corresponding recognition capabilities. Not all
are the same. On a PC this is both firmware and software related (some of
it can be 3rd party) for VCD or DVD playback. On a standalone DVD player,
its built into the firmware of the player. Most late model DVD players can
play most any VCD or DVD format. But again, not all are the same.

Thank you all