Window 32 bit to Window 64 bit OS

Hello, I was trying to install window 64 bit window on my window 7 32 OS but it would not let me. I understand you can not transfer files to 64 bit from 32 bit. However it is not giving me the option to clean install? I get this error at start up - This verison of this file is not compatible with verison of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see wheater you need an x86(32 bit) or x64 (64-bit) verison of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
15 answers Last reply
More about window window
  1. You will have to run it by booting from the CD (or whatever media you are using) to install.
  2. I tried to boot from the CD but it did not work. Unless I am doing something wrong.
  3. In the BIOS make sure the boot sequence has the dvd drive you are using first although on most systems if a bootable dvd is detected it should say so as its starting up and give you the option to boot from it;

Although this way, doing a clean install would overwrite your files and previous OS so back them up and i would reccommend following a better written guide than mine. :L
  4. I change cd/room to be my first boot however the it did not boot from my CD so I guess I just have a crap disc.
  5. You sure the disc is bootable? If you burnt it yourself then try burning it at a lower speed and using the verify disc option in your burning software to make sure the disc burnt properly.
  6. is it a 64 bit capable computer!
  7. You can not install XP over windows 7 need to do a clean install and boot from the XP cd. Make sure its not a XP upgrade cd or you can not boot and do a clean install
  8. You keep saying CD. Windows 7 is too large for a CD, it is on a DVD. Make sure that you have a CD/DVD drive. If it is only a CD drive, that's the problem.

If you have a CD/DVD drive, download a live CD such as Ubuntu 64-bit, and see if you can boot to it from your CD/DVD drive. If you can then your CD/DVD is okay.

If you don't have a 64-bit computer, the Ubuntu CD will start to load and then tell you that you don't have a 64-bit processor.

If your CD/DVD drive is okay and you have a 64-bit machine, then you need to re-burn Windows 7 to a new DVD.
  9. in the bios set the cd rom drive first in the list!
  10. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    is it a 64 bit capable computer!

Sorry if I was not clear. Yesterday, I was building this computer. I temporally installed window 7 32 bit (had no serial key) to see if the system would work. My system is compatible with window 7 professional 64 bit. The new system specs :
    i7 930 2.8ghz
    Radeon 5870 XFX edition
    6gb of DDR3 RAM
    500GB harddrive
    750 PSU corsair
  11. Is there any other way I could do a clean install?
  12. Boot to the install disc, choose 'Custom Install", and point the installer at the same partition which you currently have windows installed to.
  13. I would do that but it is not happening in windows/nor bios
  14. I think the disc that the school gave me is just a "upgrade" if that is the case I will not be able to use this cd nor serial key. I think I will just buy a OEM verison on neweggs.
  15. Then again I was able to install the 32 bit window 7 when I got the CD from campus last year. ~_~ When try to use the 32 bit pro cd it boot up just fine. (of course I have no reason to install it since it is already on the machine but wanted to check if it was my cd/rom)
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7