Window 32 bit to Window 64 bit OS

Hashio

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hello, I was trying to install window 64 bit window on my window 7 32 OS but it would not let me. I understand you can not transfer files to 64 bit from 32 bit. However it is not giving me the option to clean install? I get this error at start up - This verison of this file is not compatible with verison of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see wheater you need an x86(32 bit) or x64 (64-bit) verison of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

starkore

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
In the BIOS make sure the boot sequence has the dvd drive you are using first although on most systems if a bootable dvd is detected it should say so as its starting up and give you the option to boot from it;

Although this way, doing a clean install would overwrite your files and previous OS so back them up and i would reccommend following a better written guide than mine. :L

starkore

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
You sure the disc is bootable? If you burnt it yourself then try burning it at a lower speed and using the verify disc option in your burning software to make sure the disc burnt properly.

backfir3

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
You can not install XP over windows 7 need to do a clean install and boot from the XP cd. Make sure its not a XP upgrade cd or you can not boot and do a clean install

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
You keep saying CD. Windows 7 is too large for a CD, it is on a DVD. Make sure that you have a CD/DVD drive. If it is only a CD drive, that's the problem.

If you have a CD/DVD drive, download a live CD such as Ubuntu 64-bit, and see if you can boot to it from your CD/DVD drive. If you can then your CD/DVD is okay.

If you don't have a 64-bit computer, the Ubuntu CD will start to load and then tell you that you don't have a 64-bit processor.

If your CD/DVD drive is okay and you have a 64-bit machine, then you need to re-burn Windows 7 to a new DVD.

Hashio

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

Sorry if I was not clear. Yesterday, I was building this computer. I temporally installed window 7 32 bit (had no serial key) to see if the system would work. My system is compatible with window 7 professional 64 bit. The new system specs :
i7 930 2.8ghz
Radeon 5870 XFX edition
6gb of DDR3 RAM
500GB harddrive
750 PSU corsair

Hashio

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I think the disc that the school gave me is just a "upgrade" if that is the case I will not be able to use this cd nor serial key. I think I will just buy a OEM verison on neweggs.

Hashio

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Then again I was able to install the 32 bit window 7 when I got the CD from campus last year. ~_~ When try to use the 32 bit pro cd it boot up just fine. (of course I have no reason to install it since it is already on the machine but wanted to check if it was my cd/rom)