Windows Explorer displays incorrect drive name

I removed the Zip drive from my system over 2 years ago yet Windows Explorer
still calls my e: drive "Zip 100" instead of the Samsung CD drive that it is.
Properties and Device Manager correct identify it as the Samsung. I have
uninstalled all Iomega software and can find no instance of Iomega or Zip in
the registry. How do I get Explorer to correct name drive e:?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer displays incorrect drive name

    Hi,

    Have you checked the enumeration here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have you checked the enumeration here:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    There's no mention of Iomega or Zip. Under PARALLEL PORTS the 2nd entry is
    "\Device\Parallel0 REG_SZ \DosDevices\LPT1"

    Is that it? Is there a file where Explorer stores the drive names or is it
    just in the registry somewhere? If the latter, why doesn't Zip 100 turn up
    under a search of the registry?

    Hi,

    Actually, I was leaning towards the scsi branch where you often see ide
    drives enumerated.

    --

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Have you checked the enumeration here:
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    > There's no mention of Iomega or Zip. Under PARALLEL PORTS the 2nd entry
    > is
    > "\Device\Parallel0 REG_SZ \DosDevices\LPT1"
    >
    > Is that it? Is there a file where Explorer stores the drive names or is
    > it
    > just in the registry somewhere? If the latter, why doesn't Zip 100 turn
    > up
    > under a search of the registry?

    The SCSI branch shows the Samsung drive. I found a couple of Iomega
    references in another area of the registry yesterday and deleted those but
    Explorer still shows Zip 100 as my e: drive. Thanks for the help. I think
    I'll just give up.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Actually, I was leaning towards the scsi branch where you often see ide
    > drives enumerated.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "lmacmil" <lmacmil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Have you checked the enumeration here:
    > >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > > There's no mention of Iomega or Zip. Under PARALLEL PORTS the 2nd entry
    > > is
    > > "\Device\Parallel0 REG_SZ \DosDevices\LPT1"
    > >
    > > Is that it? Is there a file where Explorer stores the drive names or is
    > > it
    > > just in the registry somewhere? If the latter, why doesn't Zip 100 turn
    > > up
    > > under a search of the registry?

Windows Explorer Windows XP