Windows Explorer displays incorrect drive name

August 27, 2005 12:34:02 PM

I removed the Zip drive from my system over 2 years ago yet Windows Explorer
still calls my e: drive "Zip 100" instead of the Samsung CD drive that it is.
Properties and Device Manager correct identify it as the Samsung. I have
uninstalled all Iomega software and can find no instance of Iomega or Zip in
the registry. How do I get Explorer to correct name drive e:?
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:42:33 PM

Hi,

Have you checked the enumeration here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"lmacmil" <lmacmil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I removed the Zip drive from my system over 2 years ago yet Windows
>Explorer
> still calls my e: drive "Zip 100" instead of the Samsung CD drive that it
> is.
> Properties and Device Manager correct identify it as the Samsung. I have
> uninstalled all Iomega software and can find no instance of Iomega or Zip
> in
> the registry. How do I get Explorer to correct name drive e:?
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:42:34 PM

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you checked the enumeration here:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

There's no mention of Iomega or Zip. Under PARALLEL PORTS the 2nd entry is
"\Device\Parallel0 REG_SZ \DosDevices\LPT1"

Is that it? Is there a file where Explorer stores the drive names or is it
just in the registry somewhere? If the latter, why doesn't Zip 100 turn up
under a search of the registry?
August 29, 2005 12:58:31 AM

Hi,

Actually, I was leaning towards the scsi branch where you often see ide
drives enumerated.

--

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you checked the enumeration here:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

> There's no mention of Iomega or Zip. Under PARALLEL PORTS the 2nd entry
> is
> "\Device\Parallel0 REG_SZ \DosDevices\LPT1"
>
> Is that it? Is there a file where Explorer stores the drive names or is
> it
> just in the registry somewhere? If the latter, why doesn't Zip 100 turn
> up
> under a search of the registry?
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:59:04 AM

The SCSI branch shows the Samsung drive. I found a couple of Iomega
references in another area of the registry yesterday and deleted those but
Explorer still shows Zip 100 as my e: drive. Thanks for the help. I think
I'll just give up.

!