Sign in with
Your question

mmmh g5

Last response: in CPUs
September 4, 2003 5:18:16 PM

can I ask it......what does you all make of the mac g5 whew.. there I,v said it.....should intel be waiting 4 amd to catch up b4 it releases pentium 5, or have they made a bit of a shambles bout the whole ting..?, oh and has any1 got a g5 here........eerrr k.

More about : mmmh

September 4, 2003 6:37:15 PM

pleasemakeyourpostsmorereadablewithcaptilizationpunctionandusemorethanonesentence

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
September 4, 2003 8:52:28 PM

Since i have yet to see non apple released benchies...i will go with my gut and say that the g5 probably looks a lot worse than it performs...but that is not necissarly a good thing for performance...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
Related resources
September 4, 2003 11:35:46 PM

becuase very few people own a g5. Many pc users will say it's slow and no wide support.
September 5, 2003 3:32:52 AM

Buzzing the net last nite. Some tech school was going to use 1000 G5 Cpu's I wonder how fast that will be.
September 5, 2003 3:34:44 AM

Do you think that will beat my P4 2.4C OC to 3.0??
September 5, 2003 3:58:04 AM

yes...my pII can beat that cpu...so a g5 will have no problems....haha...make you feel any better?

September 5, 2003 4:38:32 AM

pII against an Apple G5.
Yikes.
Speaking about how many years ago that PII was released.
1998 vs. 2003

<b>j</b>m<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ecor® <b>JAGGI<font color=red>E</font color=red>NAUT™<b> Graphics Processor
feat. up to <font color=green>16X</font color=green> Aliasing & <font color=green>32X</font color=green> Isotropic Fil.
September 5, 2003 8:25:58 AM

i am joking man...just being hard on hwboss...although my 580mhz pii was pretty fast...hmmm

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 09/05/03 04:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 5, 2003 9:14:33 AM

ya. i know it.

But imagine facing off a Pentium 2 @ 250Mhz vs a 1.5GHz G5.

<b>j</b>m<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ecor® <b>JAGGI<font color=red>E</font color=red>NAUT™<b> Graphics Processor
feat. up to <font color=green>16X</font color=green> Aliasing & <font color=green>32X</font color=green> Isotropic Fil.
September 5, 2003 9:36:42 AM

R.I.S.C. makes all the difference, why doesnt intel and AMD go that route? I mean look at what the SNES could do with a RISC proccessor running @ 3.58Mhz!!! now think of the minimum CPU speed required on a PC to get it to emulate a SNES game well (I know it has to emulate a few other components of the SNES but still...)

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:
September 5, 2003 1:09:02 PM

Good grief. The only thing worse than a Mac fanboy is a RISC fanboy. When will people learn that (as far as computers go anyway) the end is infinitely more important than the means?

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
September 6, 2003 3:32:59 AM

Now that tree had to hurt? But the guy looks ok. Bad G5. Makes one want too run out an by one? Ya right.
September 6, 2003 4:18:08 AM

Nothing makes a computer more appealing than its need for anger managment

September 6, 2003 4:21:54 AM

pentium II at 250? When was that made?

You man 350?

September 7, 2003 3:53:49 AM

Thats it. G5 needs to see the movie anger management. No wait they did. That's why the dude goes thru all the walls an into the tree.
September 7, 2003 4:24:09 PM

eerrrr right ok then, well from what I make of it g5 knocks a pc market into a cock-hat so to speak......the only reason I havent looked at a mac in a decade or so was simply that they were a bit crapy one way or another, coz I want my pc to do all my tasks as quickly and as reliably as possible. Now this ting comes along and whoosh......I,ve bark all down the back of me shirt. If I said I,d consider joining a mac chat site would any1 still talk to me...mmh..shirly not thg peeps in denial, tell me it isent so....what does this mean when it comes to buying a pc......errrr or a mac.....those stats dont lie (shut up)....I was just wondering what other non biazed peeps thought..?..excuse the local slang I live on a deserted island... come on people we have to talk about this, we cant go living a lie.
September 7, 2003 6:38:04 PM

Ok first of all, you have horrible grammar and I can't make out anything from what you're saying, which brings me to ask you: What's your point?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>
September 7, 2003 9:49:16 PM

yea, I'm not fanboy of any company. As far as im concerned they all suck... however the more compitition and the less bios oppinions about each company the better... i personally hope to hell that the G5 is what it says it is... and can stay ahead of any PC for as long as possible... simple to help get Apple a better foot hold.

But im sure Every fan boy here will give me slack for saying such a thing.

anyhow Compitition Drives the markets... and the more compition the better.

If you want to know more about what some people here at THGC think about this issue vote in this poll and read the discutions <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">here in the polls section under "Other CPU reviews at Tom's"</A>

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro(Sapphire) - WD 80G HD (8M Buffer) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW - Iomega Zip 250 int.
September 7, 2003 10:10:58 PM

Issue is, no matter how good Apple gets, it's a Mac, not a PC, it's another market. It has little support. Heck, Linux has more software support. People would never switch to 5000$ computers just because they are better. And Intel or AMD probably won't bother to compete with Apple on best CPU performance. At 3% of the market share, Apple can't hurt a fly even if it improved.

You did see my reply in that POLL right?
I do hope the G5 is powerful, but at the moment, it's marketting that is making it look this way, and that blows. It means it mostly is inferior to the best PCs.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 09/07/03 06:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 8, 2003 4:09:12 AM

Yes i hear you but theroreticly.... if apple Could gain as let say to 10% (i know tht will never happen) but if it DID... would they not have more "software support" would the prices not go down? would they not have more software companies jumping in...

i don't mean to argue your are right on some accounts.

i guess all im doing is trying to get someone here to do a REAL bench of the system!

if apple does deserve recognition it will get it... if it deserves to be shuved aside, yet again. then we'll know... but it just keeps getting shoved aside first.

and to the point about it being another market...its not. they have many differances but in the end they are both Personal Computers.

Apple just makes alot of its own software and supports its own first.

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro(Sapphire) - WD 80G HD (8M Buffer) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW - Iomega Zip 250 int.
September 8, 2003 9:17:27 AM

Dude why does everything have to become a pissing match on this board? I don't own a MAC and personally don't like the feel of them but by no means do they "suck". It all depends what you want to do. If you want to do heavy duty image, video, or music editing then a MAC is very good. If you want an overall system with an emphasis on gaming then the PC is where it's at. It's all about personal preference.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA
September 8, 2003 4:51:04 PM

well the slang, thats a local issue !, sorry if I affended anybody. Anyway I guess what I wanted to know about is where are mac systems at right now ?. One minute there overpriced under speced asthetic boxes and the next they really are looking quite a resonable alternative. I was just surprised they managed to get there thumbs out there buts and come up with a box that in theory blows all I understood (agreed limited) about pc/box theory into a cock hat (local slang). I just wondered whether anyone else had a viewpoint on this !. As all people talk about in these rooms is relative what have mac got that the pc world havent or have they an alien space ship hidden away somewhere?. Sorry if I,m banging on about this but it seems to much an important event to just let slide. I personally will seriously consider buying one witch is something I havent considered for years, mmmh. I figure with a little tweaking of there marketing, a slightly more flexible design proccess and some luck mac`s could take over the world (small point) bangin on again, sorry about the grammer.
September 8, 2003 5:26:14 PM

Okay, here it is.

Those great stats that Apple touts as the reason why the new G5s are the best PC ever, those are all severely doctored. They use a special high-speed (but innacurate) floating-point library and other compiler options that <i>no</i> home user is going to have the performance benefit of. (Or would want it, because in <i>real</i> software these things would translate into runtime errors.) And their numbers for the PCs are just as hacked in the opposite direction.

Don't believe me? To to the spec database and look up their own <i>non biased</i> scores and compare them to Apple's scores. They're not even close. Apple even admits it, if you can be bothered to search through hundreds of pages of fine print and hours of tracking. They have to admit it because if they didn't it wouldn't be legal. But no one ever said that they had to make it obvious.

And there's the kicker. The new G5 does perform nicely. (The <i>best</i>? Hell no. Nicely? Yes.) And it makes a good box. The price is high and the software choices are rather limited, but then that's what makes a Mac a Mac. Generally speaking (which does not apply in every case of course) the only people who buy a Mac are the people who need/deserve a Mac. Anyone smarter than that wouldn't spend that much money on one in the first place.

Now, as I said in passing, yes the G5 Mac is pretty good. Let us not forget however that Apple had nothing to do with it. What? How could Apple have nothing to do with coming out with a good Mac? Because it's <i>IBM's</i> chip in there, just renamed. On top of that almost all of the hardware in the new Mac was taken from the PC.

And it is that last part that is the <i>real</i> kicker. The new Macs are using almost a complete list of PC components in a PC-like case. Which means that short of the actual processor type, it's just another PC. So the <i>only</i> funcitonal difference then is the processor itself. You can have the same DVD burner, the same audio quality, the same video quality, the same hard drive space, the same RAM, etc., etc. on a PC, for thousands of dollars less.

So what's so special about the new G5 Macs then? Not a damn thing. All that it represents is the performance level that Mac users <i>should</i> have had a long time ago. A Mac's performance <i>finally</i> compares (not beats, but at least once again compares) to a PC's once more. That's it. Mac users are no longer suffering from a performance slump. Whoop-dee-doo. Pay a fortune for that if you want. It's your money.

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
September 8, 2003 5:49:48 PM

Sometimes I spend nights praying you'll come to help me with better explained arguments lol!

Totally agreed with what you said there Slvr.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>
September 8, 2003 5:55:51 PM

thank you for your answer, having just read the poll, or some it I see I,v been in the wrong thread. I would say that some of your points are relative to what I wanted to know such as apple becoming more flexable and giving mac users more to be proud about, The part about mac`s partly being made up of pc bits and pieces shows that apple are getting the message and getting wize to the game, I feel they will be more apparent in the pc world and if clever will be one to watch as an industry in it`s own right ( in the pc world )if you see what I mean....maby you wont anyway thanks for your answer.
September 8, 2003 6:04:29 PM

by the way how much is a dual based Zeon system over there in the states?. I think the dual 1.8mhz g5 (is it) is about 2 grand uk sterling, 3100 us dollers...
September 8, 2003 8:19:50 PM

the duals a 2.0

this idea that the Mac havning more PC parts now is a good thing... that means that we can buy bearbone Macs and upgrade them just like PC where is the problem with that?

but just wondering realy what parts are you talking about?

September 8, 2003 10:15:26 PM

all I,m trying to say is that now perhaps "the mac" might become a more regular player in the comp scene instead of getting a technonolgy and sticking with that technology and improving it so it`s a more reliable platform, witch lets face it,that and asthetics is what they tried to do in the past. I,m just saying perhaps web sites like thg should talk about there systems more.....it may make companies like intel and AMD get there arses kicked witch in my book is a great idea......blar blar blar...but if the G5 box is [-peep-] who cares....I give in.......PC`s rock.
September 8, 2003 10:58:25 PM

I am totally with you on that.

Is there anyone in these forums that eather do reviews for toms or speak with those who do?

if so, how do we go about convincing them or Toms to do a review on this subject?

September 9, 2003 2:06:40 AM

Quote:
I think the dual 1.8mhz g5

Holy Schlamola! When they said Apple is still behind, I didn't think they were still in the 1.8 <i>MHZ</i> days! :wink:

--
September 9, 2003 2:10:08 AM

Quote:
all I,m trying to say is that now perhaps "the mac" might become a more regular player in the comp scene instead of getting a technonolgy and sticking with that technology and improving it so it`s a more reliable platform, witch lets face it,that and asthetics is what they tried to do in the past. I,m just saying perhaps web sites like thg should talk about there systems more.....it may make companies like intel and AMD get there arses kicked witch in my book is a great idea......blar blar blar...but if the G5 box is [-peep-] who cares....I give in.......PC`s rock.

You are right. THG is far less biased than most hardware sites. Conducting a Mac benchmark, as sad as this sounds, will likely have the most unbiased MAC results ever in the history of Apple benchmarks!

However, if they do have better performance, it all comes down to when will Apple succumb to COMPETE the PC market. We've already assessed they are using more and more PC parts. (funny though, IBM made the PC, so, in a way the Power<b>PC</b> 970 which is the G5 is actually a PC! :lol:  ) What remains is pretty much the CPU.
I do wish Apple would think of Intel and AMD and compete them. That would reduce Mac priecs and perhaps create a very different if not inverted world of competition, but certainly a nice one. As it stands, Slvr is pretty much dead on. Mac may be better, but it's because it had to for the Apple community, but it does jack for the PC community as its prices are still retarded.

--
September 9, 2003 2:12:35 AM

Hehe, although I am braggin' a bit here, the forum speed you see here is almost 10 times better than it was 2 years ago. It was dead slow back then. It wasn't until I contacted the great David Stellmack who helped me reach Fredi and get him to update. In a way I contributed first to make this forum faster, but I thank David and Fredi above all. So I do have one contact so far, it's David, who is usually writing for Consumer Electronics, Shows, LAN Parties, some network stuff and games.

I'll see if I can write something later. Though I think you all should just e-mail Frank or Bert. I did so a while ago, linking them to the POLL in fact!

--
September 10, 2003 8:58:37 PM

yea perhaps i should do that to...

maybe i'll piont to a few polls as well

thanks

!