Tech Help - Flipper Problem

Taxman

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

This is a strange one. The machine is a Data East Tales From The Crypt.

Hit the left flipper button and the left flipper works. Hold the button and
it holds.

Hit the right flipper button and both the right upper and lower flippers
work. Hold the right button and both right flippers hold fine.

Hit the right button and hold and they both hold. Continue holding and
press the left and it works.

Here is the problem.

Press and hold the left button and it holds, but then hit the right button
while still holding the left and only the upper right flipper activates. So
the lower right flipped is dead while holding the left flipper up.

I see no strange wiring on the EOS switches. Is there some transistor or
something on the solid state flipper board that could be and issue? Is the
same board used in a Rocky and Bullwinkle so I can swap those and check
this?

Thanks in advance - Dave

Taxman wrote:
> This is a strange one. The machine is a Data East Tales From The Crypt.
>
> Hit the left flipper button and the left flipper works. Hold the button and
> it holds.
>
> Hit the right flipper button and both the right upper and lower flippers
> work. Hold the right button and both right flippers hold fine.
>
> Hit the right button and hold and they both hold. Continue holding and
> press the left and it works.
>
> Here is the problem.
>
> Press and hold the left button and it holds, but then hit the right button
> while still holding the left and only the upper right flipper activates. So
> the lower right flipped is dead while holding the left flipper up.
>
> I see no strange wiring on the EOS switches. Is there some transistor or
> something on the solid state flipper board that could be and issue? Is the
> same board used in a Rocky and Bullwinkle so I can swap those and check
> this?
>
> Thanks in advance - Dave

Dave, There is a transistor board on the left side of the lower
cabinet which operates the flippers on both Rocky and Bullwinkle and
Tales of the Crypt. I would start there. Look at the connectors and
make sure the molex are on properly and then I would start the debug
process. There are some drivers and some simple circuits. Sounds like
the problem is there.

Hope that gives you a place to start. Bill