XP Pro installation only recognizes one partition instead ..

Hi all,

I bought three months ago a Compaq Presario. By default, the 200 Gbytes
hard disk had two partitions. The main (C drive letter) with XP Home
Edition installed and the second (D drive letter) is a small partition
used for reinstalling again the OS. Compaq and other vendors work now
with that kind of system recovery.

Well, my idea was to install XP Pro in another partition because XP
Home is quite limited for work. So using Partition Magis 8, I created
another two partitions: one for keeping data save (L drive letter, 107
Gbytes, FAT32 and primary) and the other to install XP Pro (M driver
letter, 45 Gbytes, NTFS and also primary). All went ok.

Now, when booting from XP Pro install CD, when system asks me where do
I want to install XP Pro, only appears one partition. It does only
appear "C", but it shows that contains 131 Gbytes, when actually fits
only 30 GBytes. Incredible! It's not normal because using Windows
Explorer from XP Home I can see the four partitions and can read/write
data normally in each partition. I have also checked all partitions
with "chkdsk" and there are no errors nowhere.

Any ideas or suggestions? This issue really hurries to me. Thanks very
much.

imho, You should have created the XP Pro partition as a primary & as the earlier one (eg, L drive in your scenario) and the Data partition should be last & created as an "extended" partition.
Lastly, sequence for adding XP Pro to this setup: Bring up the (current) XP Home, insert XP Pro CD, let it run setup.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

mloichate@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought three months ago a Compaq Presario. By default, the 200
> Gbytes hard disk had two partitions. The main (C drive letter) with
> XP Home Edition installed and the second (D drive letter) is a small
> partition used for reinstalling again the OS. Compaq and other
> vendors work now with that kind of system recovery.
>
> Well, my idea was to install XP Pro in another partition because XP
> Home is quite limited for work. So using Partition Magis 8, I created
> another two partitions: one for keeping data save (L drive letter, 107
> Gbytes, FAT32 and primary) and the other to install XP Pro (M driver
> letter, 45 Gbytes, NTFS and also primary). All went ok.
>
> Now, when booting from XP Pro install CD, when system asks me where do
> I want to install XP Pro, only appears one partition. It does only
> appear "C", but it shows that contains 131 Gbytes, when actually fits
> only 30 GBytes. Incredible! It's not normal because using Windows
> Explorer from XP Home I can see the four partitions and can read/write
> data normally in each partition. I have also checked all partitions
> with "chkdsk" and there are no errors nowhere.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions? This issue really hurries to me. Thanks very
> much.

Thanks for your reply Maurice,

So, you meanI can change the drive letter to the XP Pro partition in
order to locate it earlier than the partition that contains data? When
you mean "extended", you mean logical partition? I can put data
partition as logical too.

And about XP Pro installation steps, the only thing I do is insert XP
Pro installation CD and run it from DOS, because in the boot sequence
the starting device is DVD-ROM, before the hard disk. You mean that,
don't you?

I'm quite confused because few months ago did already same steps and XP
Pro installation recognized all partitions correctly. But I had a
problem and had to reformart the PC. That's why I was wondering if
could be a hard disk problem.

Anyway, I'll try with your advices, but do you think that behaviour is
normal? Will I solve this just changing the order of the partitions and
making data partition as logical?

Thanks very much again.