Sign in with
Your question

INTEL slowing down the industry

Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2003 4:40:03 PM

according to the INQ

INTEL lack of DX9 support is lagging MS's LONGHORN from being put out sooner

MS is just WAITING around clicking its heels ... no wonder MS had time to work on xp-64 for AMD

INTEL... with no comp.. nothing would advance

More about : intel slowing industry

September 5, 2003 6:38:20 PM

Ummmmmm, how exactly is Intel dragging it's heels in terms of dx9. Last I knew processor makers didn't really have a role in the graphics market. It this is YOUR logic, then I suppose I could say that AMD is the reason why OpenGL 2 isn't out yet.....just doesn't make sense.

No matter where you go, there you are.
September 5, 2003 7:28:41 PM

Maybe he means their integrated graphics chips? Intel does have a significant portion of the graphics market.
Related resources
September 5, 2003 7:32:26 PM

im gettin tired of him and rramjet

its frusturating really! theres no good debates because people are just leaving, with their heads shaking

-------

<A HREF="http://www.teenirc.net/chat/tomshardware.html" target="_new"> come to THGC chat~ NOW. dont make me get up ffs @#@$</A>
September 5, 2003 7:59:38 PM

Quote:
Maybe he means their integrated graphics chips? Intel does have a significant portion of the graphics market.

Significant, yes. Is that important though? No.

What DX9 has to do with Longhorn is, well, <i>nothing</i>. There's absolutely no reason that Longhorn couldn't even go back as far as DX7 to meet it's requirements. (And quite possibly even earlier than that.)

As usual this is just a combination of 'the inquirer' being the joke of the tech news community that they are and popegoldx being the joke of the pc enthusiasts that he is.

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
September 5, 2003 8:08:33 PM

Quote:
theres no good debates because people are just leaving, with their heads shaking

Actually, I think there are no good debates because there's nothing new <i>to</i> debate. Or at least worthy of debate.

I mean AMD's 'hammer' has been hyped for years and we <i>still</i> don't have a SOHO PC with one to know just how well it actually performs. Conversation on that subject got boring a year ago.

Scotty, while being a new CPU core, probably won't be all that interesting anyway. It'll just be a better P4. Joy. **shrug**

DDRII ... when the hell is that finally coming out? **sigh**

RDRAM? Long dead. Yellowstone/Raser/whatever? Who knows when (if?) that'll even be used in video cards, not to mention PCs.

Graphics cards? Yawn. ATI and nVidia have seemed to suck the life out of making those interesting already.

Sound cards? Yeah, right. More speakers and better bit rates. Ooh boy. As if I'm having problems with the quality of what I already have.

I could go on and on, but the point is that there's just nothing interesting anymore. It got dull. The controversy of <i>anything</i> has died. There's just nothing left to debate.

Admittedly though, popegoldx and such aren't doing any to help make the forum more interesting. Poopy isn't even funny anymore. It's just gotten so routine, old, and stale.

Anyone ever read "World on Blood"? I think there's an Elephant sitting on the whole industry and all of it's observers.

... Except for the Mac enthusiasts. They get hyper over any little thing, and Apple's doctored benchmarks are certainly more than little.

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
September 5, 2003 8:13:13 PM

Wow! Maybe you should... GET A LIFE...

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
September 5, 2003 8:22:26 PM

DDR wont even be too exciting when it comes out cause...it should have the same transfer speeds as ddr (16 bytes per physical clock, 8 bytes per ddr clock) i just wonder if we will be able to have tighter timmings...such as cas 1.5? oo that would be cool...

And i do agree with phial...i mean there used to be good debates...not started by trolls but by the veterans of the forum...and boy am i itching for another good EDUCATED cpu debate...looks like when scotty and A64 come out my wishes will be answered...

And finally...

Quote:
Admittedly though, popegoldx and such aren't doing any to help make the forum more interesting

rammy i think that was aimed at you...so hush up lover boy (after all according to you all intel owners are gay)

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2003 12:18:53 AM

Gee, after that decent post on "A64" performance you give us this? P4 has nothing to do with DX9, nor does any Athlon, nor even the C3. If anyone is dragging out CPU product releases it's AMD, because Intel only releases processors as fast as they have to in order to maintain a lead.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 6, 2003 1:07:47 AM

This is an arguement that should more or less be directed to Nvidia with their Nv30 boards, really. CPUs have little to do with the development & support for 3D Graphics APIs like DirectX & OpenGL. Yes, CPUs provide some support with on-die hardware extentions like MMX, SSE (1&2), 3D-Now, etc., but if you have a beef with 3D API support, either talk to Bill Gates, or John Carmack! They'll directly answer your e-mails & give you a free next-gen Game Alphas, free graphics cards, an alpha of Windows 64-bit, a spot on the yearly payroll, unrestricted access to their research labroatories, and all that other good stuff for your faithful input.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
September 6, 2003 2:14:46 AM

Lay off Phial Ramjet, ok?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>
September 6, 2003 3:23:13 AM

Same old dribble from those two.
September 6, 2003 3:26:24 AM

Well now that it's Sept. We are getting closer to the launch dates for A64 and Scotty. By then we can have real results.
September 6, 2003 3:48:54 AM

I'm definitely excited as well, but the fact that AMD has 3 platforms already announced(including Opteron) for the K8 is really doing a # on my enthusiasm factor. I probably won't even bother with 754 pin K8 unless a decent board is dirt cheap, which probably won't happen. Normally, I would be willing to shell out alot more money for a mobo, but I'm not the type that likes to get switch out motherboards like underwear every year.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
September 6, 2003 4:15:06 AM

just thought of something? Has amd been to lazy to make their own chipset for the A64/opteron?

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
September 6, 2003 8:53:12 AM

I dunno if AMD has enough resources (physical or monetarily) to develop both the processors and the chipsets. Albeit, I would definitely not say that AMD has been lazy, just that they don't have enough capabilities...

<font color=blue> Ok, so you have to put your "2 cents" in, but its value is only "A penny's worth". Who gets that extra penny? </font color=blue>
September 6, 2003 6:33:01 PM

Ever heard of AMD8000?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>
September 7, 2003 3:45:29 AM

Wow AMD8000!!!! When does that come out? Jan 2004?
!