jay

Hi There,

New 250gig hard drive, partitioned into 3 partitions, two NTFS, one FAT32,
and one large unused part. Partition One active.

Works fine in the slave position.

I would like to move it to the master position, and reload XP onto it.

When I do, I get "Verifyiying DMI pool" then "invalid Boot .ini", then it
restarts and is stuck in a loop.

So I searched the forum on this foynd out what I thought the problem, and
created a "XP Boot Floppy" with:

NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and a Boot.ini that I searched the C: drive for. It
looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

So now when I reboot with the new drive, with the boot floppy in A:

I get a "non system disk" error.

By teh way, I'm trying to reload using the OEM Dell XP CD. " Reinstallation
CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" It also says on the disc, This CD in
not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.

Could there be something wrong with my boot.ini, or am I missing something
else here?

Thanks alot!

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> New 250gig hard drive, partitioned into 3 partitions, two NTFS, one FAT32,
> and one large unused part. Partition One active.
>
> Works fine in the slave position.
>
> I would like to move it to the master position, and reload XP onto it.
>
> When I do, I get "Verifyiying DMI pool" then "invalid Boot .ini", then it
> restarts and is stuck in a loop.
>
> So I searched the forum on this foynd out what I thought the problem, and
> created a "XP Boot Floppy" with:
>
> NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and a Boot.ini that I searched the C: drive for. It
> looks like this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>
> So now when I reboot with the new drive, with the boot floppy in A:
>
> I get a "non system disk" error.
>
> By teh way, I'm trying to reload using the OEM Dell XP CD. "
Reinstallation
> CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" It also says on the disc, This CD
in
> not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.
>
> Could there be something wrong with my boot.ini, or am I missing something
> else here?
>
> Thanks alot!

There is one obvious error in your boot.ini file: In one
line you have partition(0), in the other it's partition(1).
The number must be the same and it must be greater
than 0. Try 1, 2 or 3! You can also play with rdisk(x).
x must be 0 or greater.

jay

Sorry, but I don't see how it's different.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi There,
> >
> > New 250gig hard drive, partitioned into 3 partitions, two NTFS, one FAT32,
> > and one large unused part. Partition One active.
> >
> > Works fine in the slave position.
> >
> > I would like to move it to the master position, and reload XP onto it.
> >
> > When I do, I get "Verifyiying DMI pool" then "invalid Boot .ini", then it
> > restarts and is stuck in a loop.
> >
> > So I searched the forum on this foynd out what I thought the problem, and
> > created a "XP Boot Floppy" with:
> >
> > NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and a Boot.ini that I searched the C: drive for. It
> > looks like this:
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> > Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> >
> > So now when I reboot with the new drive, with the boot floppy in A:
> >
> > I get a "non system disk" error.
> >
> > By teh way, I'm trying to reload using the OEM Dell XP CD. "
> Reinstallation
> > CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" It also says on the disc, This CD
> in
> > not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.
> >
> > Could there be something wrong with my boot.ini, or am I missing something
> > else here?
> >
> > Thanks alot!
>
> There is one obvious error in your boot.ini file: In one
> line you have partition(0), in the other it's partition(1).
> The number must be the same and it must be greater
> than 0. Try 1, 2 or 3! You can also play with rdisk(x).
> x must be 0 or greater.

My apologies - it seems I need to buy new glasses. However,
the rest of my reply still stands - start playing with these
numbers!

> Sorry, but I don't see how it's different.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi There,
> > >
> > > New 250gig hard drive, partitioned into 3 partitions, two NTFS, one
FAT32,
> > > and one large unused part. Partition One active.
> > >
> > > Works fine in the slave position.
> > >
> > > I would like to move it to the master position, and reload XP onto it.
> > >
> > > When I do, I get "Verifyiying DMI pool" then "invalid Boot .ini", then
it
> > > restarts and is stuck in a loop.
> > >
> > > So I searched the forum on this foynd out what I thought the problem,
and
> > > created a "XP Boot Floppy" with:
> > >
> > > NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and a Boot.ini that I searched the C: drive for.
It
> > > looks like this:
> > >
> > > [boot loader]
> > > timeout=30
> > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> > > [operating systems]
> > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> > > Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> > >
> > > So now when I reboot with the new drive, with the boot floppy in A:
> > >
> > > I get a "non system disk" error.
> > >
> > > By teh way, I'm trying to reload using the OEM Dell XP CD. "
> > Reinstallation
> > > CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" It also says on the disc, This
CD
> > in
> > > not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.
> > >
> > > Could there be something wrong with my boot.ini, or am I missing
something
> > > else here?
> > >
> > > Thanks alot!
> >
> > There is one obvious error in your boot.ini file: In one
> > line you have partition(0), in the other it's partition(1).
> > The number must be the same and it must be greater
> > than 0. Try 1, 2 or 3! You can also play with rdisk(x).
> > x must be 0 or greater.

jay

no dice,

I've tried all the #'s.

????

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> My apologies - it seems I need to buy new glasses. However,
> the rest of my reply still stands - start playing with these
> numbers!
>
> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, but I don't see how it's different.
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> FAT32,

> it

> and

> It

> > > Reinstallation
> CD
> > > in

> something

> > > There is one obvious error in your boot.ini file: In one
> > > line you have partition(0), in the other it's partition(1).
> > > The number must be the same and it must be greater
> > > than 0. Try 1, 2 or 3! You can also play with rdisk(x).
> > > x must be 0 or greater.

jay

Anyone?

Any Ideas? I'm totally lost here. Please help!!!

"Jay" wrote:

> no dice,
>
> I've tried all the #'s.
>
> ????
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > My apologies - it seems I need to buy new glasses. However,
> > the rest of my reply still stands - start playing with these
> > numbers!
> >
> > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Sorry, but I don't see how it's different.

> > FAT32,

> > it

> > and

> > It

> > CD

> > something

OK, time to get more serious - see below.

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> New 250gig hard drive, partitioned into 3 partitions, two NTFS, one FAT32,
> and one large unused part. Partition One active.
>
> Works fine in the slave position.

- What exactly do you mean with "works fine"?
- Did you load an operating system onto this new disk?
- If so, which drive?
- What other disks are installed?
- Do they have an operating system installed?
- Which disk is connected to the primary IDE controller, which to the
secondary?

> I would like to move it to the master position, and reload XP onto it.
>
> When I do, I get "Verifyiying DMI pool" then "invalid Boot .ini", then it
> restarts and is stuck in a loop.

- Did you remove your original disk?
- Did you boot the machine from your WinXP CD?

> So I searched the forum on this foynd out what I thought the problem, and
> created a "XP Boot Floppy" with:
>
> NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and a Boot.ini that I searched the C: drive for. It
> looks like this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Since your master disk is new, where does its boot.ini file
come from?

> So now when I reboot with the new drive, with the boot floppy in A:

- Under what OS did you format your floppy disk?
- What files does it have?

> I get a "non system disk" error.
>
> By teh way, I'm trying to reload using the OEM Dell XP CD. "
Reinstallation
> CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" It also says on the disc, This CD
in
> not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.
>
> Could there be something wrong with my boot.ini, or am I missing something
> else here?
>
> Thanks alot!

jay

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> OK, time to get more serious - see below.
>

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi There,
> >
> > New 250gig hard drive, partitioned into 3 partitions, two NTFS, one FAT32,
> > and one large unused part. Partition One active.
> >
> > Works fine in the slave position.
>
> - What exactly do you mean with "works fine"?

It's partitioned (250 gig drive, two 20 gig parts, one 30 gig, and a whole
lot of unformated space for now), and I can write to and read from it. I
backed up my whole C: drive to it' second partition. It's the D:, plus two
other drive letters.

> - Did you load an operating system onto this new disk?

No, I can't get the computer to boot when this drive is set as a master
using the jumper. Thats what I'm trying to do. Replace my old 10 gig drive
with XP on it with this new drive, and load XP fresh.

> - If so, which drive?
> - What other disks are installed?

In the end, the old 10 gig will be a backup.

> - Do they have an operating system installed?

The old 10 gig is running XP fine.

> - Which disk is connected to the primary IDE controller, which to the
> secondary?

I installed a Ultra ATA/100 IDE Raid controller card, Both the old 10 gig
and the new 250 are connected to it. Master and Slave.

> > I would like to move it to the master position, and reload XP onto it.
> >
> > When I do, I get "Verifyiying DMI pool" then "invalid Boot .ini", then it
> > restarts and is stuck in a loop.
>
> - Did you remove your original disk?

I tried to put it in the slave, then removed it all together, sane result.
> - Did you boot the machine from your WinXP CD?

Tried to, it dosen't get past "DMI Pool"

> > So I searched the forum on this foynd out what I thought the problem, and
> > created a "XP Boot Floppy" with:
> >
> > NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and a Boot.ini that I searched the C: drive for. It
> > looks like this:
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> > Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>
> Since your master disk is new, where does its boot.ini file
> come from?

I copied it to a floppy after searching the C: drive, it wasn't in the root,
I had to search. I also copied it to the root of the D: drive

> > So now when I reboot with the new drive, with the boot floppy in A:
>
> - Under what OS did you format your floppy disk?

I formatted it using the same computer running XP

> - What files does it have?

Boot.ini, NTLDR, and ntdetect

> > I get a "non system disk" error.
> >
> > By teh way, I'm trying to reload using the OEM Dell XP CD. "
> Reinstallation
> > CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" It also says on the disc, This CD
> in
> > not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.
> >
> > Could there be something wrong with my boot.ini, or am I missing something
> > else here?
> >
> > Thanks alot!

Thanks for the help, sorry, my typing is pretty slow.

>> > When I do, I get "Verifyiying DMI pool" then "invalid Boot .ini", then
>> > it
>> > restarts and is stuck in a loop.
>>
>> - Did you remove your original disk?
>
> I tried to put it in the slave, then removed it all together, sane result.
>> - Did you boot the machine from your WinXP CD?
>
> Tried to, it dosen't get past "DMI Pool"
>>
>> > So I searched the forum on this foynd out what I thought the problem,
>> > and
>> > created a "XP Boot Floppy" with:

What boot order are the devices in the Bios?
Is the CD-Rom first?

The XP boot floppy is not going to get the computer to boot to the CD.

What version of XP is on the Dell CD?
--
Ron Sommer

In article <0B8D947D-A7E9-4082-A798-A1C49DAFD0F1@microsoft.com>,
Jay@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > - What exactly do you mean with "works fine"?
>
> It's partitioned (250 gig drive, two 20 gig parts, one 30 gig, and a whole
> lot of unformated space for now), and I can write to and read from it. I
> backed up my whole C: drive to it' second partition. It's the D:, plus two
> other drive letters.
>

> > - Did you load an operating system onto this new disk?
>
> No, I can't get the computer to boot when this drive is set as a master
> using the jumper. Thats what I'm trying to do. Replace my old 10 gig drive
> with XP on it with this new drive, and load XP fresh.

Making a "Copy" of a drive and making an Image of a drive are different
things - in fact, if you copy partitions from drive 0 to Drive 1, you
didn't necessarily copy the boot sector, you didn't necessarily copy
everything needed for it to boot on drive 1.

Get a copy of a ghosting tool, there are a couple free ones if you can't
afford the real ghost. Clone (not copy) the first drive to the second
drive - and you can resize your partitions on the destination drive when
you do this.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

jay

Hi Ron,

The CD says Opersting System. Reinstallation CD MIcrosoft Windows XP Home
Edition.

I aldo tried to boot using a win98CD, as I have a XP home ugrade disc, and
the computer still hangs at "DMI Pool" .

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> >> - Did you remove your original disk?
> >
> > I tried to put it in the slave, then removed it all together, sane result.
> >> - Did you boot the machine from your WinXP CD?
> >
> > Tried to, it dosen't get past "DMI Pool"

> What boot order are the devices in the Bios?
> Is the CD-Rom first?
>
> The XP boot floppy is not going to get the computer to boot to the CD.
>
> What version of XP is on the Dell CD?
> --
> Ron Sommer

jay

I'm aware of that, I just copied the whole drive so teh data would be backed
up. I woudl like to do a Clean install, rather than just Ghosy, but it looks
like that may be what I have to do. Can you direct me to a link for this
software? I need to get this computer up and running today.

Thanks

> I'm aware of that, I just copied the whole drive so teh data would be
> backed
> up. I woudl like to do a Clean install, rather than just Ghosy, but it
> looks
> like that may be what I have to do. Can you direct me to a link for this
> software? I need to get this computer up and running today.

Delete all partitions on the new drive or overwrite track 0 with zeros. The
manufacturer will have a utlity to do this. They sometimes call it a low
level format. Set the new drive as a single/master. Boot from the Windows
CD. Install Windows creating a NTFS partition for the OS. Once Windows is
installed you can create any needed partitions within Windows or with 3rd
party applications if you need FAT32. Once the new drive is set up
re-install the old drive as a slave or on the secondary controller and copy
away.

Kerry

jay

Hi Kerry,

Dosen't there need to be at least one "Active" partition on the new drive?

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm aware of that, I just copied the whole drive so teh data would be
> > backed
> > up. I woudl like to do a Clean install, rather than just Ghosy, but it
> > looks
> > like that may be what I have to do. Can you direct me to a link for this
> > software? I need to get this computer up and running today.
> >

> Delete all partitions on the new drive or overwrite track 0 with zeros. The
> manufacturer will have a utlity to do this. They sometimes call it a low
> level format. Set the new drive as a single/master. Boot from the Windows
> CD. Install Windows creating a NTFS partition for the OS. Once Windows is
> installed you can create any needed partitions within Windows or with 3rd
> party applications if you need FAT32. Once the new drive is set up
> re-install the old drive as a slave or on the secondary controller and copy
> away.
>
> Kerry

jay

OK, Deleted all partitions,

250 gig in master position, windows CD in drive, CDrom, A, C boot sequence
in Bios.

DMI Pool....

"Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disc and Press Enter"

> OK, Deleted all partitions,
>
> 250 gig in master position, windows CD in drive, CDrom, A, C boot sequence
> in Bios.
>
> DMI Pool....
>
> "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disc and Press Enter"

If the old drive is not physically in the system and the system is set to
boot from the CD then there are only a few possibilities.

1) The motherboard doesn't properly support booting from a CD or the
motherboard doesn't support very large hard drives. Make sure the
motherboard supports 48 bit LBA. Update the BIOS or get a new motherboard.

2) The version of Windows is pre SP1 and doesn't support 48 bit LBA. Create
a Windows CD slipstreamed with SP2. This is probably worth doing in any case
if the CD you have doesn't have SP2.

3) Bad Windows CD or it is not a bootable CD. Some OEM's used to ship CD's
like this with older versions of Windows. I haven't seen an XP CD like this.
Try cleaning the CD with warm running water and a lint free cloth to dry it.
Try booting from the CD on another computer.

4) Bad CDROM drive. Check that the cables are tight. Make sure the drive is
set as the secondary master. Make sure the CDROM is set as the first device
to boot from in the BIOS. Try a different CD drive.

5) There is a hardware problem. The most likely is bad ram. I have seen a
system that was supposedly running fine have the same symptoms when trying
to reinstall Windows. It turned out to be bad ram. After I asked the owner
about it he did admit that he was having the occasional reboot or lockup in
Windows. Download and run memtest86+ from www.memtest.org

I would troubleshoot in that order.

Kerry

jay

Hi Kerry,

Here's where I'm at.

I downloaded the widows CP setup discs from microsoft. Ran that, it
partitioned the HD and installed 3rd party RAID driver. Everything seemed to
go OK.

Then it asked me to take out the floppy, and reboot. I did, and it hangs
after DMI Pool...

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter.

I've tried every configuration in the Bios, but it wants to go to the A:
drive to boot.

The Motherboard doesn't support large drives, thats whi I installed the IDE
controller, so the large drive could be seen.

I've just about had it.

> Hi Kerry,
>
> Here's where I'm at.
>
> I downloaded the widows CP setup discs from microsoft. Ran that, it
> partitioned the HD and installed 3rd party RAID driver. Everything seemed
> go OK.
>
> Then it asked me to take out the floppy, and reboot. I did, and it hangs
> after DMI Pool...
>
> Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter.
>
> I've tried every configuration in the Bios, but it wants to go to the A:
> drive to boot.
>
> The Motherboard doesn't support large drives, thats whi I installed the
> IDE
> controller, so the large drive could be seen.
>
> I've just about had it.

Sorry I missed the part in the thread that you had a 3rd party controller
card. It can get very complicated. Try the card manufacturer's site for
support on installing XP. Does Windows boot if you have the old drive
connected as the master on the controller card? Get it working that way
first to make sure the card is setup properly. Make sure you are installing
the right driver. You are not using RAID. Some 3rd party cards you have to
configure the card's BIOS to not use RAID and no driver is needed.

Kerry

I suggest you follow the standard WinXP installation process:
- Install your new disk as a primary master.
- Remove the old disk.
- Set the BIOS so that is uses the CD drive as the first boot device.
- Insert your WinXP CD.
- Boot the machine
- Install WinXP on the first partition of the new disk.

> [...]
> I had to search. I also copied it to the root of the D: drive
> >
> > > So now when I reboot with the new drive, with the boot floppy in A:
> >
> > - Under what OS did you format your floppy disk?
>
> I formatted it using the same computer running XP
>
> > - What files does it have?
>
> Boot.ini, NTLDR, and ntdetect
>

> > > I get a "non system disk" error.
> > >
> > > By teh way, I'm trying to reload using the OEM Dell XP CD. "
> > Reinstallation
> > > CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" It also says on the disc, This
CD
> > in
> > > not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.
> > >
> > > Could there be something wrong with my boot.ini, or am I missing
something
> > > else here?
> > >
> > > Thanks alot!
> >

> Thanks for the help, sorry, my typing is pretty slow.

Old Disk is removed.
Set as master with jumper.
Dell XP CD installed
Bios set to boot CDRom, C, A

Tries to boot, and hangs at Verifying DMI Pool Data...
Disc Boot Failure, Insert System Disc and Press Enter.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> I suggest you follow the standard WinXP installation process:
> - Install your new disk as a primary master.
> - Remove the old disk.
> - Set the BIOS so that is uses the CD drive as the first boot device.
> - Insert your WinXP CD.
> - Boot the machine
> - Install WinXP on the first partition of the new disk.
>

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > OK, time to get more serious - see below.
> > >

> > > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> FAT32,

> > > - What exactly do you mean with "works fine"?
> >
> > It's partitioned (250 gig drive, two 20 gig parts, one 30 gig, and a whole
> > lot of unformated space for now), and I can write to and read from it. I
> > backed up my whole C: drive to it' second partition. It's the D:, plus two
> > other drive letters.
> >

> > > - Did you load an operating system onto this new disk?
> >
> > No, I can't get the computer to boot when this drive is set as a master
> > using the jumper. Thats what I'm trying to do. Replace my old 10 gig
> drive
> > with XP on it with this new drive, and load XP fresh.
> >
> > > - If so, which drive?
> > > - What other disks are installed?
> >
> > In the end, the old 10 gig will be a backup.
> >
> > > - Do they have an operating system installed?
> >
> > The old 10 gig is running XP fine.
> >
> > > - Which disk is connected to the primary IDE controller, which to the
> > > secondary?
> >
> > I installed a Ultra ATA/100 IDE Raid controller card, Both the old 10 gig
> > and the new 250 are connected to it. Master and Slave.

> it
> > >
> > > - Did you remove your original disk?
> >
> > I tried to put it in the slave, then removed it all together, sane result.
> > > - Did you boot the machine from your WinXP CD?
> >
> > Tried to, it dosen't get past "DMI Pool"

> and

> It

> > > Since your master disk is new, where does its boot.ini file
> > > come from?
> >
> > I copied it to a floppy after searching the C: drive, it wasn't in the
> root,
> > I had to search. I also copied it to the root of the D: drive

> > > - Under what OS did you format your floppy disk?
> >
> > I formatted it using the same computer running XP
> >
> > > - What files does it have?
> >
> > Boot.ini, NTLDR, and ntdetect

> > > Reinstallation
> CD
> > > in

> something

> > Thanks for the help, sorry, my typing is pretty slow.

It seems that your system does not want to boot from
your CD drive. Have you tried different boot CDs?

If you can convince it to boot from a floppy boot disk
then you can do this. It ain't nice but it works:

1. Disconnect your old disk and make the new disk the primary master disk.
2. Get a Win98 boot disk with CD support from www.bootdisk.com.
3. Boot the machine with this disk.
4. Use fdisk.exe to make a primary FAT32 partition. I think you'll
be limited to 32 GBytes.
6. Type these commands:
format c: /q /u /s /v
d: (I assume that this is your CD drive letter)
cd \i386
winnt
7. Install WinXP on your 32 GByte partition

Later on you can convert this partition to NTFS if you wish.
To make it larger you need a third party partition manager
such as Acronis or PQMagic.

> Old Disk is removed.
> Set as master with jumper.
> Dell XP CD installed
> Bios set to boot CDRom, C, A
>
> Tries to boot, and hangs at Verifying DMI Pool Data...
> Disc Boot Failure, Insert System Disc and Press Enter.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > I suggest you follow the standard WinXP installation process:
> > - Install your new disk as a primary master.
> > - Remove the old disk.
> > - Set the BIOS so that is uses the CD drive as the first boot device.
> > - Insert your WinXP CD.
> > - Boot the machine
> > - Install WinXP on the first partition of the new disk.
> >

> > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > FAT32,

> > > It's partitioned (250 gig drive, two 20 gig parts, one 30 gig, and a
whole
> > > lot of unformated space for now), and I can write to and read from it.
> > > backed up my whole C: drive to it' second partition. It's the D:, plus
two
> > > other drive letters.

> > > No, I can't get the computer to boot when this drive is set as a
master
> > > using the jumper. Thats what I'm trying to do. Replace my old 10 gig
> > drive
> > > with XP on it with this new drive, and load XP fresh.

> > > In the end, the old 10 gig will be a backup.

> > > The old 10 gig is running XP fine.

> > > I installed a Ultra ATA/100 IDE Raid controller card, Both the old 10
gig
> > > and the new 250 are connected to it. Master and Slave.

> > it

> > > I tried to put it in the slave, then removed it all together, sane
result.

> > > Tried to, it dosen't get past "DMI Pool"

> > and

> > It

> > > I copied it to a floppy after searching the C: drive, it wasn't in the
> > root,
> > > I had to search. I also copied it to the root of the D: drive

> > > I formatted it using the same computer running XP

> > > Boot.ini, NTLDR, and ntdetect

This
> > CD

> > something

> > > Thanks for the help, sorry, my typing is pretty slow.

jay

Hi Pegasus,

I can't say that I've ever needed to boot from a CD, but I did a clean
install if XP on this computer a few years ago.

I went to bootdisc.com, and didn't see any win98 boot discs

Would the "Custom XP Fresh Install Bootable CD" be worth a try?