FS: Roadshow in Sterling Heights, MI, $2,300

I have a very nice Roadshow pinball machine for sale in Sterling
Heights, MI. I do not ship pinball machines. Price is $2,300. Many
photos can be viewed on my webpage:

http://homepage.mac.com/dmowczan

This machine is all original, and includes manuals and an extra
bulldozer blade. This machine, for those who are in the area, was
originally purchased by Roger and placed in the Silverball Arcade in
Pontiac Michigan, the last area pinball retreat where the games were
actually taken care of. Silverball closed several years ago, and I
purchased the machine from Roger prior to him shutting down. I think I
picked it up in 1995 or 1996, so it had about two years on it. Only
home use since then. Machine and art are bright and clear, and you
could not be dissatisfied with this machine. You'll be hard pressed to
find a scratch anywhere on it. All mechanics tip-top with exception
below, no dot on self test.

The bad news -- eyes and eyelids need work. Jaws and sensors are OK,
but mechanically, the eyes and lids have selonoids firing but a limited
range of motion. I do not know what is required for repair.

Thanks,

-Dan

Just for the sake of clarity regarding when the Silverball closed, at
the very earliest, it was in 1997. Roger had a Medieval for quite some
time before finally closing up shop, and he was selling the Medieval,
too. Medieval was a 1997 game, and I'd say that it's probably late
1997 to mid-1998 that Roger closed up shop. I used to play there,
especially in the early 90's. Liked the games, *hated* Roger, and
don't miss him a bit. He's had the kind of personality that made you
stop going to his place *specifically* because you didn't want to be
giving him your money. Some places deserve their fate, and while it
was Gameworks that drove him out (oddly enough, since Gameworks is
*horrible*, and in pretty dire financial straits), in my opinion, he
got what he deserved, if a bit late.

Anyway, that is, indeed, a cosmetically fine-looking Road Show you've
got there, Dan. The pics show a nice machine, indeed. Good luck with
your sale. Oh, and if you're looking for half-decent places to play in
the area, shoot me an email, and I'll try to help you out.

Aron

Absolutely on the timing, but he started selling off the machines that
he had a few years before he was closing because the trouble was
setting in. I'm using the memory of the pickup truck I purchased at
the time -- it was a 1996, and I moved the machine before I put a
bedliner in it, so within a month or so of buying it. By end of 96,
the pinball league was over, and the traffic was slowing down on some
machines, so he started selling. I would still say I pulled it out in
'97 at the absolute latest.

Roger had a personality that not everyone could love, and it just may
have been what killed his business. After an altercation or two, I was
able to get along with him. He really did love pinball.

-Dan

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that you didn't pull the machine out when
you did, I was just trying to clarify when Roger actually closed shop.
He certainly did sell machines from time to time.

Roger had a personality that I doubt his own *mother* would love. He
was a very depressing, sour, insolent man whose life basically ended
when his dog died (and it takes someone *severely* disjointed to make
me unsympathetic when their dog dies, but Roger qualified...). It
seems like I recall some woman (with her daughter) showing some
interest in him at one time, but for the life of me, I don't know
*what* she may have been looking at. Had he run the place with a
better attitude, kept the games a bit more up-to-snuff (when problems
were pointed out to him, and he would choose *not to* fix them, that
was quite the pisser to me...remember the upper flipper on White
Water?), and updated his equipment a great *deal* more (his video games
were heinously out of date [he wouldn't even buy kits!], and he was
only buying less than one pin a year, which isn't much considering the
name and focus of the place), he might still be around these days to
keep the place alive. Heck, had he only done *one* of those three
things, he might still be around.

He's one of those guys who dropped off the face of the earth, and I
find myself saying, "Good riddance to bad garbage." I sometimes wonder
what happened to him, but I think he's just plain gone. Whether he
moved, or died, it really isn't of any consequence to me. I'm glad
he's just that: gone. Seems like nobody in the Detroit area
distributors knows where he is these days, either. That should tell
you something.

Anyway, I'm sorry I'm getting all annoying in your FS post here, Dan.
Like I said, it's a good-looking Road Show, and I hope that the new
owner is happy with their purchase.

Aron (trying to help you out by finding a new owner for it, too)

Just out of curiousity, where was the arcade located?

<news@mowczan.org> wrote in message
>I have a very nice Roadshow pinball machine for sale in Sterling
> Heights, MI. I do not ship pinball machines. Price is $2,300. Many
> photos can be viewed on my webpage:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dmowczan
>
> This machine is all original, and includes manuals and an extra
> bulldozer blade. This machine, for those who are in the area, was
> originally purchased by Roger and placed in the Silverball Arcade in
> Pontiac Michigan, the last area pinball retreat where the games were
> actually taken care of. Silverball closed several years ago, and I
> purchased the machine from Roger prior to him shutting down. I think I
> picked it up in 1995 or 1996, so it had about two years on it. Only
> home use since then. Machine and art are bright and clear, and you
> could not be dissatisfied with this machine. You'll be hard pressed to
> find a scratch anywhere on it. All mechanics tip-top with exception
> below, no dot on self test.
>
> The bad news -- eyes and eyelids need work. Jaws and sensors are OK,
> but mechanically, the eyes and lids have selonoids firing but a limited
> range of motion. I do not know what is required for repair.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dan

It was on Opdyke Road in Pontiac, in a strip mall. I drive by there
every once in a while, and every time I do, I smile, knowing that Roger
isn't making money there anymore.

Aron (Oh yes...I can do "bitter")

Price now $2,200 Firm! Check out the webpage and contact me with any
questions.

Reduced to $2,100. Additional photos shown on website -- be aware
there is some chipping at the sides of the start city hole, but that
photograph is magnified about 3x. Thank you!