Sign in with
Your question

Battery Backup UPS

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 15, 2010 12:39:31 AM

Whats up guys!!

I'm just wondering if u guys had any experience with battery backups, UPS's?

I am running a 1000W power supply and 2 Vid cards, etc... I am looking for a nice UPS that will allow around 5 minutes or more on battery with my system running when the power goes out.... so I can shut down my computer properly...

I had a UPS a very long time ago when I had a crappy computer, died around the 1 year mark, but this is my new baby and I want it to stay well protected, hopefully with something that lasts much longer than 1 year....

Thanks

More about : battery backup ups

December 7, 2011 6:29:15 PM

bmark0610 said:
Whats up guys!!

I'm just wondering if u guys had any experience with battery backups, UPS's?

I am running a 1000W power supply and 2 Vid cards, etc... I am looking for a nice UPS that will allow around 5 minutes or more on battery with my system running when the power goes out.... so I can shut down my computer properly...

I had a UPS a very long time ago when I had a crappy computer, died around the 1 year mark, but this is my new baby and I want it to stay well protected, hopefully with something that lasts much longer than 1 year....

Thanks

I was in the same boat as you. I called APC to find out what they recommend. They said the minimum that I could get in order to run the PC and one monitor would be a SMX2200RMLV2U model (Which costs $1350 for the unit). If you want a battery it's an additional $779. Btw...we run these for our business (They are for servers and are HUGE with HUGE power draw). This was WAY out of my price range. i was thinking I could get some small battery backup. Guess I'll put a small backup on another pc in the house and not my main machine.

I'm running close to the same specs.

Cooler Master HAF X Case (With Red LEDs)
EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 1366 socket Mobo
Rosewill Lightning Series 1000w Gold cert power supply
Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz 130W 6-Core CPU (Can be easily overclocked)
24GB (6x4GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600 G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Ram (Triple Channel)
Crucial C300 Internal RealSSD 64GB SATA 3
2 XFX Radeon HD 6970 Graphics Cards
Corsair H100 CPU Cooler (Liquid Cooled)
February 11, 2014 6:38:58 PM

Do You know how many watts and VA Your system really draws, with all the stuff You will want on the UPS? (e.g., LCDs)  fficial&client=firefox-a#q=kill-a-watt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:o fficial&tbm=shop" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?q=kill%3Da%3Dwatt&ie=utf-...

I use APC Smart-UPSes because they last a lifetime, and employ active power-factor-correction (PFC) that reduces my electric bill. They have lights for the current load, the battery charge level, and for when I need to change the batteries (every few years.) I buy them off CraigsList, and replace the batteries. They are available in rack-mountable and floor-standing (pedestal) models.

An APC Smart-UPS 1500 is the biggest You can find that will plug into a standard outlet. The 2200 models have one prong turned sideways.

So, if a Kill-a-Watt meter says You are under 1440VA / 980W, try a used APC Smart-UPS 1500 and replace the batteries. All total, You should be out between $80 and $150.

A UPS that massively out-rates Your load will cause the runtime to be longer, and, more importantly, it will case the batteries to last more years. In Your case, that would require a special outlet.
!