bmark0610

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Whats up guys!!

I'm just wondering if u guys had any experience with battery backups, UPS's?

I am running a 1000W power supply and 2 Vid cards, etc... I am looking for a nice UPS that will allow around 5 minutes or more on battery with my system running when the power goes out.... so I can shut down my computer properly...

I had a UPS a very long time ago when I had a crappy computer, died around the 1 year mark, but this is my new baby and I want it to stay well protected, hopefully with something that lasts much longer than 1 year....

Thanks

Ender242

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

I was in the same boat as you. I called APC to find out what they recommend. They said the minimum that I could get in order to run the PC and one monitor would be a SMX2200RMLV2U model (Which costs $1350 for the unit). If you want a battery it's an additional $779. Btw...we run these for our business (They are for servers and are HUGE with HUGE power draw). This was WAY out of my price range. i was thinking I could get some small battery backup. Guess I'll put a small backup on another pc in the house and not my main machine.

I'm running close to the same specs.

Cooler Master HAF X Case (With Red LEDs)
EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 1366 socket Mobo
Rosewill Lightning Series 1000w Gold cert power supply
Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz 130W 6-Core CPU (Can be easily overclocked)
24GB (6x4GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600 G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Ram (Triple Channel)
Crucial C300 Internal RealSSD 64GB SATA 3
2 XFX Radeon HD 6970 Graphics Cards
Corsair H100 CPU Cooler (Liquid Cooled)

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Do You know how many watts and VA Your system really draws, with all the stuff You will want on the UPS? (e.g., LCDs) https://www.google.com/search?q=kill%3Da%3Dwatt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=kill-a-watt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=shop

I use APC Smart-UPSes because they last a lifetime, and employ active power-factor-correction (PFC) that reduces my electric bill. They have lights for the current load, the battery charge level, and for when I need to change the batteries (every few years.) I buy them off CraigsList, and replace the batteries. They are available in rack-mountable and floor-standing (pedestal) models.

An APC Smart-UPS 1500 is the biggest You can find that will plug into a standard outlet. The 2200 models have one prong turned sideways.

So, if a Kill-a-Watt meter says You are under 1440VA / 980W, try a used APC Smart-UPS 1500 and replace the batteries. All total, You should be out between $80 and $150.

A UPS that massively out-rates Your load will cause the runtime to be longer, and, more importantly, it will case the batteries to last more years. In Your case, that would require a special outlet.

RayRig

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
I use backup UPS for my system. Since power shutdown is not so common in our area I have decided to go with used UPS. The one I am currently using is this https://www.nriparts.com/electrical/backup-ups/best-power/03050600u-patriot-600-400w-120v-ac-12v-dc-backup-ups/. It looks little worn out but is in good working condition.

sachink70

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

I had old mikrotek 600v heritage ups which was gone bad. I opened the ups and removed the battery and replaced it with Amaron Ap btx9 battery which is popularly known as pulser battery and its working very well with my 520w bronze certified seasonic power supply. I cheked upto 5 min its working well. it cost me rs 1800/- and it has 2 year replacement warrenty aand 2 more years guarantee with some terms and conditions. So far I am happy with it. The new battery is bigger than the original so it just seats outside main ups body. I just used extended wires for terminals

Mar 12, 2018
APC might not be the best place to call. Their small UPS is just a glorified power bar.
I bought a 700va Eaton from these guys 2yrs ago
https://lextec.com/product-category/ups-back-up-eaton/eaton-5s-series

Info on the manufacturer: US site
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/UPS/index.htm

I liked the Lextec guys because they also carry the replacement batteries.
They said they would last approx 3-5yrs.

As far as a bigger battery outside your UPS, that's not a good idea.
You can overload your UPS. The replacement batteries should fit inside your case.