Trying to decide: Samsung R580-JSB1US or Toshiba A505-S6025.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harp

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I really didn't see anything specific on these two models here, and trying to decide between them. Both sell at Best Buy.

Samsung R580-JSB1US $829
Link
-Intel® Core™ i5-430M processor
-Blu-ray Disc-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
-15.6" LED-backlit high-definition display
-6-cell lithium-ion battery
-Windows 7 Home Premium preloaded
-3-in-1 media reader
-NVIDIA GeForce GT 310M graphics
-4GB DDR3 memory
-500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
-Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN
-Color Red/Black!

Toshiba A505-S6025 $799
Link
-Intel® Core™ i3-330M processor
-Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
-16" TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
-12-cell lithium-ion battery
-Windows 7 Home Professional preloaded
-Multiformat media reader
-NVIDIA GeForce GT 310M graphics
-4GB DDR3 memory
-500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
-Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN
-USB charge while computer is in sleep mode!

Both have some good features I like. I love the color of the Samsung, that it has blue-ray, i5, and Gigabit Ethernet LAN (although I have heard this feature doesn't matter much). With the Toshiba, I love the long battery life (over 5 hours), you can charge while asleep, the screen size (but not much difference), the keyboard I think I liked a little more, and it has Windows Professional.

The blue-ray, I could live without. Don't watch them anyway (but don't have the option too currently). Really want a laptop that's not just black, and i5 seems a lot better than i3.

When I'm at home, the laptop will/can be hooked up to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Next month I do plan to be on the road for a few months, so the long battery life would be great (although it is 3 pounds heavier with it), and the charging while sleeping... although having the outlet charger makes that unneeded.

Two Concerns:
-BB doesn't mention the Battery Life on the website of the Samsung, says it hasn't been tested. In the store it was listed as up to 4 hours. 1 reviewer complained it lasted 1 hour 45 minutes, no other reviews mention battery life. So while doing nothing heavy, how long should a 6 cell in this set up last? Guesses? 2-3 hours?

-LED-backlit high-definition display vs TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display. I think the LED backlit could be worse for viewing? Could have just been the light angels, but I thought it was getting more glare than the LCD (but it might use less battery?).

Uses: I don't actually plan to do any heavy or intense gaming. Maybe not even light gaming (maybe Second Life at some point), I do websign. Virtual server on the HD for quicker editing, lots of windows/tabs open in firefox (sometimes I'll have other browsers open too, to see how the edits look in each), AIM, and sometimes fireworks for artwork. I don't do any 3D heavy stuff though.

Hmmm... I'm leaning towards the Samsung with i5, should last longer. Nice color. But battery? The screen? Oh yeah, no memory stick, but I believe it takes SD cards, only ones I use.

Both fit in my budget, if someone knows something else that could fit the above, go ahead and mention it, if is a nice color too, LOL.

(Edit: Since both go up to N in wireless, I'm assuming they should have about the same wi-fi ability? That will be important)

harp

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I answered my own question (well going back in to BB helped too).

Going with the Samsung.

It has a feature where you can charge with a USB while in standby or the computer is off. The screen is good, I had been standing over it from a bad angle. And the power saving options seemed good and I wouldn't be gaming on the road, so should easily manage 3 hours.

Figure I'll just leave this for anyone else with a similar question on these machines.

jorgeocampo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I also went with Samsung R580. I returned Sony Vaio, as well as a Lenovo. And also seriously considered that same Toshiba. But as long as this laptop USB charge works, I will keep it. Best of all for the price!

djb2

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Hi,

My wife and I were looking at the Sony Vaio at BB vs the Samsung R580, can I ask what made you take the Sony back? Thanks!

harp

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I actually ended up with the Samsung R780. At the time I made the above post, the R780 was sold out. Bought the R580, then the R780 came available so I exchanged. Love that BB lets you do that, within 14 days.

R780 pretty much the same, but better graphics card, bigger screen, think the keyboard is a little bigger too. Doesn't weight much either. The battery on it, while powering a cooling fan and just surfing the web using word, lasted about 2 and a half hours. So definitely shouldn't be a problem for travel, unless you plan to watch DVD's on a cross country flight. Best of all, it costs less than the R580! :ouch:

jorgeocampo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

I only went with the r580 because it had the chargable USB while powered off. The Sony did not. And the Sony had alot of overhead programs that were useless. That said, I took back the first r580 due to the USB chargable feature not working. I created a ticket with Samsung, but since I was in the 14 day range, I returned it for the one I have now.

I will also look into the r780. Thanks.

MaryQuiteContrary

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I am having the same battle. Do I buy theR580 with the terribly short battery life ( with no option to buy a better battery since samsung doesnt offer one) or the Toshiba with the WIDI and back lit keyboard. I admit I love the back lit keyboard! The Toshiba only got 3.7 customer ratings while the R580 got 4.9. The Toshiba seemed like it had a flexible keyboard and the left and right buttons for the touchpad were wicked hard to press. I played around with it for 30 minutes in the store and I could get use to the stiff hard to press buttons. Keyboard was fine. Ironically, the Samsung's left and right button was so thin I had a hard time getting my finger to click on that too. Its flush so you cant use your thumbs at all. It seemed like the touchpad was a little weird too but those are all adjustments that will come with using either laptop.

Ideally- I want to use the computer for editing large raw photo files. I'll use fastone & photoshop and maybe lightbox to file and store and tag pictures. I NEED a crisp screen with good color. Bright screen/ sharp images and rich color.. I wanted to stay in the $800 or less range if at all possible!. I also will use it for internet, facebook and writing. No Heavy gaming but that option (Nvidia card ion the Samsung) is a good feature since I do have kids who might like to do that on trips. ???(They have their own laptops) I dont need Blu Ray or the Widi features but if I am getting the most bang for the buck- I mind as well get the i5 processor and the Blue Ray and the Widi are along for the ride. Best Buy is currently offering a free XBOX 360 with the Toshiba purchase. They are also tossing in 2 yrs of antivirus and the $99 WIDI box that attaches to your TV for the wireless streaming of video al for $899. EVERYONE on the customer review complained the WiDi didnt work very well! It seems like BB is trying pretty hard to get rid of the Toshiba to make way for the next Blue Label package deal they will feature ( end of June or August release). So I have a lot of hesitations to buy the Toshiba. I like the battery life and the back lit keyboard though. The Samsung seems better but the short battery scares me. Ideally I would like to be able to carry a laptop to a coffee shop or something once in awhile and spend a few hours there...or travel and use it in an airport without breaking out the plug and cords.
Does anyone have a better suggestion? I know I want the i3 or the i5 4GB/500 since those are the latest and greatests. Dont want to buy into old technology or get inferior technology. I want something that runs fast, stays pretty cool, and will last me a few years. I love the MacBookPro- but I dont know about the OS/iWorks/Bootcamp stuff-- seems like a big hassle to me. Also how is it that the MACs use core 2 duo, have less memory, not great graphics cards, but have a great battery life and super high price? I admit they look amazing. love the aluminum case. very cool and I would consider this since BB is offering 18 mo no interest!!! I would have 14 days to try it out at home and take it back if I cant deal..... what other PCs have long battery life and would be great for photo editing?

I need someone who can offer good suggestions---- IamWilson@aol.com if anyone wants to email me. THANKS SOOOO MUCH!!!!!

harp

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

When I tested the R780, and the battery on it lasted about 2 and a half hours when powering a cooler fan too. I only used word and surfed the web during the test. Did the same test on the R580, before I returned it for the R780, and it got close to three hours. So battery seemed fine, granted I wasn't doing much stuff with it, just a little from time to time, and I was keeping it from going to sleep.

R780, I think they upped the price a bit now, but still goes for under 900 and it can play GTA IV, so should be able to handle what you want it to do. No idea on the R580.

Status
Not open for further replies.