XP crashes Heroes of Might & Magic 3.... need help plz!

After I installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3 on my laptop with XP
Professional, an error immediately comes up telling me that the resolution of
the program is too low for Windows XP to handle... what is wrong here? This
same error appears upon running the original Half-Life.

System Specs:
Dell Latitude D600
Windows XP professional SP2
Pentium M 1.8GHz
512MB RAM
Mobility Radeon 9000

HoMM3 shortcut settings:

1400x1050 on MOBILITY RADEON 9000
Compatibility -
Run in Windows 98/ME
Run in 640x480 screen resolution

Hi,

I suggest you try running those with your desktop set to a 1024x768 resolution.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"4th3ist4ng3l" <4th3ist4ng3l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBD0AFEB-0394-4D38-A6FD-B62AEE49F021@microsoft.com...
| After I installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3 on my laptop with XP
| Professional, an error immediately comes up telling me that the resolution of
| the program is too low for Windows XP to handle... what is wrong here? This
| same error appears upon running the original Half-Life.
|
| System Specs:
| Dell Latitude D600
| Windows XP professional SP2
| Pentium M 1.8GHz
| 512MB RAM
| Mobility Radeon 9000
|
| HoMM3 shortcut settings:
|
| 1400x1050 on MOBILITY RADEON 9000
| Compatibility -
| Run in Windows 98/ME
| Run in 640x480 screen resolution

The game runs fine for me on XP SP1 with a Radeon 9800 Pro. My
standard desktop resolution is 1600x1200. So I imagine that it's
something specific to that mobility card's drivers.

Try going to Display Properties \ Settings \ Advanced \ Adapter \ List
All Modes and see if 640x480x256 colour modes are listed there. They
are for me. If not, then try a driver update, and if that doesn't
work, maybe try getting support from Dell.

For Half-Life, I imagine that you should be able to change the
configuration file manually to start at a higher resolution.
Unfortunately that won't work for Heroes.

Eyal