Nice screen and good battery life possible?

Tags:
November 13, 2004 12:42:57 AM

I use a PDA almost exclusively for reading eBooks. Currently I use a
Handspring Visor Deluxe with MemPlug attachment for reading books from
memory cards. With this I can get 10+ hours use out a set of rechargeable
batteries, then swap for another set if needed. I can even back it up onto
the memory card and restore if the batteries do run right down.

I seriously like the look of the higher-res screens, and the idea of a
virtual graffiti area I can turn off (as I never actually type into it
anyway). But all the modern PDAs seem to have built-in batteries and battery
life of 4-5 hours if you are lucky. That's no good for a plane ride.

What I'm looking for is:

1) Long battery life, ideally at least 10 hours if not more
2) Higher res screen (ideally 320x480), don't need colour
3) (maybe, not essential) Physically larger screen (like the T3 with its pull-out bit)
4) Ability to read some sort of memory card (maybe not needed if at least
64Mb of base memory)
5) Palm devices preferred due to familiarity, but not essential.

Not interesting in WiFi, Bluetooth or any other modern fad.

Is there anything out there that fits my requirements, or should I stick
with the old-tech?
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 12:42:58 AM

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 1:53:12 AM

In article <B7ald.4343924$ic1.417582@news.easynews.com>, Paul Murray
<paul@murray.net> wrote:

> I use a PDA almost exclusively for reading eBooks. Currently I use a
> Handspring Visor Deluxe with MemPlug attachment for reading books from
> memory cards. With this I can get 10+ hours use out a set of rechargeable
> batteries, then swap for another set if needed. I can even back it up onto
> the memory card and restore if the batteries do run right down.

You can try a back-up battery that plugs either into the Universal
Connector or the power port of those devices with a UC. They run about
$30.
November 13, 2004 2:26:22 AM

Paul Murray wrote:

> What I'm looking for is:
>
> 1) Long battery life, ideally at least 10 hours if not more

Can happen with battery sled, as others have mentioned. Unlikely
with built-in battery, because (a) larger screens and color
screens take more power, and (b) devices with rechargeable batteries
tend to have shorter life because for typical users it's less of a
pain to recharge than it is to buy new batteries.

> 2) Higher res screen (ideally 320x480), don't need colour

320x480, yes. But not having color? Not gonna happen, even on
non-Palm devices. (The Pocket PC standard even *requires* color.)

> 3) (maybe, not essential) Physically larger screen (like the T3 with its pull-out bit)

Physically larger than the Handspring you say you have now? That'd be
the T3 or the T5.

> 4) Ability to read some sort of memory card (maybe not needed if at least
> 64Mb of base memory)

Virtually all Palm devices and all the competition will have an SD Card
slot. 64 MB is sort of the new minimum for RAM or some kind of built-in
storage.

> 5) Palm devices preferred due to familiarity, but not essential.

Probably neither Palm nor non-Palm devices is going to be overwhelmingly
better than the other at satisfying the items on the list. That is,
unless some device comes out that has some screen technology beside
LCD, which is possible but unlikely for now.

- Logan
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 3:27:14 AM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:26:22 GMT, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>Paul Murray wrote:
>
>> What I'm looking for is:
>>
>> 1) Long battery life, ideally at least 10 hours if not more
>
>Can happen with battery sled, as others have mentioned. Unlikely
>with built-in battery, because (a) larger screens and color
>screens take more power, and (b) devices with rechargeable batteries
>tend to have shorter life because for typical users it's less of a
>pain to recharge than it is to buy new batteries.
>
>> 2) Higher res screen (ideally 320x480), don't need colour
>
>320x480, yes. But not having color? Not gonna happen, even on
>non-Palm devices. (The Pocket PC standard even *requires* color.)
>
>> 3) (maybe, not essential) Physically larger screen (like the T3 with its pull-out bit)
>
>Physically larger than the Handspring you say you have now? That'd be
>the T3 or the T5.
>
>> 4) Ability to read some sort of memory card (maybe not needed if at least
>> 64Mb of base memory)
>
>Virtually all Palm devices and all the competition will have an SD Card
>slot. 64 MB is sort of the new minimum for RAM or some kind of built-in
>storage.
>
>> 5) Palm devices preferred due to familiarity, but not essential.
>
>Probably neither Palm nor non-Palm devices is going to be overwhelmingly
>better than the other at satisfying the items on the list. That is,
>unless some device comes out that has some screen technology beside
>LCD, which is possible but unlikely for now.

If you can still get a Sony Clie TH-55, that's exactly what you are
looking for. It has a variable speed processor, so has by far the best
battery life of any OS 5 color Palm OS machine. 320 x 480 screen,
takes memory sticks.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

<paul@murray.net> wrote:

> I use a PDA almost exclusively for reading eBooks. Currently I use a
> Handspring Visor Deluxe with MemPlug attachment for reading books from
> memory cards. With this I can get 10+ hours use out a set of rechargeable
> batteries, then swap for another set if needed. I can even back it up onto
> the memory card and restore if the batteries do run right down.
>
> I seriously like the look of the higher-res screens, and the idea of a
> virtual graffiti area I can turn off (as I never actually type into it
> anyway). But all the modern PDAs seem to have built-in batteries and battery
> life of 4-5 hours if you are lucky. That's no good for a plane ride.
>
> What I'm looking for is:
>
> 1) Long battery life, ideally at least 10 hours if not more
> 2) Higher res screen (ideally 320x480), don't need colour
> 3) (maybe, not essential) Physically larger screen (like the T3 with its
> pull-out bit)
> 4) Ability to read some sort of memory card (maybe not needed if at least
> 64Mb of base memory)
> 5) Palm devices preferred due to familiarity, but not essential.
>
> Not interesting in WiFi, Bluetooth or any other modern fad.
>
> Is there anything out there that fits my requirements, or should I stick
> with the old-tech?

A few weeks ago someone posted the message (in response to a similar
question) to run rather than walk, and get a Sony Clie TH55 before they
were gone. It piqued my curiosity, so I ambled out to have a look.

I have now replaced my Clie NR70V (with which I was quite content) with
a TH55.

Seriously, if you have not had a look at this machine, then do so
quickly. It¹s battery life is quite amazing for what it does, and it¹s
screen is beautiful. The entire device sits very comfortably in my
hand, is light and small. I had no reason to upgrade at all, until I
saw it, and then had to find a reason...
November 13, 2004 4:22:44 PM

"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message news:r5lap0ph9ho760a00r3brvlk2q0suqpuvg@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:26:22 GMT, Logan Shaw
> <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
> If you can still get a Sony Clie TH-55, that's exactly what you are
> looking for. It has a variable speed processor, so has by far the best
> battery life of any OS 5 color Palm OS machine. 320 x 480 screen,
> takes memory sticks.

Agreed. The TH55 is stuffed full with pretty much every "modern fad"
(Paul's words) that he said he didn't want but don't let that put you
(Paul) off. The TH55 is the best choice for ebook reading. When I am
only reading ebooks I can get over 16 hours use off a charge. If I use
my "modern fads" like wireless a bit then the battery life drops down
to about 12-14 hours between charges.

- Julian
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 7:27:38 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:22:44 GMT, "Julian" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message news:r5lap0ph9ho760a00r3brvlk2q0suqpuvg@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:26:22 GMT, Logan Shaw
>> <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you can still get a Sony Clie TH-55, that's exactly what you are
>> looking for. It has a variable speed processor, so has by far the best
>> battery life of any OS 5 color Palm OS machine. 320 x 480 screen,
>> takes memory sticks.
>
>Agreed. The TH55 is stuffed full with pretty much every "modern fad"
>(Paul's words) that he said he didn't want but don't let that put you
>(Paul) off. The TH55 is the best choice for ebook reading. When I am
>only reading ebooks I can get over 16 hours use off a charge. If I use
>my "modern fads" like wireless a bit then the battery life drops down
>to about 12-14 hours between charges.

I love it for e-book reading. Even though development appears to have
stopped, the public beta of version 1.1 of DeepReader works better on
my TH-55 than it did on the old NR-70. There's still nothing to touch
DeepReader in terms of display:
http://www.rzanerutledge.com/deepreader/
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 6:55:13 PM

In article <2vkse7F2mfjn0U1@uni-berlin.de>, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
> It sounds like you want a Tungsten|T3 with longer battery life. I
> carry a couple of Power-to-Go sleds with me and I have plenty of
> battery life.

Are these the things you put a couple of AA batteries into, then connect to
the USB port on the handheld? How well do they work, and how long could you
run the T-3 off one set of AAs?
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 6:55:14 PM

Paul Murray <paul@murray.net> wrote:
>C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>> It sounds like you want a Tungsten|T3 with longer battery life. I
>> carry a couple of Power-to-Go sleds with me and I have plenty of
>> battery life.

>Are these the things you put a couple of AA batteries into, then connect to

Nope, they are rechargeable battery packs that clip onto the back of
your Universal Connector Palm. They are worth about 3 battery
charges. They recharge your Palm and/or keep it topped up.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:00:32 PM

In article <EUnld.27279$Q7.18520@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Julian wrote:
> "Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message news:r5lap0ph9ho760a00r3brvlk2q0suqpuvg@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:26:22 GMT, Logan Shaw
>> <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> If you can still get a Sony Clie TH-55, that's exactly what you are
>> looking for. It has a variable speed processor, so has by far the best
>> battery life of any OS 5 color Palm OS machine. 320 x 480 screen,
>> takes memory sticks.
> Agreed. The TH55 is stuffed full with pretty much every "modern fad"
> (Paul's words) that he said he didn't want but don't let that put you
> (Paul) off. The TH55 is the best choice for ebook reading. When I am
> only reading ebooks I can get over 16 hours use off a charge. If I use
> my "modern fads" like wireless a bit then the battery life drops down
> to about 12-14 hours between charges.

It does sound ideal, but I'm not sure where I'm going to be able to get hold
of one for a reasonable price.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:22:12 PM

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 5:51:50 PM

In article <2vq7l5F2mog28U1@uni-berlin.de>, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
> Paul Murray wrote:
>> In article <2vkse7F2mfjn0U1@uni-berlin.de>, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>>>It sounds like you want a Tungsten|T3 with longer battery life. I
>>>carry a couple of Power-to-Go sleds with me and I have plenty of
>>>battery life.
>> Are these the things you put a couple of AA batteries into, then connect to
>> the USB port on the handheld? How well do they work, and how long could you
>> run the T-3 off one set of AAs?
> The Power-to-Go sleds contain rechargeable cells. To recharge them,
> just put them in your cradle and your good to go. You can even
> charge the sled while you are charging your Palm.

Ah, gotcha.
How well do these work with the sliding tray on the T3?
Do you keep the bottom bit in place and slide the rest of the PDA up?
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:19:38 PM

Paul Murray wrote:
> In article <2vq7l5F2mog28U1@uni-berlin.de>, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

>>The Power-to-Go sleds contain rechargeable cells. To recharge them,
>>just put them in your cradle and your good to go. You can even
>>charge the sled while you are charging your Palm.
>

> Ah, gotcha.
> How well do these work with the sliding tray on the T3?
> Do you keep the bottom bit in place and slide the rest of the PDA up?

Yes. It works very well with the T3, you just use the T3 as if the PTG wasn't
there. Well worth the price IMO.

Glenn.
!