System Recovery

Tags:
  • System Recovery
  • Windows XP
August 27, 2005 2:48:07 PM

I am having to perform a system recovery due to when trying to install a
printer driver the error message "cannot copy file to destination" keeps
appearing despite using the orginal cd and using the recent download from the
printer manu website.

However my internet settings are my worry as last time I performed a system
recovery I had great difficulty in re-setting them as I have a wireless
network.

Is there anyway I can "copy/save" my settings to make life easy ?

Thanks

More about : system recovery

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:37:22 PM

Hi,

There's no practical way to save your current wireless settings, nor should
a System Restore disrupt them. If you are referring to a destructive System
Recovery, where everything is restarted from scratch, then that should
hardly be necessary when all you have is a file write problem. I would first
run through the troubleshooting steps linked below, and also make sure that
the user account being accessed for the installation has sufficient
privileges to write to the destination folder.

Resolving problems with the Windows installer:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Installation

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"MEGJO" <MEGJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having to perform a system recovery due to when trying to install a
> printer driver the error message "cannot copy file to destination" keeps
> appearing despite using the orginal cd and using the recent download from
> the
> printer manu website.
>
> However my internet settings are my worry as last time I performed a
> system
> recovery I had great difficulty in re-setting them as I have a wireless
> network.
>
> Is there anyway I can "copy/save" my settings to make life easy ?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 4:02:19 PM

"MEGJO" <MEGJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am having to perform a system recovery due to when trying to install a
>printer driver the error message "cannot copy file to destination" keeps
>appearing despite using the orginal cd and using the recent download from the
>printer manu website.
>
>However my internet settings are my worry as last time I performed a system
>recovery I had great difficulty in re-setting them as I have a wireless
>network.
>
>Is there anyway I can "copy/save" my settings to make life easy ?
>
>Thanks

Do you have a CDRW or DVDRW drive in the computer?
Do you have another computer on the network with available hard drive
space to save your data & settings?

Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP
(in Accessories - System Tools on the Start Menu). Create a new
folder named \Transfer on the hard drive and tell FASTW to save the
information in that folder.

When it has finished you can burn the entire \Transfer folder (not
just the contents, but the folder itself plus the contents) to a CD or
DVD, or copy it to an available drive on another computer on your
network.

After you have done the "System Recovery" you can run the FASTW again
to import your saved data and settings back into your computer. Make
sure you use the same User Name after the System Recovery.

Note: I agree with Rick. Using the System Recovery process is the
equivalent of Capital Punishment and should be reserved for only the
most extreme circumstances and only after all other options have been
fully explored.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--