Why are people "fanboys"?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Why exactly? I own both Intel and AMD systems and they are both great at what they do. I never bothered to benchmark them to see which is better, I don't actually care. So why all the stupid Intel vs. AMD posts? Why all the fanboys? Why can't people face up to reality, that between two competing teams, one will always be better that the other - but not always the same one. Would you prefer Ferrari to win F1 for the next 100 years or is it so difficult to understand that the fact McLaren also win is a <b>good</b> thing?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
its just rooting for your favorite team, its really stupid if you think about it. rooting for a football team, yea thats cool, they compete to win. rooting for companys is just retarded, if one company wins all the time the customer loses.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I have 4 systems at my home. 3 of them are Socke A AMD Athlon based. The 4ths is my Pentium 4 laptop. I am well pleased with the performance of ALL of them. I don't think just because 3/4 of the systems are AMD doesn't make me 3/4 of an AMD Fanboy, regardless of whether I beleive AMD <i>generally</i> offers better value price/performancewise.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

endyen

Splendid
I am not so much a fanboy as pi$$ed at intel. I have yet to truly forgive them for going proprietary on the socket. I got caught in the hype over the P4 willy and was majorly disapointed. It is also hard for me to justify the extra expense of thier platform. Sure the 2.4c is faster than my xp2500 but 45% more $. That exta hundred gave me a better video card.

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
It's basically through bordom, we all sit here doing what we do and check these post now and again, if there are no good posts we have a civil debate over absolutly nothing, like mathamatics...

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
That name "P6" rings back a buzzword in my head. Could somoeone refresh me on what the "P6 architecture" was?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It was AMD that went proprietary on the socket. Intel had Socket 7, AMD had Socket 7 (as did Cyrix, IDT, etc). Intel had Slot 1, AMD had...Slot A.

Why would anyone be pissed off about Socket 423? Intel announced to everyone it was a transition socket and wouldn't be around long, before they actually released it! And places like THG tested the Willy 1.4, said it was slower than the PIII 1000, required expensive RDRAM, was a temporary platform, and was therefore a poor investment.

So it's your own fault if you got roped into buying one.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Pentium Pro, which was the 6th family of x86 processors. The same core was used in the Pentium II, with slower cache and minor revisions.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
You are starting to loose it Mr. Crashman. The P11 chip came out on the slot one which intel declared proprietary. At the time, Amd continued to use the socket 7 format through the K6-2 & 3 chips. Intel is the one who said they wouldn't share. As for the Willy, I didn't buy one, I just dreamed about them until thier release. They were supposed to save the world.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually AMD wouldn't pay Intel for a bus license. Kind of like VIA. Socket 7 was just as "proprietary" as Slot 1, both were Intel property.

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
actually... AMD sued INTEL and won the right to use socket 7 and its variants

however AMD was not allowed to use any new INTEL sockets/slots from that point on as part of the agreement

thats why AMD could not use slot-1 when the p2 was born and had to make its own slot.

CYRIX on the other hand was allowed to use INTELS sockets after socket 7....

endyen

Splendid
Actually amd won the right to use any socket format, so intel made up some lie about cache, and patented a slot format. That's why I cant put an intel chip on my nforce board, cause intel wont share.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
lol they wount share. You mean they dont want their silicon in some shitty ass unstable waste of space slow ass chipsets. Damn them damn them to hell!!!

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1400777" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

eden

Champion
In addition to what Crash said, the P6 extended from the P PRO all the way to the Pentium III Tualatin.

P5 was the Pentium if I am not mistaken. And P7 is the Pentium4.

Now, as for why Pentium 5 is wrong:
-It's a pleonasm! It's like saying: "I am climbing UP", I am descending DOWN". Pentium which means 5, and 5 is five. "Five 5" ?
-P5 is short of Pentium 5, some would say, no?
NO! LOL, P5 is the P5 core. So it'd be a bit confusing refering to the P5 core when not talking about Pentium 5, which is a redundancy in itself.
It's 2 damn problems of repetitiveness, that Pentium 5 will do soon.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The C3 is on a stolen bus, VIA claimed rights by purchase of S3 or something, I'm not sure why S3 has a bus license byt I know for sure it didn't include processors. That's why Intel licensed the P4 bus to EVERYONE who wanted it EXCEPT VIA!

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
IMO fanboys of X see how X makes the perfect system and can't understand how stupid you can be to use Y. Another option is that people like the underdog, and that's even dumber.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
thats why AMD could not use slot-1 when the p2 was born and had to make its own slot.

I believe that AMD did did not use its own slot/socket (Slot A) until the P3 had shown up around the corner back then.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
lol they wount share. You mean they dont want their silicon in some shitty ass unstable waste of space slow ass chipsets. Damn them damn them to hell!!!
I doubt this is the case. There have been times where an AMD/Via platform was the best that money could buy back around Palamino. As far as stability, Via has improved GREATLY. I think your reply was to someone who was talking about "NForce" chipset & not "Via". Nvidia has a pretty good trackrecord now for Fast & reliable AMD mobo chipsets. Intel hasn't had problems deciding to go with Nvidia in the past. Look at X-BOX. I know, Nvidia didn't make the CPU chipset, but it indicates that Intel has trust in Nvidia's products.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Ok the P<b>6</b> is basically the same "<b>6</b>" as in the "<b>6</b>86". Thanks for clearing that up. Now as far as being plagued witht the Pentium 5 problem, that could get quite confusing. Especially three years from now somebody will come in here saying, "My old P5 was faster that Hammer chip" theoretically of course. It sound like they're saying their old Pentium 233MMX could give the K8 a good-sized whooping.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by UFO_WARVIPER on 09/08/03 10:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
LOL, but the P5, IIRC is not a Pentium MMX.

We need Crash on this one.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>