Sign in with
Your question

CPU Failure

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a c 100 à CPUs
September 7, 2003 7:08:57 PM

What are some of the classic symptoms of CPU failure?

The main reason I'm asking this question is that I've got a friend, that in a two year time period, he regularly had different symtomatic problems with his PC, resulting in RAM being replaced twice, motherboard once, hardrive once. The CPU was a PIII 1Gig FCPGA, now progressively as problems arose, RAM was replaced that for a while solved the problem, then it returned, then hardrive tested bad was replaced, problem solved, couple of months later, problems return M/B replaced, PC seems fine for a couple of months, then repeated more problems, even changed P/S once. I was so frustrated with this PC after two years of fussing with it, I wanted the satisfaction of throwing the thing in the nearest river, I literally gave him an AMD XP 1900+ w a stick of 512Mb PC2100 RAM, stipulating that he purchase a M/B for it at his expense, put a machine together for him with that setup, which he's not had any trouble with at all since. I know that PC repair is basically a trial and error, test what you can, swap out this and that, to eliminate the problem part, which I now believe the entire time was the CPU causing this trouble. My main question here is, is it possible for a CPU to cause other parts to fail or malfunction to the point of needing to be replaced. I have built and repaired so many PCs I've lost count a long time ago, but this particular problem child PC has always nagged at my curiosity, as to the whys of its constant failures, which by the way I have the CPU in my possesion, I haven't decided whether to frame the thing and hang it on the wall, or take a sledgehammer to it for the sheer satisfaction.

PS The hardrive that tested bad using the PIII setup, tested good with the AMD setup, shocked the crap out of me, made no sense whatsoever, Go Figure!

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

More about : cpu failure

September 7, 2003 8:35:07 PM

Way too often, the PSU is the least suspected component we'll look at it, but I bet this was the case.

If you tried the step-by-step removal of parts as in: "remove Sound card, test system, stable, if not, put it back, remove vid card, etc." or even combined step-by-step hardware removal as in "Remove both Snd Card and Network Cards" to see who conflicts with who, and still had problems, my bet is power problems.

His PSU is likely creating problematic current, which in turn caused a lot of electrical problems with the mobo and its regulators, making all parts work fuzzy after a while of usage (wearing out the regulators). It often also is because the place has bad electrical plug feed. I know I have, I now use a UPS for both protection from black-outs and power regulation.

I don't believe a CPU can screw up everything. They don't really set the power regulation, the mobo does, if I am not mistaken.

Out of curiosity,
Quote:
What are some of the classic symptoms of CPU failure

is "CPU failure" the real topic and term appropriate to what you were experiencing?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>
September 7, 2003 8:39:01 PM

I would agree with you eden if he hadn't replaced the power supply already. Then again maybe he had two faulty supplies.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
Related resources
September 7, 2003 8:40:11 PM

But did he say that in his post?
I might have skipped the sentence, but upon searching, I didn't find any trace of PSU switching.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>
September 7, 2003 8:55:08 PM

It may be lives in an area of frequent power surges, this can be either through lightning, storms cutting out power, bad wiring in the house or just the random surges that are seen comming through the lines. If he hasn't had any problem since then the problem may be from more of a domino effect on his pc. If a component gets damaged it can effect other components which turn around and damage the replaced ones. Its not uncommon for a burnt out cpu to damage a mobo and vise versa so when a replacement part is put in the system it thus dies or wont work properly. It is a good idea to get components tested in a situation like this to save problems like your friend had even if it costs a little.

a c 100 à CPUs
September 7, 2003 8:55:27 PM

Quote:
is "CPU failure" the real topic and term appropriate to what you were experiencing?

Actually its what I experienced, and my curiosities have arisen, from placing the same CPU in a third M/B, as an attempted upgrade in a machine with no known problems at all, and immediate problems arising from the changing of the CPU, pretty much nailing down the CPU as definitely defective, and removing it and restoring the good CPU before damage could occur.

Quote:
His PSU is likely creating problematic current, which in turn caused a lot of electrical problems with the mobo and its regulators, making all parts work fuzzy after a while of usage (wearing out the regulators).

That was possible but the P/S was replaced, are you saying the damage was already done, to the CPU, M/B, RAM, and Hardrive? Which may have been the case, but M/B and RAM were replaced after the P/S was replaced.

Really Eden, this particular PC was a repairmans nightmare, it was the PC from Hell, literally.

Can you explain the PS, In the original post?

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
a c 100 à CPUs
September 7, 2003 9:11:15 PM

Quote:
It may be lives in an area of frequent power surges, this can be either through lightning, storms cutting out power, bad wiring in the house or just the random surges that are seen comming through the lines.

Thats a good catch on your part, actually we had the Power Company come to his house and test his lines, they gave his power applications a clean bill of health, of course they only did an onsite test, they didn't leave a monitor on his line for 24 hrs to test for fluctuations and spikes, like they do for some customers, which was what I'd hoped they'd do.

Quote:
If a component gets damaged it can effect other components which turn around and damage the replaced ones. Its not uncommon for a burnt out cpu to damage a mobo

Thats my main curiosity, but how can it damage the other parts, doesn't the M/Bs chipset control the voltage flow to the other components, or is the voltage flow controled by the CPU through the chipset to the other components?

September 7, 2003 9:42:09 PM

I'm not to sure of the specifics on voltage flow. I'll have a look for a post i recently read that had some relevence to this.

September 7, 2003 9:53:12 PM

Couldn't find the post but i think it was UFO warviper that had some info on this, get a hold of him and he'll probably be able to help better.

September 7, 2003 10:18:25 PM

Hmm if you did try on different mainboards, then your case does surprise me. It COULD be the first PSU damaged the CPU's capacitors and resistors, and since then it became pretty viral as a component.

Quote:
Can you explain the PS, In the original post?

?

--
a c 100 à CPUs
September 7, 2003 11:32:32 PM

That sounds logical

September 8, 2003 1:42:46 AM

Damn I am confused today! :eek: 

I still didn't get though what you meant when you asked me about the PS in what first post?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 09/07/03 09:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 8, 2003 2:33:52 AM

Normally the first thing to go on a cpu is the cache...it would lead to instabilities...but not mobo dammage...

Seems like you have tried many mobos? Make sure none of them had bloated or burnt capacitors...

I assume this is a coppermine piii with 133mhz fsb?

If all else fails...find the scode and go to intels website...see if they have any odd errata about it...

Also has there been any overclocking on this chip? Intel says their chips should last 15 years...

Just for good measure...download memtest and run it...it also checks the cpus cache...might be useful...

If all of that is to no avail send the cpu to me :smile:

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
a c 100 à CPUs
September 8, 2003 4:30:41 AM

Quote:
PS The hardrive that tested bad using the PIII setup, tested good with the AMD setup, shocked the crap out of me, made no sense whatsoever, Go Figure!

This PS

a c 100 à CPUs
September 8, 2003 4:33:41 AM

Quote:
I assume this is a coppermine piii with 133mhz fsb?

Thats Right.

And the CPU was never overclocked.

September 8, 2003 7:30:01 AM

The harddrive failure on one system but not on another may be a clue. You may have had a bad ata cable. An intermitant short on this could have slowly damaged the cpu, hdd, psu and mobo.
a c 100 à CPUs
September 8, 2003 12:36:42 PM

You're probably right, the original P/S was one he bought that had come with his case, and you know most off brand cases come with a cheap P/S, its amazing that the generally most taken for granted item like the P/S, could end up being the system killer, and cause you to loose everything.

September 9, 2003 2:54:08 AM

Yeah that was what I was thinking as well. Indeed, PSUs are innocent components. In fact they have been found to cause the most problems with GFX Cards and no one would ever know. We may think they provide the power necessary, but no one knows what kind of current and voltage flux is beind provided really.

It's a real problem with modern computers, getting such things. It's annoying as heck. It's a good thing btw we are moving to more integrated components and less PCI slot cards. That allows even faster troubleshooting.
I may be wrong though, I guess instead of PCI card removal when diagnosing, Integrated card disabling may be the next norm for troubleshooting. :eek:  Oy!

--
September 9, 2003 4:41:12 AM

Are there any girls on these forums

September 9, 2003 4:53:20 AM

Whats the difference btween an honorary fixture and an honorary resident , actually what is the whole order of em all and how long does it take to move to the next?

September 9, 2003 5:29:55 AM

wooooooooooo someone needs to read the faq!

And yes there are some chicks on the forum...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
!