MN-700 crashes. :(

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 17, 2004 6:01:25 PM

Hello all! :)

I have an MN-700 here which has been crashing a pretty
good amount. I've woken up these past two mornings and my
computer is without connectivity. Overnight, the computer
generally has about 20k/sec of outbound traffic and
perhaps 10-100k/sec coming in. After somewhere between 3
and 24 hours of such activity, the router crashes. :(

After a loss of connectivity, the wireless adapter shows
that it is connected to the router with a fine signal
strength and the router's lights look normal. However, the
router just refuses all traffic (local and outbound). DHCP
fails and the router can't be pinged. If the computer is
reset, the card is able to reconnect to the router with a
decent signal strength, but can't grab an IP. (An
ipconfig /renew * without a reboot also fails.) The only
way that the router will come back alive is if it is
unplugged for 10-15 seconds or so.

I've seen a few posts regarding this issue so far, but
doesn't quite seem as if anyone has found a solution. :(

The MN-700 is hooked up to a cable modem and has been
updated with the latest firmware from July. (I'd updated
to see if it might stop the crashing, but it seems to
have - perhaps - made things a bit worse.)

Any help anyone might be able to provide would be greatly
appreciated! :)

Thanks very much,
Andy

More about : 700 crashes

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 6:29:19 PM

Whoops! :)

Forgot to mention that the device log shows nothing
unusual after a failure. :(

Thanks again,
Andy

August 21, 2004 3:07:34 PM

Hi, I 'solved' the issue in adding a watch to the power
plug that disconnects the MN-700 from power every 4
hours!

Something is very wrong with the device (and the part of
Microsofts test lab that is responsible for this) as many
people have this problem. Lets hope for a better
firmware...

Best regards, Alex

(

>>The MN-700 is hooked up to a cable modem and has been
>>updated with the latest firmware from July. (I'd
updated
>>to see if it might stop the crashing, but it seems to
>>have - perhaps - made things a bit worse.)
>>
>>Any help anyone might be able to provide would be
greatly
>>appreciated! :)
>>
>>Thanks very much,
>>Andy
>>.
>>
>.

August 24, 2004 10:29:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, kindly Alex! :)

My... it does seem as if something is very wrong with the
firmware. I hadn't imagined that it would do the trick,
but MS support ended up sending me a new MN-700. Plugged
in and configured, the same thing happens. It would seem
as if this applies to at least two (all?) firmware
releases, too. The original ones on both base stations
exhibited it, and the updated one (latest July firmware)
had exhibited it, as well.

I just got off of the phone with MS support, and they've
sent the case to an escalation engineer. I'll post here if
anything new comes up.

I've tried emailing the Neel from MS who'd posted in your
thread on Thursday - as well as hnbugs@microsoft.com on
Saturday or Sunday, - but haven't quite heard back yet.

Thanks again for the kind reply,
Andy

!