STTNG underfield ramp/tunnel cleaning.

mark

Less technical question this time on my Star Trek TNG-

The underfield ramp is very dirty and I'll like to clean it. After
some examination (without actually doing anything), it *looks* like if
I unplug a bunch of connectors for the various switches and solenoids
etc then I can get the ramp off with everything still attached to it by
undoing a lot less screws. Is that enough to clean it?

Can I do that or do I need to unbolt everything from the ramp before I
can remove it and clean it? Are there things on the playfield I need
to remove too?

Advice from anyone who has done this before much appreciated! My wife
isn't such a pinball person - she suggested tipping detergent down
through the neutral zone......

Mark

Took mine out to clean it. Lots of hardware, but it is not too bad.

Label the connectors and it goes back together faster...

Andrew

that's a good idea, (cleaning it, not pouring the soap down the neutral
zone!) because when it's dirty it brings all that dirt up onto your
nice clean playfield. Be careful when you get it out (you might have
to unscrew optos that are soldered in if they don't have connectors)
and label everything, the ramp isn't "fragile" but will break with all
the weight on it if you handle it wrong.

You need to disconnect a few connectors that lead to the solenoids and optos
on the subway ramp. You *may* need to remove one of the ball popper / lock
assemblies on the left bottom side of the playfield in order to get enough
clearance for the subway ramp to come out; the underside area is pretty
packed, and it's a little tough to get enough room to remove the ramp. The
popper / lock assemblies also have connectors, should you need to remove one.

Label all connectors with a sharpie before disconnecting; use a unique code
(letter of the alphabet) to keep them separate.

Once the ramp is removed you may decide you want to fully disassemble it in
order to thoroughly clean it. There's a metal bottom plate screwed to the
inside of the plastic ramp that also builds up a fair bit of dirt. IF you
decide to disassemble the ramp be SURE to mark the position of the two
diverter assemblies before you unscrew them; putting them back in exactly as
they were installed in critical for proper functioning of the subway ramp.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

In article <1121763664.427395.168020@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Mark"
<sttng@sunnucks.com> wrote:
>Less technical question this time on my Star Trek TNG-
>
>The underfield ramp is very dirty and I'll like to clean it. After
>some examination (without actually doing anything), it *looks* like if
>I unplug a bunch of connectors for the various switches and solenoids
>etc then I can get the ramp off with everything still attached to it by
>undoing a lot less screws. Is that enough to clean it?
>
>Can I do that or do I need to unbolt everything from the ramp before I
>can remove it and clean it? Are there things on the playfield I need
>to remove too?
>
>Advice from anyone who has done this before much appreciated! My wife
>isn't such a pinball person - she suggested tipping detergent down
>through the neutral zone......
>
>Mark

Hello

I cleaned mine just by removing the right cannon popper if i remember well

Pascal

"Mark" wrote:
> Less technical question this time on my Star Trek TNG-
>
> The underfield ramp is very dirty and I'll like to clean it. After
> some examination (without actually doing anything), it *looks* like if
> I unplug a bunch of connectors for the various switches and solenoids
> etc then I can get the ramp off with everything still attached to it by
> undoing a lot less screws. Is that enough to clean it?

The "spider" ramp under the STTNG playfield is typically a 2 hour shop job-
maybe 3 hours if you haven't done one before- and that's IF you want to do
it complete and properly. No easy/quick task on this unit.

Best advice is to either take digital pics as you disassemble, so you can
see how everything goes back together when you're done- or videotape it.
Pretty complex stuff under there.

Start at each ramp opening (from the top of the playfield) and remove
parts/cables as you work your way down. Lay all the parts out in order as
you take them off so you can find/identify them easily when reassembling.

> My wife
> isn't such a pinball person - she suggested tipping detergent down
> through the neutral zone......

You'll get minimal results with this- and a lot more mess than you already
have on your hands. And the 90% of the dirt that this method leaves behind
will quickly find its way back up onto the top playfield surface, dirtying
up your recent cleaning/polishing job.

Only one way to do it complete and do it right- dig in and get your hands
dirty! Good luck!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC