PC problem - Need help

I have a Gateway PC 800MHz P3 inside....'and a problem maybe.

Every time I press the button on the base to turn the machine ON, the light
on the front comes on and it makes the usual sounds, but after 2 or 3
seconds, it switches itself OFF.

It just keeps doing this until I take the plug out at the back for app., 10
seconds and re-insert it.
Then it does the same routine as described all over again.

Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks.
Geo.

Weird! It all seems to be working fine now (I hope!), but all I did was to
follow the wires from the switch on the front of the base to where it plugs
into the mobo....'then I disconnected this plug for a few seconds and
re-connected it.
The PC fired up right away! Anyone have any explanations for me as to what
might have caused all this?
Is it significant in anyway? Would this indicate a fault?
Thanks.
Geo.

> Weird! It all seems to be working fine now (I hope!), but all I did
> was to follow the wires from the switch on the front of the base to
> where it plugs into the mobo....'then I disconnected this plug for a
> few seconds and re-connected it.
> The PC fired up right away! Anyone have any explanations for me as
> to what might have caused all this?
> Is it significant in anyway? Would this indicate a fault?
> Thanks.
> Geo.
>

> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have a Gateway PC 800MHz P3 inside....'and a problem maybe.
>>
>> Every time I press the button on the base to turn the machine ON,
>> the light
>> on the front comes on and it makes the usual sounds, but after 2 or
>> 3
>> seconds, it switches itself OFF.
>>
>> It just keeps doing this until I take the plug out at the back for
>> app., 10
>> seconds and re-insert it.
>> Then it does the same routine as described all over again.
>>
>> Can anyone help me with this?
>> Thanks.
>> Geo.

Hey Geo:

Your in the wrong newsgroup. you want news:alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway
not Packard Bell.
However it can be a simple wrong wiring from the switch to the
motherboard connections or part of the motherboard is touching metal
at the base and it is shorting out.

Elector

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Weird! It all seems to be working fine now (I hope!), but all I did was
>> to follow the wires from the switch on the front of the base to where it
>> plugs into the mobo....'then I disconnected this plug for a few seconds
>> and re-connected it.
>> The PC fired up right away! Anyone have any explanations for me as to
>> what might have caused all this?
>> Is it significant in anyway? Would this indicate a fault?
>> Thanks.
>> Geo.
>>

>> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I have a Gateway PC 800MHz P3 inside....'and a problem maybe.
>>>
>>> Every time I press the button on the base to turn the machine ON, the
>>> light
>>> on the front comes on and it makes the usual sounds, but after 2 or 3
>>> seconds, it switches itself OFF.
>>>
>>> It just keeps doing this until I take the plug out at the back for app.,
>>> 10
>>> seconds and re-insert it.
>>> Then it does the same routine as described all over again.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me with this?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Geo.
>

> Hey Geo:
>
> Your in the wrong newsgroup. you want news:alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway not
> Packard Bell.
> However it can be a simple wrong wiring from the switch to the motherboard
> connections or part of the motherboard is touching metal at the base and
> it is shorting out.
>
> Elector

Thanks Elector! I tend to go with 'your' explanation as all I did was
diconnected and reconnect the plug between mobo and front switch on the
base.

BTW....'I don't think the guys in the Gateway NG are talking to me! I did
post, but no replies.

Cheers.
Geo.

winston

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

> "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Weird! It all seems to be working fine now (I hope!), but all I did was
>>> to follow the wires from the switch on the front of the base to where it
>>> plugs into the mobo....'then I disconnected this plug for a few seconds
>>> and re-connected it.
>>> The PC fired up right away! Anyone have any explanations for me as to
>>> what might have caused all this?
>>> Is it significant in anyway? Would this indicate a fault?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Geo.
>>>

>>> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Hey Geo:
>>
>> Your in the wrong newsgroup. you want news:alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway not
>> Packard Bell.
>> However it can be a simple wrong wiring from the switch to the
>> motherboard connections or part of the motherboard is touching metal at
>> the base and it is shorting out.
>>
>> Elector
>>

> Thanks Elector! I tend to go with 'your' explanation as all I did was
> diconnected and reconnect the plug between mobo and front switch on the
> base.
>
> BTW....'I don't think the guys in the Gateway NG are talking to me! I did
> post, but no replies.
>
> Cheers.
> Geo.

Yes Geo. I believe Mr. Elector and Ken covered the full basis of your
problem.
On many systems the power supply could be as Ken stated (on its way out).
This of course will depend on how old or how under utilized the computer is.

As Mr. Elector & Ken stated, there could also be a metal on metal situation
that can cause that short. The suggestion of the power plugs being loose or
the wire frayed could also be a major point of looking into. On the
motherboard as Mr. Elector stated the pins and the cable could have been
loose and your reseating them fixed your situation.

I know that Elector and Ken did not mind assisting you in this group.
Have a Happy Holiday..!

W.

"Winston" <winston@dsn.security.net> wrote in message

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Weird! It all seems to be working fine now (I hope!), but all I did was
>>> to follow the wires from the switch on the front of the base to where it
>>> plugs into the mobo....'then I disconnected this plug for a few seconds
>>> and re-connected it.
>>> The PC fired up right away! Anyone have any explanations for me as to
>>> what might have caused all this?
>>> Is it significant in anyway? Would this indicate a fault?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Geo.
>>>

>>> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Hey Geo:
>>
>> Your in the wrong newsgroup. you want news:alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway not
>> Packard Bell.
>> However it can be a simple wrong wiring from the switch to the
>> motherboard connections or part of the motherboard is touching metal at
>> the base and it is shorting out.
>>
>> Elector
>>

> Thanks Elector! I tend to go with 'your' explanation as all I did was
> diconnected and reconnect the plug between mobo and front switch on the
> base.
>
> BTW....'I don't think the guys in the Gateway NG are talking to me! I did
> post, but no replies.
>
> Cheers.
> Geo.
>
>Yes Geo. I believe Mr. Elector and Ken covered the full basis of your
>problem.
>
>.On many systems the power supply could be as Ken stated (on its way out).
>This of course will depend on how old or how under utilized the computer
>is.
>
>As Mr. Elector & Ken stated, there could also be a metal on metal situation
>that can cause that short. The suggestion of the power plugs being loose or
>the wire frayed could also be a major point of looking into. On the
>motherboard as Mr. Elector stated the pins and the cable could have been
>loose and your reseating them fixed your situation.
>
>I know that Elector and Ken did not mind assisting you in this group.
>Have a Happy Holiday..!

Good summary. Let's hope Eos' conclusion is a happy one!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
<snip>
> Thanks Elector! I tend to go with 'your' explanation as all I did
> was diconnected and reconnect the plug between mobo and front switch
> on the base.
>
> BTW....'I don't think the guys in the Gateway NG are talking to me!
> I did post, but no replies.
>
> Cheers.
> Geo.

Ha ha loved that last statement about the Gateway group :)
I am glad it all worked out for you.
Come back anytime, and you are more than welcome.

Elector