Windows 7 stuck on welcome screen after running chknow

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Ok so last night I ran chkdsk on my SSD which contains my OS (windows 7 ultimate 64 bit). It ran through fine and restarted as normal but after it took me back to the login screen my computer completely froze after typing my pw.

I have tried EVERYTHING. I am able to boot in safe mode and have tried disabling all nonessential start up processes, i have ran sfc /scannow, i have tried startup repair multiple times, and i have tried reconfiguring the mbr (with 3 commands i found elsewhere though i cant recall the exact commands).

Unfortunately, im an idiot and never made a system image or restore points and im really hoping im not screwed. There must be something that can be done. Im absolutely amazed that chkdsk caused this even though it seemed to run through flawlessly. Please help me guys, im desperate.

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
The welcome thing popped up with the wait circle. Everytime it spins for 5 seconds, the screen flashes black, then it spins for a few more and completely freezes.

Bios is fine and sata mode is ahci

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Yes, i ran startup repair many times to no avail then went into the command prompt and ran a few commands to reset the mbr and still nothing. Im absolutely clueless as to whats going on. I also highly doubt its a hardware issue, my computer is less than a year old, and this only happened after running chkdsk.

I'm guessing that when you ran chkdsk something got corrupted , have you tried going into safe mode ? Since you can get to the password screen that means you can press the key that allows safe mode because that happens after the bios beep and before the login screen.

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Ya like I mentioned in the OP, I am able to enter safe mode. It might also be worthy of noting (i just realized this) that despite completing, once i turn off my computer after freezing chkdsk tries to run again until i press a key to cancel it. If i let it run though and then wait to get to the login where it freezes, turn my computer off and on, it will run again.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I'm not sure why you would run chkdsk in the first place, I usually try and avoid any self repair techniques for HDD's when dealing with an SSD, its a different beast. I think that chkdsk may have ruined the magic of the garbage collection algorithm of your SSD, or cajigered with the controller itself.

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

My computer was crashing whenever I would close it and it would go into hibernate mode. I was hoping to possibly fix that problem and ended up with a bigger one. I'm just reformatting the drive though. Nothing critical will really be lost so it's probably the best choice at this point.