Sign in with
Your question

The French Connection

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2003 12:19:42 PM

I live in the uk and i am going to visit a friend in Angers,France this month.He wants me to build him a pc so i was going to take most of the components over with me-basically everything except monitor and case.If i buy a case over there, will i be able to put all these uk-bought components in it without issue?I don't know what the power is like in France but i assume that so long as i get a French PSU i should be ok attaching everything i have brought over to it.Is that right?
The other thing is, are there any issues i need to be aware of when i am flying all these bits over as far as customs or packing are concerned?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

More about : french connection

September 8, 2003 1:05:09 PM

I live in Israel and since we don't make anything here everything is imported (and works fine).I don't know if France and the UK use different power voltages but I'm 95% they don't. Also, even if there is a difference, most if not all PSU have a 220-110 switch on their back, SET THIS BEFORE YOU PLUG-IN THE POWER! One more thing, if you'll be traveling by plane it might turn out to be a lot of stuff to carry since every item comes in a large box if it's retail or a small box if it's OEM, anyway - that's a lot of boxes.
Computer hardware addicts change everything in their system over less than 2 years and if they don't live in the US they order everything from everywhere and they don't have any problem so neither should you.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!
September 8, 2003 1:19:22 PM

Thanks for your help.I'm going to buy the case in France so the PSU shouldn't be an issue.I'll probably buy generally oem stuff and leave any unnecessary packaging behind, although i will want to prevent the stuff from getting damaged.I will try to carry most of it in my hand luggage since it isn't very heavy.

Related resources
September 8, 2003 3:15:38 PM

The french use 240V; the power supply should not be any problem. The power cable may be, however. I believe you brits have the same power cables as the french, except for the grounded power cable. However, you should be able to buy a power cable in france.

Taking your computer with you: since you are both inside the EU you should be able to take the system with you. If you've paid VAT you're clear. Take the bills with you to prove you've paid VAT.

Now you may want to reconsider buying the parts in the UK. If a component fails you may have to return them to the UK for RMA. There's no dealer to fall back on. Drivers, manuals etc. are supplied in the english version, not the french version (try buying the french version of WinXP in the UK!). Undoubtedly there are Internet resellers which allow you to choose a system from your preferred components (may even be cheaper). Does take out the fun of assembling...
September 8, 2003 3:21:10 PM

Thanks for the input.Maybe i would be wise to order all the components from a French website and get them delivered to my friend.That way i don't have to worry about carrying anything and can avoid the hassle of getting a case and monitor for him when i get there.
Do you (or does anyone) know of a cheap and reliable French website which sells components?

September 8, 2003 3:32:39 PM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with such french websites. But maybe your friend can buy a french computer magazine, read the ads and forward (some of) them. Is your french up to that?
September 8, 2003 3:39:45 PM

My French is ok-especially since the product codes are always the same!I am currently looking at <A HREF="http://www.grosbill.com" target="_new">Grosbill.com</A>.The prices are about the same as UK prices.I get a little bogged down in all the stuff about delivery etc though- very confusing!

September 8, 2003 3:40:19 PM

Wow cool! I didn't know you lived in Israel.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
!