Sign in with
Your question

Build on a budget

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2003 1:34:40 PM

If you have read my "The French Connection" thread, you will know that i am in the UK and am planning to build a pc for a friend in France.
The budget he has given me is £300 ($475, 430EURO) to buy everything EXCEPT A MONITOR,CASE AND SOFTWARE.
I'm thinking AMD is the way to go because of the budget.It would be nice to be to be able to buy NForce 2 Ultra 400 if possible but KT600 seems to offer good value(although i own an NF7-S myself and i love it).My friend is a student like myself so he needs it mainly for word processing and the internet but would like to be able to play the odd game if possible within the budget.Is integrated mx440 the way to go?
I would be very grateful for any suggested builds but if you are in the US or Canada please be aware that components cost a fair bit more here in the UK.I am planning to buy all the stuff from <A HREF="http://www.ebuyer.com" target="_new">Ebuyer</A>, since i have used them many times in the past and they are the cheapest i have found.

Oh...I forgot to mention-i probably won't overclock because i want the pc to be as stable as possible since my friend knows nothing about hardware and i won't be able to go and fix any problems easily!!
I also forgot to mention that he wants a CDRW and a DVD drive-i think i will go for separate drives because i prefer it that way and it doesn't cost much more.
no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 09/08/03 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : build budget

September 8, 2003 3:23:25 PM

If anyone knows of a decent and cheap French website that sells components that would be very handy, as then i could get the stuff sent straight to my friend.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
September 8, 2003 3:43:15 PM

I'm sorry, I can't help you there. Doesn't both UK & France both use Euros. If you order the stuff for him in the UK, he can pay you the exact amount when you vist him in France. I gotta say, that Euro system can come in handy sometimes.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
Related resources
September 8, 2003 3:49:49 PM

UK still uses £ pounds.I am just trying to avoid the hassle of having to carry some stuff over there and then having to find a monitor and case for him when i get there-especially as i will only be there for about five days.Makes it easier this way, so long as i can get through all that French!

September 8, 2003 5:18:52 PM

TBH I think it would probably cheaper to get the stuff in the UK. I would imagine computer stuff to be quite expensive in france. How are you planning on getting over there? If you go by ferry and take your own car it wont be so hard.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>
September 8, 2003 5:53:57 PM

I am going by plane so it's not so handy.From looking at a few French websites it seems that components are generally slightly cheaper or the same price as they are in the UK.I think i might try to mix and match, getting some stuff here and some there.That does mean constantly switching from euros to pounds though!!

!