Device assigned as #xx when no other device installed.

This has happened several times and I don't know how to correct it, if anyone
has a suggestion please let me know.

When I uninstall. unplug and remove drivers, for a USB device (web cam) and
then reinstall it later Windows says it #2 or #3 or #4 but there is no other
device. Why does it name it that way and how can I make it install as just
that device.

This has also happened when I installed a replacement NIC card.

I hope someone understands what I am trying to explain.

Thanks

It happens because Windows remembers all devices that have been
installed. Unfortunately, certain devices cause enumeration again and
you get incremental instances. USB does this sometimes because the
device is plugged into a different Hub/Port.
You can unplug the device, Open Device Manager, Click View, tic
the option "Show Hidden Devices". Expand the category in question,
like Imaging Devices - Uninstall all of the same device and then plug
the device back in (Try to use the same port/socket).