I need to buy two laptops for around £550. There are so many available. Can
anybody tell which companies are reliable.

Daughter seen Packard Bell Easynote-are they reliable.

Any advice would help greatly

Cheers

Dennis Jubb

Malke

dennisjubb wrote:

> I need to buy two laptops for around £550. There are so many
> available. Can anybody tell which companies are reliable.
>
> Daughter seen Packard Bell Easynote-are they reliable.
>
> Any advice would help greatly
>
> Cheers
>
> Dennis Jubb

Our school has been pleased with the Dell 600M laptops for the 7th-8th
grade laptop program. I don't know how prices compare to what you are
looking for. You'll have to check it out yourself.

Can't help you with a review of the Packard Bell notebook, sorry. I
don't know if the company has gotten better, but among techs over here
(US) it is often called "Packard Hell".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke

So I should steer clear of Packard Bell. Is Dell a reliable product. Always
concerned why they are so cheap

"dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Malke
>
> So I should steer clear of Packard Bell. Is Dell a reliable product.
> Always
> concerned why they are so cheap

We have many Dell notebooks, and my sister's company has many hundreds.
They are reliable, and often in the US come with at-home repair warranties.

Malke

dennisjubb wrote:

> Malke
>
> So I should steer clear of Packard Bell. Is Dell a reliable product.
> Always concerned why they are so cheap

If you will reread my original post, you will see that I did not say
anything about Packard Bell except to remark that the company was not
known for having good products in the past. Perhaps they are good now.
Since you are in the UK, maybe you have friends who have one and you
can see for yourself.

Dell is a reliable computer company. That is not an iron-clad guarantee
that nothing will ever go wrong, of course. Since the laptop is for a
child, it would be smart to purchase at least a 2-year extended
accidental insurance policy. Dell sells computers inexpensively because
they sell a huge volume of product and they are masters of cost
management.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Can you easily upgrade Dell laptops yourself or is their restrictions to
what you can do yourself. Upgraded my Pc but heard in Uk that it is
difficult to do this to Dell machine or have I been mis-informed?

Cheers

Dennis

"Malke" wrote:

> dennisjubb wrote:
>
> > Malke
> >
> > So I should steer clear of Packard Bell. Is Dell a reliable product.
> > Always concerned why they are so cheap
> >
> If you will reread my original post, you will see that I did not say
> anything about Packard Bell except to remark that the company was not
> known for having good products in the past. Perhaps they are good now.
> Since you are in the UK, maybe you have friends who have one and you
> can see for yourself.
>
> Dell is a reliable computer company. That is not an iron-clad guarantee
> that nothing will ever go wrong, of course. Since the laptop is for a
> child, it would be smart to purchase at least a 2-year extended
> accidental insurance policy. Dell sells computers inexpensively because
> they sell a huge volume of product and they are masters of cost
> management.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Dell makes good "All Purpose" notebooks - Best to check the Big vendors
for specials. There are just too many parameters, specifications for
notebooks
to be able to give a definitive recommendation. About the only criteria I
would
suggest is 512 Megabytes of memory or more.
When you get your search narrowed to a vendor and model - check around
on the web for customer ratings, like at epinions.com or on the vendor's web
site/forums. Any customers with problems have likely posted their
experiences
for others to see & comment on.

Is that 550 Quid for each or both ? I would probably start my search with
the
following which offered for around $650 US.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i600mS0&s=dhs

If you can provide more specifics about features/requirements there are
probably
NG members who help steer you to a good decision.

>I need to buy two laptops for around £550. There are so many available.
>Can
> anybody tell which companies are reliable.
>
> Daughter seen Packard Bell Easynote-are they reliable.
>
> Any advice would help greatly
>
> Cheers
>
> Dennis Jubb

Is Dell reliable?

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Dell makes good "All Purpose" notebooks - Best to check the Big vendors
> for specials. There are just too many parameters, specifications for
> notebooks
> to be able to give a definitive recommendation. About the only criteria I
> would
> suggest is 512 Megabytes of memory or more.
> When you get your search narrowed to a vendor and model - check around
> on the web for customer ratings, like at epinions.com or on the vendor's web
> site/forums. Any customers with problems have likely posted their
> experiences
> for others to see & comment on.
>
> Is that 550 Quid for each or both ? I would probably start my search with
> the
> following which offered for around $650 US.
> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i600mS0&s=dhs
>
> If you can provide more specifics about features/requirements there are
> probably
> NG members who help steer you to a good decision.
>
> "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to buy two laptops for around £550. There are so many available.
> >Can
> > anybody tell which companies are reliable.
> >
> > Daughter seen Packard Bell Easynote-are they reliable.
> >
> > Any advice would help greatly
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Dennis Jubb

Interesting how we both recommended the same model series Dell.
I noticed today that Dell's new option recommendations for memory
is now at 1.0 Gigabyte from the previous 512.

> dennisjubb wrote:
>
>> I need to buy two laptops for around £550. There are so many
>> available. Can anybody tell which companies are reliable.
>>
>> Daughter seen Packard Bell Easynote-are they reliable.
>>
>> Any advice would help greatly
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dennis Jubb
>
> Our school has been pleased with the Dell 600M laptops for the 7th-8th
> grade laptop program. I don't know how prices compare to what you are
> looking for. You'll have to check it out yourself.
>
> Can't help you with a review of the Packard Bell notebook, sorry. I
> don't know if the company has gotten better, but among techs over here
> (US) it is often called "Packard Hell".
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I want to spend £550 on each one. Spec-512MB, Wireless Network, 60GB
plus,decent warranty and 64mb graphics.

Many thanks

Appreciate help as I am planning to spend over £1000 for Christmas presents

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Interesting how we both recommended the same model series Dell.
> I noticed today that Dell's new option recommendations for memory
> is now at 1.0 Gigabyte from the previous 512.
>
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
> > dennisjubb wrote:
> >
> >> I need to buy two laptops for around £550. There are so many
> >> available. Can anybody tell which companies are reliable.
> >>
> >> Daughter seen Packard Bell Easynote-are they reliable.
> >>
> >> Any advice would help greatly
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Dennis Jubb
> >
> > Our school has been pleased with the Dell 600M laptops for the 7th-8th
> > grade laptop program. I don't know how prices compare to what you are
> > looking for. You'll have to check it out yourself.
> >
> > Can't help you with a review of the Packard Bell notebook, sorry. I
> > don't know if the company has gotten better, but among techs over here
> > (US) it is often called "Packard Hell".
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I didn't know that Packard Bell was still in business. They made the worst
of the worst retail machines in the nineties and early "naughts"

I know they were bought out by NEC, who was also never known for stellar
machines.

I would give a hearty thumbs up to a Dell laptop.
I have one that just won't die.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Malke
>
> So I should steer clear of Packard Bell. Is Dell a reliable product.
> Always
> concerned why they are so cheap
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> dennisjubb wrote:
>>
>> > I need to buy two laptops for around £550. There are so many
>> > available. Can anybody tell which companies are reliable.
>> >
>> > Daughter seen Packard Bell Easynote-are they reliable.
>> >
>> > Any advice would help greatly
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Dennis Jubb
>>
>> Our school has been pleased with the Dell 600M laptops for the 7th-8th
>> grade laptop program. I don't know how prices compare to what you are
>> looking for. You'll have to check it out yourself.
>>
>> Can't help you with a review of the Packard Bell notebook, sorry. I
>> don't know if the company has gotten better, but among techs over here
>> (US) it is often called "Packard Hell".
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

dennisjubb wrote:

> Malke
>
> Can you easily upgrade Dell laptops yourself or is their restrictions
> what you can do yourself. Upgraded my Pc but heard in Uk that it is
> difficult to do this to Dell machine or have I been mis-informed?

I'm not sure what kind of upgrade you wish to do to a laptop. Laptops
generally aren't particularly upgradeable. You can add memory, a bigger
hard drive (within reason and bearing in mind heat), and in a few
instances of high-end gaming laptops you can upgrade the video card.
This last is usually not an option with regular laptops. This applies
to all laptops, not just Dells. It is the nature of the machine.

Because laptops aren't upgradeable the way a desktop is, you should
always buy a laptop that meets or slightly exceeds your current needs
and you should buy from a well-known vendor. Any hardware support will
most probably have to come from the laptop mftr., so don't pick some
unknown company just to save a few pounds.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:18:12 -0700, "dennisjubb"
<dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is Dell reliable?

Research I've seen indicates IBM's laptops are best. But all laptops
are less relieable than desktops. If you must get a laptop be sure to
get the extended warranty. Why won't a desktop do?
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Malke

Thanks for that