Why do Icons change appearance??

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Hi

Why is it that evertime I turn on the PC the icons in My Documents or
windows explorer, or wherever folder never stay the same. This is XP Home on
a 4600.

I have view to show status bar & that is gone the next time. I have treid to
lock the toolbar, that does not do it. Sometimes they appear as filmstrip,
thumbnails, listed, what ever they feel like auto changing to.

I like the different foldesr to apear differently, & that has not beeen
happening.

This is rather hard to explian, hope I made it as clear as I can.

TIA Doc

are you the ONLY person using your computer?
Are you SURE???????
have you tried "arrange icons / by type / autoarrange" ?
do you have an EFFECTIVE antivirus program in place?

Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
for rates and online chat

- Gotta run. My neighbors just sighted Elvis making crop circles.

"Doc" <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Why is it that evertime I turn on the PC the icons in My Documents or
> windows explorer, or wherever folder never stay the same. This is XP Home
> on
> a 4600.
>
> I have view to show status bar & that is gone the next time. I have treid
> lock the toolbar, that does not do it. Sometimes they appear as filmstrip,
> thumbnails, listed, what ever they feel like auto changing to.
>
> I like the different foldesr to apear differently, & that has not beeen
> happening.
>
> This is rather hard to explian, hope I made it as clear as I can.
>
> TIA Doc

>"Doc"

>Why is it that evertime I turn on the PC the icons in My Documents or
>windows explorer, or wherever folder never stay the same. This is XP Home on
>a 4600.
>
>I have view to show status bar & that is gone the next time. I have treid to
>lock the toolbar, that does not do it. Sometimes they appear as filmstrip,
>thumbnails, listed, what ever they feel like auto changing to.
>
>I like the different foldesr to apear differently, & that has not beeen
>happening.
>
>This is rather hard to explian, hope I made it as clear as I can.

Do you mean that when you click on a folder sometimes the files within the
folder appear as icons, sometimes as a list, and sometimes as thumbnails? If
so, try this:

To make all folder views the same:

Open a folder and select a folder view. (I like list view)

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

On the View tab, click Apply to All Folders

Hope this helps.

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Hi

Alan you know what I mean. But I do not like all my folders with the same
view..I am able to get that. I did a search on google "groups", & there are
some postings there...such as icons change to tiles. Which is what happens
to me.

They discuss a setting in the registry. I guess after so may viiews of a
folder something happens. Anyway i am trying to decise if I should edit the
registry or just deal with it like this.

Thank you all
Doc