Problems with Windows update

I have XP Home SP-2 and have always been able to update easily. Now I seem
to have a misconfigured ZoneAlarm which is preventing the update to go
forward. I know that is the case because if I turn ZA off, the update works
fine. With ZA on, the Windows Update stops with an error at the point where
it is checking to see if I "have the latest update utility".

Of course I want to continue to use ZA, but I am not sure which of the
alerts shown in the log as "blocked" I should tell ZA to enable. How do I
find out which one is the one that Windows update needs to be allowed? What
name or protocol should I be looking for?

Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    Jeff wrote:
    > I have XP Home SP-2 and have always been able to update easily. Now
    > I seem to have a misconfigured ZoneAlarm which is preventing the
    > update to go forward. I know that is the case because if I turn ZA
    > off, the update works fine. With ZA on, the Windows Update stops
    > with an error at the point where it is checking to see if I "have the
    > latest update utility".
    > Of course I want to continue to use ZA, but I am not sure which of the
    > alerts shown in the log as "blocked" I should tell ZA to enable. How
    > do I find out which one is the one that Windows update needs to be
    > allowed? What name or protocol should I be looking for?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Ignore this message. After rebooting, the Windows update went smoothly
    despite ZA being active. No idea what happened.

    Thanks.

    Jeff

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP