jeff

I have XP Home SP-2 and have always been able to update easily. Now I seem
to have a misconfigured ZoneAlarm which is preventing the update to go
forward. I know that is the case because if I turn ZA off, the update works
fine. With ZA on, the Windows Update stops with an error at the point where
it is checking to see if I "have the latest update utility".

Of course I want to continue to use ZA, but I am not sure which of the
alerts shown in the log as "blocked" I should tell ZA to enable. How do I
find out which one is the one that Windows update needs to be allowed? What
name or protocol should I be looking for?

Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

jeff

Jeff wrote:
> I have XP Home SP-2 and have always been able to update easily. Now
> I seem to have a misconfigured ZoneAlarm which is preventing the
> update to go forward. I know that is the case because if I turn ZA
> off, the update works fine. With ZA on, the Windows Update stops
> with an error at the point where it is checking to see if I "have the
> latest update utility".
> Of course I want to continue to use ZA, but I am not sure which of the
> alerts shown in the log as "blocked" I should tell ZA to enable. How
> do I find out which one is the one that Windows update needs to be
> allowed? What name or protocol should I be looking for?
>
> Thanks.

Ignore this message. After rebooting, the Windows update went smoothly
despite ZA being active. No idea what happened.

Thanks.

Jeff