Opteron or Athlon64FX

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I have read alot about these two chips lately and frankly can't wait to get one. As far as i can tell the Opteron and the Athlon64-FX are the same. Is that correct? Do both use ECC Ram? Does anyone have any prices on the upcoming chips and the Boards? Will my current DDR2700 Ram work with with if its not ecc?

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This isn't really an answer. It's more of a observation. I'm just wondering how you could have "read alot about these two chips lately" and yet not know the answers to your own questions...

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
a64 has weaker hypertransport capability than opteron.
And uses dual-channel ram instead of multi-channel.

<font color=green>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELLS</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UP-SIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=green>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I think that there is <b>nobody</b> that can answer for sure, even one of your questions. On the other hand, 23rd September is not that far away so, simply be patient for two more weeks and all your questions will be answered then. The only thing I can answer you for sure is that if the A64 FX requires ECC memory after all, then no, your current DDR2700 won't work with it.