Partitions

If I partition my hard drive and want to append a partion to the windows xp
partition can this be done.

Also If I am having problemsdefraging a partition (it say's something about
a retore file on it) but this partition does not have an operation system. I
just use it to keep web sites I develop on it. How can I defrag it.

Thank you
Dee
10 answers Last reply
More about partitions

    You can't add another partition to your system or boot partition, but you
    can extend into unused space using the diskpart command.

    If you are having issues defragging a partition you can try dfragging in
    safe mode, or posting the exact error message and someone here can find the
    solution.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman

    Dee wrote:

    > If I partition my hard drive and want to append a partion to the
    > windows xp partition can this be done.

    Do you mean you want to conbine two partitions and have one bigger one
    instead?

    Unfortunately, no version of Windows provides any way of changing the
    partition structure of the drive nondestructively. The only way to do what
    you want is with third-party software. Partition Magic is the best-known
    such program, but there are freeware/shareware alternatives. One such
    program is BootIt Next Generation. It's shareware, but comes with a free
    30-day trial, so you should be able to do what you want within that 30 days.
    I haven't used it myself, but it comes highly recommended by several other
    MVPs here.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Thank you I will use booit. I have several computers. On one of my
    desktops, I think I got a virus and I want to run fdisk on it, there is not
    much on it at the moment because I am going to used it to evently put all my
    web sites I design on it. Do you know where I can get a copy of dos that is
    bootable. I will have to put this on CD as it has not floppy drive
    everything is USB.

    Also for the partition that will not defrag I am gettiner the following
    error in
    g:\system\volume
    information\_retores{46B2E85-FCD1-4325-B28E-D38F54B93294}\fifoed\A0154340.exe

    How do I get rid of this, I can not find it?

    Thanks
    Dee

    Dee wrote:

    > Thank you I will use booit. I have several computers. On one of my
    > desktops, I think I got a virus and I want to run fdisk on it, there is not
    > much on it at the moment because I am going to used it to evently put all my
    > web sites I design on it. Do you know where I can get a copy of dos that is
    > bootable. I will have to put this on CD as it has not floppy drive
    > everything is USB.
    >
    > Also for the partition that will not defrag I am gettiner the following
    > error in
    > g:\system\volume
    > information\_retores{46B2E85-FCD1-4325-B28E-D38F54B93294}\fifoed\A0154340.exe
    >
    > How do I get rid of this, I can not find it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dee
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >

    >>Dee wrote:
    >>

    >>>If I partition my hard drive and want to append a partion to the
    >>>windows xp partition can this be done.
    >>

    >>Do you mean you want to conbine two partitions and have one bigger one
    >>instead?
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, no version of Windows provides any way of changing the
    >>partition structure of the drive nondestructively. The only way to do what
    >>you want is with third-party software. Partition Magic is the best-known
    >>such program, but there are freeware/shareware alternatives. One such
    >>program is BootIt Next Generation. It's shareware, but comes with a free
    >>30-day trial, so you should be able to do what you want within that 30 days.
    >>I haven't used it myself, but it comes highly recommended by several other
    >>MVPs here.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Ken Blake
    >>Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    That's in a system restore point. There is no way to remove it
    individually. Either remove all restore points by turning off system
    restore - Right click My Computer | Properties | System Restore | Turn
    off System Restore on All Drives, Ok out. Reboot, then turn it back on.

    Or delete all but the most recent from disk clean up. Open My computer,
    right click the C drive | Properties | Disk cleanup | More Options |
    System Restore - Clean up.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Manny,

    I tried diskpart and it will not work unless your volumes are formatted in
    NTFS. I did not do this because I am also running Fedora Core 4 and want to
    be able to share information there and on my other volumes with the system
    volume which is d: I guest C: is my booy volume. I have two free volumes,
    and 2 others using space for web development and tools.

    Will partion magic hurt my volumes?

    Thanks for any help.

    "Manny Borges" wrote:

    > You can't add another partition to your system or boot partition, but you
    > can extend into unused space using the diskpart command.
    >
    > If you are having issues defragging a partition you can try dfragging in
    > safe mode, or posting the exact error message and someone here can find the
    > solution.
    >
    > --
    > Manny Borges
    > MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
    > MCT, Certified Cheese Master
    >
    > The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    > -- Marty Feldman
    > "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > If I partition my hard drive and want to append a partion to the windows
    > > xp
    > > partition can this be done.
    > >
    > > Also If I am having problemsdefraging a partition (it say's something
    > > about
    > > a retore file on it) but this partition does not have an operation system.
    > > just use it to keep web sites I develop on it. How can I defrag it.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > > Dee

    In article <B8633391-3FBC-44DE-8F3A-4037C0C2AC17@microsoft.com>, Dee
    favored us with...
    > Will partion magic hurt my volumes?

    If you mean Partition Magic, the answer is that it should not hurt
    them. However, repartitioning is inherently risky (what if there's a
    power failure?), so you should always do a full backup first.

    If you already have Partition Magic, by all means use it. If you
    don't, do you know that your Fedora installation includes GNU parted,
    which is fine for FAT32 partitions? (That's according to the
    documentation; I haven't used it myself yet.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Modern cyberspace is a deadly festering swamp, teeming with
    dangerous programs such as "viruses," "worms," "Trojan horses,"
    and "licensed Microsoft software" that can take over your
    computer and render it useless. --Dave Barry

    Thank you Stan you were a great help in partitioning. I still can not do a
    degrag on one of my partitions, as a matter of fact I can not even boot in
    safe mode, but have no other problems. This file is some where in restore.

    Thanks Dee

    "Stan Brown" wrote:

    > In article <B8633391-3FBC-44DE-8F3A-4037C0C2AC17@microsoft.com>, Dee
    > favored us with...
    > > Will partion magic hurt my volumes?
    >
    > If you mean Partition Magic, the answer is that it should not hurt
    > them. However, repartitioning is inherently risky (what if there's a
    > power failure?), so you should always do a full backup first.
    >
    > If you already have Partition Magic, by all means use it. If you
    > don't, do you know that your Fedora installation includes GNU parted,
    > which is fine for FAT32 partitions? (That's according to the
    > documentation; I haven't used it myself yet.)

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com
    > Modern cyberspace is a deadly festering swamp, teeming with
    > dangerous programs such as "viruses," "worms," "Trojan horses,"
    > and "licensed Microsoft software" that can take over your
    > computer and render it useless. --Dave Barry

    I have partition magic 6.0, but it will not even start on this system for
    some reason, I keep getting an error. I download bootit next generation, but
    it is hard to figure out how teh combine two partion. The one I want to
    combine to my windows xp partion is not partioned at all as fat32 or anything
    it just has a free space of 6 gig.

    Any help because the partition 8 is a demo and I do not think it will work.

    Thanks
    Dee

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:56:03 -0700, Dee <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >I have partition magic 6.0, but it will not even start on this system for
    >some reason,
    I don't think 6.0 recognizes NTFS. Grab a later version.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 06:03:02 -0700, Dee <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >None of my partitions are NTFS. I tried bootit and it totally missed up my
    >computer and I spent all day yesterday trying to restore it back to what it
    >was. Have remove Fedora 4, install Windows 2000, then act as if I as
    >installing Windows XP and do a rescue and do a bootcfg /scan to reset those
    >partions.

    I don't get this "act as if I (w)as installing Windows XP " bit.

    >Before I reinstall Fedore I would like to expand the partition that has
    >Windows XP on it. I just wnat to give it more space not change it or alter
    >it.

    Well, NTFS or not, I'd get a later version of PM.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Microsoft Partition Hard Drives Windows XP