Can't find some Folders

August 27, 2005 8:01:42 PM

PROBLEM 1

when i analyze my hard drive's fragmentation i find 3 folders that id
like to delete but cant find them in windows explorer

i think i have show hidden folders and files chosen

but these are hidden

here's part of that report

Volume (C:)
Fragments File Size Most fragmented files

598 688 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\iktau0fx.TMP
550
473 679 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\yxhqaobs.TMP
413 679 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\f7nhq610.TMP

PROBLEM 2

also using windows explorer i see that my folder called

Windows\Temp has 23 folders and 130 files and 6.61 gigs

i can only see a few of these folders

id like to recover the 6.61 gigs but i cant see any folders that have
anywhere near even 0.5 gig

help

can i just delete the windows\temp folder?

More about : find folders

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:01:43 PM

This opens Windows\Temp...
Start | Run | Type: temp | Click OK |
Delete any files that you find.
Do not try to delete the folder.

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box  Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.
-----

If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4nk1h15lni23ai0l3qgr1k6jkb4tnja0n3@4ax.com,
v4t9hy3d8 <h23@nowhere.org> hunted and pecked:
> PROBLEM 1
>
> when i analyze my hard drive's fragmentation i find 3 folders that id
> like to delete but cant find them in windows explorer
>
> i think i have show hidden folders and files chosen
>
> but these are hidden
>
> here's part of that report
>
> Volume (C:)
> Fragments File Size Most fragmented files
>
> 598 688 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\iktau0fx.TMP
> 550
> 473 679 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\yxhqaobs.TMP
> 413 679 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\f7nhq610.TMP

> PROBLEM 2
>
> also using windows explorer i see that my folder called
>
> Windows\Temp has 23 folders and 130 files and 6.61 gigs
>
> i can only see a few of these folders
>
> id like to recover the 6.61 gigs but i cant see any folders that have
> anywhere near even 0.5 gig
>
> help
>
> can i just delete the windows\temp folder?
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:20:56 PM

wait i found them by clicking an option in folder options menu

but is it safe to delete files in windows\temp folder?
August 27, 2005 9:08:52 PM

Yes, you can delete files in TEMP folders. If you are unsure, reboot and
check the folder(s) again. XP will not let you delete a file that is in
use. Also if you just installed software you should reboot. Then check the
folder(s) again. Some programs require these files after a reboot. It is
good practice to always reboot after installing any software.

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temp

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files

This will open ...
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temp
Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
Click in the right hand pane | Ctrl + A to select All |
This will send the files to the Recycle Bin...
Right click and select Delete or hit your Delete key

If they end in .TMP they are OK to delete.

TMP means temporary.

You can't hurt anything deleting tmp files, unless you just installed some
new program.

Most well mannered programs will delete tmp files when you reboot.

Yes, you can delete files in TEMP folders.

If you are unsure, reboot and check the folder(s) again.

XP will not let you delete a file that is in use. And will let you know
about it with a popup message.

If you try to select and delete all the tmp files in a folder and if any of
them are in use, you'll get an error message. Try to delete a few at a time
to avoid the error message. But, try to delete them all first.

If you're using ZoneAlarm, ZA has at least one tmp file that is almost
always in use.

In news:t7m1h15vlihd6p6b2dc3t3p7eg14rhmk26@4ax.com,
v4t9hy3d8 <h23@nowhere.org> hunted and pecked:
> wait i found them by clicking an option in folder options menu
>
> but is it safe to delete files in windows\temp folder?
August 27, 2005 11:31:46 PM

Hello Wes,

What about non *.tmp files in the Windows\Temp directory? I

have a couple of hundred files in the format of "Perflib_Perfdata_6c8.dat."
Do you know what these are, and if they also can be safely deleted?

Alan

> Yes, you can delete files in TEMP folders. If you are unsure, reboot and
> check the folder(s) again. XP will not let you delete a file that is in
> use. Also if you just installed software you should reboot. Then check
> the
> folder(s) again. Some programs require these files after a reboot. It is
> good practice to always reboot after installing any software.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Temp
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temp
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files
>
> This will open ...
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temp
> Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
> Click in the right hand pane | Ctrl + A to select All |
> This will send the files to the Recycle Bin...
> Right click and select Delete or hit your Delete key
>
> If they end in .TMP they are OK to delete.
>
> TMP means temporary.
>
> You can't hurt anything deleting tmp files, unless you just installed some
> new program.
>
> Most well mannered programs will delete tmp files when you reboot.
>
> Yes, you can delete files in TEMP folders.
>
> If you are unsure, reboot and check the folder(s) again.
>
> XP will not let you delete a file that is in use. And will let you know
> about it with a popup message.
>
> If you try to select and delete all the tmp files in a folder and if any
> of
> them are in use, you'll get an error message. Try to delete a few at a
> time
> to avoid the error message. But, try to delete them all first.
>
> If you're using ZoneAlarm, ZA has at least one tmp file that is almost
> always in use.
>
> Also if you just installed software you should reboot. Then check the
> folder(s) again. Some programs require these files after a reboot. It is
> good practice to always reboot after installing any software.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:t7m1h15vlihd6p6b2dc3t3p7eg14rhmk26@4ax.com,
> v4t9hy3d8 <h23@nowhere.org> hunted and pecked:
>> wait i found them by clicking an option in folder options menu
>>
>> but is it safe to delete files in windows\temp folder?

August 27, 2005 11:31:47 PM

Alan wrote:

> Hello Wes,
>
> What about non *.tmp files in the Windows\Temp directory? I
>
> have a couple of hundred files in the format of "Perflib_Perfdata_6c8.dat."
> Do you know what these are, and if they also can be safely deleted?
>
> Alan

>>Yes, you can delete files in TEMP folders. If you are unsure, reboot and
>>check the folder(s) again. XP will not let you delete a file that is in
>>use. Also if you just installed software you should reboot. Then check
>>the
>>folder(s) again. Some programs require these files after a reboot. It is
>>good practice to always reboot after installing any software.
>>
>>C:\WINDOWS\Temp
>>
>>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temp
>>
>>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
>>Files
>>
>>This will open ...
>>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temp
>>Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
>>Click in the right hand pane | Ctrl + A to select All |
>>This will send the files to the Recycle Bin...
>>Right click and select Delete or hit your Delete key
>>
>>If they end in .TMP they are OK to delete.
>>
>>TMP means temporary.
>>
>>You can't hurt anything deleting tmp files, unless you just installed some
>>new program.
>>
>>Most well mannered programs will delete tmp files when you reboot.
>>
>>Yes, you can delete files in TEMP folders.
>>
>>If you are unsure, reboot and check the folder(s) again.
>>
>>XP will not let you delete a file that is in use. And will let you know
>>about it with a popup message.
>>
>>If you try to select and delete all the tmp files in a folder and if any
>>of
>>them are in use, you'll get an error message. Try to delete a few at a
>>time
>>to avoid the error message. But, try to delete them all first.
>>
>>If you're using ZoneAlarm, ZA has at least one tmp file that is almost
>>always in use.
>>
>>Also if you just installed software you should reboot. Then check the
>>folder(s) again. Some programs require these files after a reboot. It is
>>good practice to always reboot after installing any software.
>>
>>--
>>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>>Wes
>>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>>In news:t7m1h15vlihd6p6b2dc3t3p7eg14rhmk26@4ax.com,
>>v4t9hy3d8 <h23@nowhere.org> hunted and pecked:
>>
>>>wait i found them by clicking an option in folder options menu
>>>
>>>but is it safe to delete files in windows\temp folder?

Anything in the temp folders can be deleted unless they are in use in
which case windows won't let them be deleted. As Wes said, first
reboot, then delete the contents of the temp folders. Doesn't matter
what the file extension is.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi Rock,

Okay, it's done. Thanks.

Alan

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o PHa0m2qFHA.3436@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>>to avoid the error message. But, try to delete them all first.
>>>
>>>If you're using ZoneAlarm, ZA has at least one tmp file that is almost
>>>always in use.
>>>
>>>Also if you just installed software you should reboot. Then check the
>>>folder(s) again. Some programs require these files after a reboot. It
>>>is
>>>good practice to always reboot after installing any software.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>>Wes
>>>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>>In news:t7m1h15vlihd6p6b2dc3t3p7eg14rhmk26@4ax.com,
>>>v4t9hy3d8 <h23@nowhere.org> hunted and pecked:

> Anything in the temp folders can be deleted unless they are in use in
> which case windows won't let them be deleted. As Wes said, first reboot,
> then delete the contents of the temp folders. Doesn't matter what the

August 28, 2005 1:42:36 AM

Alan wrote:

> Hi Rock,
>
> Okay, it's done. Thanks.