Dimension XPS Bxxr RDRAM question.

I've just picked up a used XPS Br (1GHz, 256mb RDRAM) off the web. I really
should've waited on a 1GHz 4100, but that's another story.

I'd like to take a shot at bumping the RAM on this box up to the max. 512mb
if I can scrape up a used RIMM.

I suspect the current RIMM is PC700/16-bit non-ECC. (The box hasn't arrived
yet).

Current retail RDRAM offerings are usually PC800/ 40ns. I believe that the
original RIMMs were 45ns.

Anyone care to comment on what to avoid and what spec. to look for? I'd
really rather not go retail on this, as it's not worth it ($100, (1) 256mb
RIMM). Also, can't the XPS Br systems use mixed CAPACITY RIMMs (ie: 1x256
and 1x128 = 384) as long as the speeds (and ECC or nonECC) match?

I plan to install XP Home on the system, and I suspect it will manage with
only 256mb, but I'd prefer 512mb.

TIA,

Stew

Matching RDRAM speeds is not important. Just make sure that the RDRAM is PC700
or PC800, not the slower PC600. RDRAM speed ratings indicate the fastest speed
at which the memory can operate, but it can always run slower.

You can also mix ECC and non-ECC on a system, unless the system specification
absolutely requires ECC. Unlike ECC DIMMs, but very much like the older 72-pin
SIMMs, the parity is ignored if a non-ECC RDRAM module is installed. Best to
check the specs of the motherboard. Must be an Intel 820 chipset for a P3
RAMBUS system... Ben Myers

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:31:57 -0600, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I've just picked up a used XPS Br (1GHz, 256mb RDRAM) off the web. I really
>should've waited on a 1GHz 4100, but that's another story.
>
>I'd like to take a shot at bumping the RAM on this box up to the max. 512mb
>if I can scrape up a used RIMM.
>
>I suspect the current RIMM is PC700/16-bit non-ECC. (The box hasn't arrived
>yet).
>
>Current retail RDRAM offerings are usually PC800/ 40ns. I believe that the
>original RIMMs were 45ns.
>
>Anyone care to comment on what to avoid and what spec. to look for? I'd
>really rather not go retail on this, as it's not worth it ($100, (1) 256mb
>RIMM). Also, can't the XPS Br systems use mixed CAPACITY RIMMs (ie: 1x256
>and 1x128 = 384) as long as the speeds (and ECC or nonECC) match?
>
>I plan to install XP Home on the system, and I suspect it will manage with
>only 256mb, but I'd prefer 512mb.
>

>TIA,
>
>Stew

You can use either PC700 or PC800 and you can mix them. If you mix the
speeds, the memory will default to the slower speed.

As far as ECC or Non-ECC, again, you can mix them if you want. If you mix
them, you can turn the ECC off in the system bios.

I've done both on my own B1000r a few years ago, and it's been running fine
ever since. Currently it's still in use running XP Pro with no problems at
all.

"Timothy Drouillard" <timdrouillard@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You can use either PC700 or PC800 and you can mix them. If you mix the
> speeds, the memory will default to the slower speed.
>
> As far as ECC or Non-ECC, again, you can mix them if you want. If you mix
> them, you can turn the ECC off in the system bios.
>
> I've done both on my own B1000r a few years ago, and it's been running
> fine ever since. Currently it's still in use running XP Pro with no
> problems at all.

Thanks, Timothy. Any chance you'd know the <ns> spec on the RIMMs you're
using? Most current 16 bit RIMMs are 40ns, and I was under the impression
that the XPS B needed 45ns. ?

It's also occurred to me I may be looking at 2 x128mb in the machine versus
1 x 256mb + CRIMM, which would mean I'd have to locate a cheap pair instead
of a single.

Stew

> Matching RDRAM speeds is not important. Just make sure that the RDRAM is
> PC700
> or PC800, not the slower PC600. RDRAM speed ratings indicate the fastest
> speed
> at which the memory can operate, but it can always run slower.
>
> You can also mix ECC and non-ECC on a system, unless the system
> specification
> absolutely requires ECC. Unlike ECC DIMMs, but very much like the older
> 72-pin
> SIMMs, the parity is ignored if a non-ECC RDRAM module is installed. Best
> check the specs of the motherboard. Must be an Intel 820 chipset for a P3
> RAMBUS system... Ben Myers

I knew that the speeds could be mixed and would default to the slower speed.
The Dell specs show no ECC used in the machine and that 16bit PC600/700/or
800 can be used - and assumed that mixed ECC/non would default as well to
non.

I'm more concerned about the ns/nanosecond ratings; mainly, if faster 40ns
RIMMs can be used.

Stew

Don't worry about the speeds in ns. The "PC" rating is what's most important
for RAMBUS. Yes, you can use the faster 40ns RIMMs, which would almost always
be rated as PC800. They will clock nicely at the slower speed generated by the
Intel 820 chipset... Ben Myers

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:52:10 -0600, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>> Matching RDRAM speeds is not important. Just make sure that the RDRAM is
>> PC700
>> or PC800, not the slower PC600. RDRAM speed ratings indicate the fastest
>> speed
>> at which the memory can operate, but it can always run slower.
>>
>> You can also mix ECC and non-ECC on a system, unless the system
>> specification
>> absolutely requires ECC. Unlike ECC DIMMs, but very much like the older
>> 72-pin
>> SIMMs, the parity is ignored if a non-ECC RDRAM module is installed. Best
>> check the specs of the motherboard. Must be an Intel 820 chipset for a P3
>> RAMBUS system... Ben Myers
>>

>I knew that the speeds could be mixed and would default to the slower speed.
>The Dell specs show no ECC used in the machine and that 16bit PC600/700/or
>800 can be used - and assumed that mixed ECC/non would default as well to
>non.
>
>I'm more concerned about the ns/nanosecond ratings; mainly, if faster 40ns
>RIMMs can be used.
>

>Stew

When I get to work tomorrow where my B1000r is, I'll take a few pictures of
the ram and check the markings.

> "Timothy Drouillard" <timdrouillard@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> You can use either PC700 or PC800 and you can mix them. If you mix the
>> speeds, the memory will default to the slower speed.
>>
>> As far as ECC or Non-ECC, again, you can mix them if you want. If you mix
>> them, you can turn the ECC off in the system bios.
>>
>> I've done both on my own B1000r a few years ago, and it's been running
>> fine ever since. Currently it's still in use running XP Pro with no
>> problems at all.
>>

> Thanks, Timothy. Any chance you'd know the <ns> spec on the RIMMs you're
> using? Most current 16 bit RIMMs are 40ns, and I was under the impression
> that the XPS B needed 45ns. ?
>
> It's also occurred to me I may be looking at 2 x128mb in the machine
> versus 1 x 256mb + CRIMM, which would mean I'd have to locate a cheap pair
> instead of a single.
>

> Stew

OK, I looked at the two sticks of ram in my B1000r...

Original stick... PC700 ECC

Samsung 0001 256MB/16 ECC
KMMR18R8GAC1-RK7 711-45 100

Stick I added PC800 Non-ECC

Samsung 0130 256MB/16
MR16R082GBN1-CK8 800-45 101

Both sticks are of the 45ns rating.

> OK, I looked at the two sticks of ram in my B1000r...
>
> Original stick... PC700 ECC
>
> Samsung 0001 256MB/16 ECC
> KMMR18R8GAC1-RK7 711-45 100
>

> Stick I added PC800 Non-ECC
>
> Samsung 0130 256MB/16
> MR16R082GBN1-CK8 800-45 101
>
> Both sticks are of the 45ns rating.

Thanks a bunch, Timothy. That's certainly helpful info.

Stew

"Timothy Drouillard" <timdrouillard@comcast.net> wrote in message
> OK, I looked at the two sticks of ram in my B1000r...
>
> Original stick... PC700 ECC
>
> Samsung 0001 256MB/16 ECC
> KMMR18R8GAC1-RK7 711-45 100
>

> Stick I added PC800 Non-ECC
>
> Samsung 0130 256MB/16
> MR16R082GBN1-CK8 800-45 101
>
> Both sticks are of the 45ns rating.

In conclusion, the system arrived configured as I had hoped; it contained 1
x 256mb PC700 RIMM and a CRIMM. The RIMM is ECC. Noting the retail online
prices for an additional 256mb RIMM to max the system out, I opted for ebay
instead.

I was able to grab another PC700/non-ECC 256mb RIMM for around $50. It
arrived today and works perfectly.

The original 64mb NVidia GeF2 GTS card had been pulled from the system and
subbed with a 16mb G400 Matrox. I yanked it and replaced it with a 64mb
GeF3 Ti 200.

Life is good.

Thanks for the replies.

Stew