Best Spyware Remover

What would you folks recommend for a spyware remover. My Dell has slowed down
lately and a Spybot search found nothing. I went to adaware.com and ended up
downloading Spyassasin which found some spyware type cookies. Now Spyassasin
wants me to send them some money in order to remove the spyware it found.

Is Lavasoft's product better?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Jim

Don't send anyone money. It's a scam. Try adaware.

"JBlock56" <jblock56@aol.com> wrote in message
> What would you folks recommend for a spyware remover. My Dell has slowed
> down
> lately and a Spybot search found nothing. I went to adaware.com and ended
> up
> downloading Spyassasin which found some spyware type cookies. Now
> Spyassasin
> wants me to send them some money in order to remove the spyware it found.
>
> Is Lavasoft's product better?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
> Jim

> Is Lavasoft's product better?

Lavasoft's adaware has a free version, and is pretty similar in
terms of what it removes compared to Spybot S&D, with a few minor
(not "showstopper") differences

I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:

www.phoenixbbs.co.uk

All the stuff I mention is free.

Colin Wilson wrote:

> > Is Lavasoft's product better?
>
> Lavasoft's adaware has a free version, and is pretty similar in
> terms of what it removes compared to Spybot S&D, with a few minor
> (not "showstopper") differences
>
> I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:
>
> www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
>
> All the stuff I mention is free.

A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.

Notan

Took the words right out of my mouth. I run both to fix up client's computers,
and they each catch some unique spyware, malware, etc-ware. I also run
HiJackThis to get a good view of browser modifications and all programs loaded
up when the system boots up.

Two caveats:

1. I you have a multi-user Win 2000 or Win XP system, you MUST login as each
user and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware to catch everything. This is because each
user has his/her own programs and customization loaded when Windows starts up,
added to the basic stuff shared by everyone. Failure to remove spys and other
junk under each and every user login causes a still-infected user environment to
infect the rest again.

2. Together Spybot and Ad-Aware do not catch everything. I had a badly messed
up client computer two weeks ago. Neither program isolated and removed the
stuff that was messing up the computer. I had to go into both the WINDOWS and
WiNDOWS\SYSTEM folders and delete over 1000 files manually, with the risk that I
would also delete an important Windows file. Both computer and I survived the
ordeal, and my client was back in business again... Ben Myers

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:48:41 GMT, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>Colin Wilson wrote:
>>
>> > Is Lavasoft's product better?
>>
>> Lavasoft's adaware has a free version, and is pretty similar in
>> terms of what it removes compared to Spybot S&D, with a few minor
>> (not "showstopper") differences
>>
>> I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:
>>
>> www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
>>
>> All the stuff I mention is free.
>
>A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.
>
>Notan

> > I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:
> > www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
> > All the stuff I mention is free.
> A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.

Follow up with HijackThis if you still have problems, cwshredder, and
last but not least, spywareblaster to lock down activex exploits :)

We use both Spybot and Ad-Aware on the winXP machines I am responsible for.
The user has an account in the Power Users group, and there are two accounts
in the Administrators group. One of my guys insists it is necessary to
temporarily promote the user account to administrator, and then run Spybot.
(Otherwise Spybot does not fix the problems.) Then demote the user back to
power user.

Can anyone confirm or deny that administrator authority is necessary for
Spybot to work properly? How about Ad-Aware?

Thanks for any info.

-- Jay

> Took the words right out of my mouth. I run both to fix up client's
> computers,
> and they each catch some unique spyware, malware, etc-ware. I also run
> HiJackThis to get a good view of browser modifications and all programs
> loaded
> up when the system boots up.
>
> Two caveats:
>
> 1. I you have a multi-user Win 2000 or Win XP system, you MUST login as
> each
> user and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware to catch everything. This is
> because each
> user has his/her own programs and customization loaded when Windows starts
> up,
> added to the basic stuff shared by everyone. Failure to remove spys and
> other
> junk under each and every user login causes a still-infected user
> environment to
> infect the rest again.
>
> 2. Together Spybot and Ad-Aware do not catch everything. I had a badly
> messed
> up client computer two weeks ago. Neither program isolated and removed
> the
> stuff that was messing up the computer. I had to go into both the WINDOWS
> and
> WiNDOWS\SYSTEM folders and delete over 1000 files manually, with the risk
> that I
> would also delete an important Windows file. Both computer and I survived
> the
> ordeal, and my client was back in business again... Ben Myers

>>> Lavasoft's adaware has a free version, and is pretty similar in
>>> terms of what it removes compared to Spybot S&D, with a few minor
>>> (not "showstopper") differences
>>>
>>> I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:
>>>
>>> www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
>>>
>>> All the stuff I mention is free.
>>
>>A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.
>>
>>Notan

Jay,

What one of your guys is saying may be true for Win XP Pro. But I did not need
to promote any of the six(!) user accounts on one of my client's XP Home
machines to remove all the wretched mess. And only one account had Admin
priveleges. This may well be a significant difference between Home and Pro.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:52:46 GMT, "Jay Bollyn" <jbollyn@neiu.edu> wrote:

>We use both Spybot and Ad-Aware on the winXP machines I am responsible for.
>The user has an account in the Power Users group, and there are two accounts
>in the Administrators group. One of my guys insists it is necessary to
>temporarily promote the user account to administrator, and then run Spybot.
>(Otherwise Spybot does not fix the problems.) Then demote the user back to
>power user.
>
>Can anyone confirm or deny that administrator authority is necessary for
>Spybot to work properly? How about Ad-Aware?
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>-- Jay

>> Took the words right out of my mouth. I run both to fix up client's
>> computers,
>> and they each catch some unique spyware, malware, etc-ware. I also run
>> HiJackThis to get a good view of browser modifications and all programs
>> loaded
>> up when the system boots up.
>>
>> Two caveats:
>>
>> 1. I you have a multi-user Win 2000 or Win XP system, you MUST login as
>> each
>> user and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware to catch everything. This is
>> because each
>> user has his/her own programs and customization loaded when Windows starts
>> up,
>> added to the basic stuff shared by everyone. Failure to remove spys and
>> other
>> junk under each and every user login causes a still-infected user
>> environment to
>> infect the rest again.
>>
>> 2. Together Spybot and Ad-Aware do not catch everything. I had a badly
>> messed
>> up client computer two weeks ago. Neither program isolated and removed
>> the
>> stuff that was messing up the computer. I had to go into both the WINDOWS
>> and
>> WiNDOWS\SYSTEM folders and delete over 1000 files manually, with the risk
>> that I
>> would also delete an important Windows file. Both computer and I survived
>> the
>> ordeal, and my client was back in business again... Ben Myers

>>>A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.
>>>
>>>Notan

I use the following to combat spyware -- all pick up different stuff
oddly enough ... run them every other day or so ...

PestPatrol
Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware SE
Spy Sweeper

Boad

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:14:37 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Jay,
>
>What one of your guys is saying may be true for Win XP Pro. But I did not need
>to promote any of the six(!) user accounts on one of my client's XP Home
>machines to remove all the wretched mess. And only one account had Admin
>priveleges. This may well be a significant difference between Home and Pro.
>
>... Ben Myers
>
>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:52:46 GMT, "Jay Bollyn" <jbollyn@neiu.edu> wrote:
>
>>We use both Spybot and Ad-Aware on the winXP machines I am responsible for.
>>The user has an account in the Power Users group, and there are two accounts
>>in the Administrators group. One of my guys insists it is necessary to
>>temporarily promote the user account to administrator, and then run Spybot.
>>(Otherwise Spybot does not fix the problems.) Then demote the user back to
>>power user.
>>
>>Can anyone confirm or deny that administrator authority is necessary for
>>Spybot to work properly? How about Ad-Aware?
>>
>>Thanks for any info.
>>
>>-- Jay
>>
>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> Took the words right out of my mouth. I run both to fix up client's
>>> computers,
>>> and they each catch some unique spyware, malware, etc-ware. I also run
>>> HiJackThis to get a good view of browser modifications and all programs
>>> loaded
>>> up when the system boots up.
>>>
>>> Two caveats:
>>>
>>> 1. I you have a multi-user Win 2000 or Win XP system, you MUST login as
>>> each
>>> user and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware to catch everything. This is
>>> because each
>>> user has his/her own programs and customization loaded when Windows starts
>>> up,
>>> added to the basic stuff shared by everyone. Failure to remove spys and
>>> other
>>> junk under each and every user login causes a still-infected user
>>> environment to
>>> infect the rest again.
>>>
>>> 2. Together Spybot and Ad-Aware do not catch everything. I had a badly
>>> messed
>>> up client computer two weeks ago. Neither program isolated and removed
>>> the
>>> stuff that was messing up the computer. I had to go into both the WINDOWS
>>> and
>>> WiNDOWS\SYSTEM folders and delete over 1000 files manually, with the risk
>>> that I
>>> would also delete an important Windows file. Both computer and I survived
>>> the
>>> ordeal, and my client was back in business again... Ben Myers

David

"BeeP" <beep@nospam2me.com> wrote in message news:<gvR_c.820$9P4.682@trndny02>...
> SpySubtract is a good one. Checks for alot more suspects than Spybot
> or Spybot S+D.
> From the same co that does AdSubtract, which I think is included with
> alot of computers, modems, etc. Bob

The BEST spyware removal is to NOT use MS Windows.
Use Mac OS or Linux. Spyware is NOT a problem
with other operating systems. Just my opinion.
Dave

Early in November my computer became infected with spware, IE Windows
kept poping up even when IE was closed and I tried several different
spyware removal tools such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, and neither could
remove it, though Ad-Aware removed more. Since spyware removal tools
are their infancy, none will complete remove everything. I recommend
trying several different ones. I ended up formatting my hard drive to
get rid of the spyware.

> Early in November my computer became infected with spware, IE Windows
> kept poping up even when IE was closed and I tried several different
> spyware removal tools such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, and neither could
> remove it, though Ad-Aware removed more. Since spyware removal tools
> are their infancy, none will complete remove everything.

There`s a fair chance that if Spybot S&D and Adaware failed to clear it,
it was either CoolWebSearch (which both were unable to clear last time I
checked) which can be removed using cwshredder, and if all else failed,
its time to break out the big guns and use HijackThis!

> spyware removal tools such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, and neither could
>> remove it, though Ad-Aware removed more.

Be advised that you have to check with Ad-Aware weekly for updates. This past
two weeks there have been three updates to their data base.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

davinp,
Give PestPatrol at try. ( www.pestpatrol.com ) PC Magazine said if was
successful where Ad-Aware wasn't.
Paul