Workgroup versus Domain

Magnetar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
I use my laptop at work and at home -- at work connected to the LAN and at home connected to the Internet via a hub to a cable modem.

I just did something stupid in an attempt to reslove some error messages I've been receiving -- in the Network Identification tab I changed from Domain to Workgroup and now when I try to log on I get a message...

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case. Make sure that Caps Lock is not accidently on."

Anybody know a way for me to undo what I've done? I do have an emergency repair disk that's two months old, but trying to boot from it just gives me the same message.

Thanks for any help.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
make sure the login box has the "advanced" feature enabled (grey button) which should give you 3 boxes. In the 3rd one (the first 2 being username and password) scroll until the name of your local PC appears, rather than a domain name. Hopefully that is your problem.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
You need to rejoin the domain, but to do this you need to be conencted to the DC i.e. at work, BUT, you should still be able to logon locally, provided you have a local acount

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?