Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

repair install

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:20:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I bought an evesham laptop 14 months ago. Sometimes it freezes for 10 secs
then reboots but cannot boot again (starts xp but reboots after 15 secs
ish). When i use the win xp install disk i dont get an option to repair. Can
I force a boot from the install cd to offer me a repair option?
Thanks lots
Robby

More about : repair install

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you boot from the XP CD, and tell it to install, it should get to the
point of checking for a current install.
At that point, it gives you the option to push R to repair the current
installation.
If it is an OEM CD, it may not offer that option.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Robbybobs" <Robbybobs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8E4075D5-F569-479B-82CF-5070AFD55352@microsoft.com...
>I bought an evesham laptop 14 months ago. Sometimes it freezes for 10 secs
> then reboots but cannot boot again (starts xp but reboots after 15 secs
> ish). When i use the win xp install disk i dont get an option to repair.
> Can
> I force a boot from the install cd to offer me a repair option?
> Thanks lots
> Robby
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:06:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi and thanks for your response, Well it is an OEM but it usually gives me
the repair option, however Eveshan tell me that if it is a real bad crash
that you dont get this option, that why I want to force it to offer me a
repair.

"NotMe" wrote:

> When you boot from the XP CD, and tell it to install, it should get to the
> point of checking for a current install.
> At that point, it gives you the option to push R to repair the current
> installation.
> If it is an OEM CD, it may not offer that option.
>
> --
> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "Robbybobs" <Robbybobs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8E4075D5-F569-479B-82CF-5070AFD55352@microsoft.com...
> >I bought an evesham laptop 14 months ago. Sometimes it freezes for 10 secs
> > then reboots but cannot boot again (starts xp but reboots after 15 secs
> > ish). When i use the win xp install disk i dont get an option to repair.
> > Can
> > I force a boot from the install cd to offer me a repair option?
> > Thanks lots
> > Robby
>
>
>
Related resources
August 28, 2005 9:43:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Robbybobs wrote:

> Hi and thanks for your response, Well it is an OEM but it usually
> gives me the repair option, however Eveshan tell me that if it is a
> real bad crash that you dont get this option, that why I want to force
> it to offer me a repair.
>
> "NotMe" wrote:
>
>> When you boot from the XP CD, and tell it to install, it should get
>> to the point of checking for a current install.
>> At that point, it gives you the option to push R to repair the
>> current installation.
>> If it is an OEM CD, it may not offer that option.
>>
>> --
>> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be
>> here! "Robbybobs" <Robbybobs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:8E4075D5-F569-479B-82CF-5070AFD55352@microsoft.com...
>> >I bought an evesham laptop 14 months ago. Sometimes it freezes for
>> >10 secs
>> > then reboots but cannot boot again (starts xp but reboots after 15
>> > secs ish). When i use the win xp install disk i dont get an option
>> > to repair. Can
>> > I force a boot from the install cd to offer me a repair option?
>> > Thanks lots
>> > Robby
>>
>>
>>
I'm sorry, but you can't force the Repair Install. You should back up
your data (and there are ways of doing this without going into Windows)
and restore to factory condition. If the restore doesn't work, then
there may be a hardware failure and then you'll need to contact Evesham
for tech support/repair/replacement of the machine.

A good way of determining ahead of time if the errors are caused by
hardware or software is to boot with an alternative operating system
like Knoppix. Knoppix is a Linux distribution that runs from cd. If
Knoppix runs well, then you know the issue is with Windows. If Knoppix
freezes/locks up/reboots, then you know there is a hardware problem. If
Knoppix works, then this would be a good opportunity to get your data
if you haven't backed it up already. Here is some information about
Knoppix. Obviously you would need to get it from a working machine.

To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast Internet connection and
third-party burning software. Download the Knoppix .iso from
www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then boot with it and it
will be able to see the Windows files. Since you have a laptop (which
will only have one cd drive) use a usb thumbdrive with enough capacity
to transfer your data. Right-click on the thumbdrive icon (on the
Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read
Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action
in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open
instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 6:44:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Kalke, thanks lots for your response. Well I have really big problems her,
let me explain. This is a 64 bit machine and I have a second operating system
on it, win xp 64. That is not really all that relivant, cause ever since i've
had this machine i get the same problem, ever now and then, sometimes up to 6
weeks, sometimes using photoshop, sometimes using internet explorer, the
machine will freeze for a few seconds then a flask of a blue screen follows
by reboot and then unable to boot again. Evesham dont make computers they
just brand them, it is made by mitac. Mitac have replaced the motherboard and
evesham replaced the hard drive but it still happens. All they will do is
format the hard drive, reinstall the software and if there is no hardware
failure within 24 hours tell me there is no problem. I am a photographer
wanting to use this machine for original unique photos but that is completely
impossible. Any ideas?

"Malke" wrote:

> Robbybobs wrote:
>
> > Hi and thanks for your response, Well it is an OEM but it usually
> > gives me the repair option, however Eveshan tell me that if it is a
> > real bad crash that you dont get this option, that why I want to force
> > it to offer me a repair.
> >
> > "NotMe" wrote:
> >
> >> When you boot from the XP CD, and tell it to install, it should get
> >> to the point of checking for a current install.
> >> At that point, it gives you the option to push R to repair the
> >> current installation.
> >> If it is an OEM CD, it may not offer that option.
> >>
> >> --
> >> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be
> >> here! "Robbybobs" <Robbybobs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:8E4075D5-F569-479B-82CF-5070AFD55352@microsoft.com...
> >> >I bought an evesham laptop 14 months ago. Sometimes it freezes for
> >> >10 secs
> >> > then reboots but cannot boot again (starts xp but reboots after 15
> >> > secs ish). When i use the win xp install disk i dont get an option
> >> > to repair. Can
> >> > I force a boot from the install cd to offer me a repair option?
> >> > Thanks lots
> >> > Robby
> >>
> >>
> >>
> I'm sorry, but you can't force the Repair Install. You should back up
> your data (and there are ways of doing this without going into Windows)
> and restore to factory condition. If the restore doesn't work, then
> there may be a hardware failure and then you'll need to contact Evesham
> for tech support/repair/replacement of the machine.
>
> A good way of determining ahead of time if the errors are caused by
> hardware or software is to boot with an alternative operating system
> like Knoppix. Knoppix is a Linux distribution that runs from cd. If
> Knoppix runs well, then you know the issue is with Windows. If Knoppix
> freezes/locks up/reboots, then you know there is a hardware problem. If
> Knoppix works, then this would be a good opportunity to get your data
> if you haven't backed it up already. Here is some information about
> Knoppix. Obviously you would need to get it from a working machine.
>
> To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast Internet connection and
> third-party burning software. Download the Knoppix .iso from
> www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then boot with it and it
> will be able to see the Windows files. Since you have a laptop (which
> will only have one cd drive) use a usb thumbdrive with enough capacity
> to transfer your data. Right-click on the thumbdrive icon (on the
> Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read
> Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action
> in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open
> instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
>
August 28, 2005 7:32:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Robbybobs wrote:

> Hi Kalke, thanks lots for your response. Well I have really big
> problems her, let me explain. This is a 64 bit machine and I have a
> second operating system on it, win xp 64. That is not really all that
> relivant, cause ever since i've had this machine i get the same
> problem, ever now and then, sometimes up to 6 weeks, sometimes using
> photoshop, sometimes using internet explorer, the machine will freeze
> for a few seconds then a flask of a blue screen follows by reboot and
> then unable to boot again. Evesham dont make computers they just brand
> them, it is made by mitac. Mitac have replaced the motherboard and
> evesham replaced the hard drive but it still happens. All they will do
> is format the hard drive, reinstall the software and if there is no
> hardware failure within 24 hours tell me there is no problem. I am a
> photographer wanting to use this machine for original unique photos
> but that is completely impossible. Any ideas?
>
If the problems always existed, they are hardware-related, either with
bad drivers or the actual hardware itself. I can't give you support on
Windows 64-bit since I haven't tested it. Here's a newsgroup where you
can post your question:

microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

Otherwise, you need to do hardware diagnosis yourself or take the
machine to a good professional computer repair shop (not your local
equivalent of BigStoreUSA). Here are some general hardware
troubleshooting steps:

1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
immediately. Let the test run for an hour or two - unless errors are
seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Download
the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. Boot with the media
and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical errors, replace it.

4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
laptop, although of course the power supply can be faulty.

5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
!