Help Required: XP Installation and Partition

Hello,
I was trying to re-format my computer, using the Windows XP Professional
startup disk. I've done this before without problems, however this time I
begun to encounter problems with the partition table. I removed all
previously used partitions and created a new one to install XP Pro onto,
everything went well with the NFTS formatting until the restart, once
restarted it went to a black screen saying "Invalid Partition Table".

I have been able to complete the installation by pressing F8 on restart,
then selecting the CD Drive and then not doing anything when it asks to boot
from CD, however, after completing the installation it requires a restart and
the problem occurs again.

I can continue to boot from CD, though I'd much rather not have to.So I've
attempted to reformat the partitions several times with no avail and also
tried using PartitionMagic when the computer was running from the XP disk.
Any support would be appreciated as I do not see why I should have problems
upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro. Just to note, I've also tried installing
with the other XP Pro disk we have in the house, and my old XP Home disk- The
same error occured each time.

Thankyou,
Andrew Milne

Please Note: I've looked at every partition guide, so please don't post
links to sites that will just tell me how to create partitions, I know how
to... And have done so properly, it's just not working :(
8 answers Last reply
More about help required installation partition

    "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I was trying to re-format my computer, using the Windows XP Professional
    > startup disk. I've done this before without problems, however this time I
    > begun to encounter problems with the partition table. I removed all
    > previously used partitions and created a new one to install XP Pro onto,
    > everything went well with the NFTS formatting until the restart, once
    > restarted it went to a black screen saying "Invalid Partition Table".
    >
    > I have been able to complete the installation by pressing F8 on restart,
    > then selecting the CD Drive and then not doing anything when it asks to
    boot
    > from CD, however, after completing the installation it requires a restart
    and
    > the problem occurs again.
    >
    > I can continue to boot from CD, though I'd much rather not have to.So I've
    > attempted to reformat the partitions several times with no avail and also
    > tried using PartitionMagic when the computer was running from the XP disk.
    > Any support would be appreciated as I do not see why I should have
    problems
    > upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro. Just to note, I've also tried installing
    > with the other XP Pro disk we have in the house, and my old XP Home disk-
    The
    > same error occured each time.
    >
    > Thankyou,
    > Andrew Milne
    >
    > Please Note: I've looked at every partition guide, so please don't post
    > links to sites that will just tell me how to create partitions, I know how
    > to... And have done so properly, it's just not working :(

    Your post does not make it clear how you deleted the
    old partitions, nor does it say if you're happy to re-install
    WinXP. Here is what I would do, in this order:

    1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
    2. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
    3. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
    4. If not, reboot the machine with the Win98 boot disk.
    5. Run fdisk.exe, then delete all existing partitions.
    6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
    7. Create a logical FAT32 partition to take the rest of your disk.
    8. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
    9. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
    10. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
    11. If yes, install WinXP. If no, try the advice given by other respondents.

    If fdisk refuses to delete some partitions, use delpart.exe instead
    (http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm).

    Yeah, I want to install XP Professional on to my computer.
    I removed my partitions originally with the XP Setup Disk when it gets to
    the Partition stage, and seeing as I was having problems there, I removed
    some using PartitionMagic.

    Okay, to do the second option, all I do is download a Windows 98 boot from:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    Then put the file that I download onto a floppy, and put it into my PC and
    boot it?

    Is the FDisk and such all in the boot file I download? Sorry for my
    ignorance, I really don't understand alot about computers at this level.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I was trying to re-format my computer, using the Windows XP Professional
    > > startup disk. I've done this before without problems, however this time I
    > > begun to encounter problems with the partition table. I removed all
    > > previously used partitions and created a new one to install XP Pro onto,
    > > everything went well with the NFTS formatting until the restart, once
    > > restarted it went to a black screen saying "Invalid Partition Table".
    > >
    > > I have been able to complete the installation by pressing F8 on restart,
    > > then selecting the CD Drive and then not doing anything when it asks to
    > boot
    > > from CD, however, after completing the installation it requires a restart
    > and
    > > the problem occurs again.
    > >
    > > I can continue to boot from CD, though I'd much rather not have to.So I've
    > > attempted to reformat the partitions several times with no avail and also
    > > tried using PartitionMagic when the computer was running from the XP disk.
    > > Any support would be appreciated as I do not see why I should have
    > problems
    > > upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro. Just to note, I've also tried installing
    > > with the other XP Pro disk we have in the house, and my old XP Home disk-
    > The
    > > same error occured each time.
    > >
    > > Thankyou,
    > > Andrew Milne
    > >
    > > Please Note: I've looked at every partition guide, so please don't post
    > > links to sites that will just tell me how to create partitions, I know how
    > > to... And have done so properly, it's just not working :(
    > >

    > Your post does not make it clear how you deleted the
    > old partitions, nor does it say if you're happy to re-install
    > WinXP. Here is what I would do, in this order:
    >
    > 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
    > 2. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
    > 3. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
    > 4. If not, reboot the machine with the Win98 boot disk.
    > 5. Run fdisk.exe, then delete all existing partitions.
    > 6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
    > 7. Create a logical FAT32 partition to take the rest of your disk.
    > 8. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
    > 9. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
    > 10. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
    > 11. If yes, install WinXP. If no, try the advice given by other respondents.
    >
    > If fdisk refuses to delete some partitions, use delpart.exe instead
    > (http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm).

    fdisk.exe is included with the Win98 boot disk that you
    download from www.bootdisk.com. Have a look for yourself!

> [...]
    > > old partitions, nor does it say if you're happy to re-install
    > > WinXP. Here is what I would do, in this order:
    > >
    > > 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
    > > 2. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
    > > 3. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
    > > 4. If not, reboot the machine with the Win98 boot disk.
    > > 5. Run fdisk.exe, then delete all existing partitions.
    > > 6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
    > > 7. Create a logical FAT32 partition to take the rest of your disk.
    > > 8. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
    > > 9. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
    > > 10. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
    > > 11. If yes, install WinXP. If no, try the advice given by other
    respondents.

    > > If fdisk refuses to delete some partitions, use delpart.exe instead

    Alright, I did all the things you suggested. Though, on restart the same
    problem still occurs.
    Any other advice?

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > fdisk.exe is included with the Win98 boot disk that you
    > download from www.bootdisk.com. Have a look for yourself!
    >

    > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
    > > Yeah, I want to install XP Professional on to my computer.
    > > I removed my partitions originally with the XP Setup Disk when it gets to
    > > the Partition stage, and seeing as I was having problems there, I removed
    > > some using PartitionMagic.
    > >
    > > Okay, to do the second option, all I do is download a Windows 98 boot
    > from:
    > > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    > > Then put the file that I download onto a floppy, and put it into my PC and
    > > boot it?
    > >
    > > Is the FDisk and such all in the boot file I download? Sorry for my
    > > ignorance, I really don't understand alot about computers at this level.
    > >
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >

    > > > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
    > Professional
    > time I
    > onto,

    > restart,
    > > > boot
    > restart
    > > > and

    > I've
    > also
    > disk.
    > > > problems
    > installing
    > disk-
    > > > The

    > post
    > how
    > > > >

    > > > Your post does not make it clear how you deleted the
    > > > old partitions, nor does it say if you're happy to re-install
    > > > WinXP. Here is what I would do, in this order:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
    > > > 2. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
    > > > 3. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
    > > > 4. If not, reboot the machine with the Win98 boot disk.
    > > > 5. Run fdisk.exe, then delete all existing partitions.
    > > > 6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
    > > > 7. Create a logical FAT32 partition to take the rest of your disk.
    > > > 8. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
    > > > 9. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
    > > > 10. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
    > > > 11. If yes, install WinXP. If no, try the advice given by other
    > respondents.
    > > >
    > > > If fdisk refuses to delete some partitions, use delpart.exe instead
    > > > (http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm).

    Please describe exactly what you see at Step 10.
    With "exactly" I mean the verbatim messages that
    appear on the screen.

    > Alright, I did all the things you suggested. Though, on restart the same
    > problem still occurs.
    > Any other advice?
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > fdisk.exe is included with the Win98 boot disk that you
    > > download from www.bootdisk.com. Have a look for yourself!
    > >

    > > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
    > > > Yeah, I want to install XP Professional on to my computer.
    > > > I removed my partitions originally with the XP Setup Disk when it gets
    > > > the Partition stage, and seeing as I was having problems there, I
    removed
    > > > some using PartitionMagic.
    > > >
    > > > Okay, to do the second option, all I do is download a Windows 98 boot
    > > from:
    > > > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    > > > Then put the file that I download onto a floppy, and put it into my PC
    and
    > > > boot it?
    > > >
    > > > Is the FDisk and such all in the boot file I download? Sorry for my
    > > > ignorance, I really don't understand alot about computers at this
    level.

    > > Professional
    > > time I
    > > onto,
    Table".

    > > restart,
    > > restart

    > > I've
    > > also
    XP
    > > disk.
    > > installing
    > > disk-

    > > post
    > > how

    > > respondents.

    It says, just as it did before, "Invalid Partition Table"
    I've completely formatted the drive using several different programs. There
    is 0 partitions, yet it's still buggery. I think the drive might be
    permenantly screwed.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > Please describe exactly what you see at Step 10.
    > With "exactly" I mean the verbatim messages that
    > appear on the screen.
    >

    > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
    > > Alright, I did all the things you suggested. Though, on restart the same
    > > problem still occurs.
    > > Any other advice?
    > >
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > fdisk.exe is included with the Win98 boot disk that you
    > > > download from www.bootdisk.com. Have a look for yourself!
    > > >

    > > > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
    > removed

    > > > from:
    > and

    > level.

    > > > Professional
    > > > time I
    > all
    > > > onto,
    > once
    > Table".

    > > > restart,
    > asks
    > > > restart

    > to.So
    > > > I've
    > and
    > > > also
    > XP
    > > > disk.
    > > > installing
    > > > disk-

    > > > post
    > know
    > > > how

    > > > respondents.

    If this was my machine then I would take these steps:
    1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
    2. Run delpart.exe to delete ALL partitions.
    3. Boot the machine with your Win98 boot disk.
    4. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
    5. Run fdisk.exe to create new partitions.
    6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
    7. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
    8. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
    9. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine.
    10. If this did not work then I would temporarily install the disk
    in some other Win2000/XP PC, then delete and recreate all
    partitions.

    After this I have no more suggestions. Sorry.

    > It says, just as it did before, "Invalid Partition Table"
    > I've completely formatted the drive using several different programs.
    There
    > is 0 partitions, yet it's still buggery. I think the drive might be
    > permenantly screwed.
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Please describe exactly what you see at Step 10.
    > > With "exactly" I mean the verbatim messages that
    > > appear on the screen.
    > >

    > > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
    > > > Alright, I did all the things you suggested. Though, on restart the
    same
    > > > problem still occurs.
    > > > Any other advice?

    > > removed

    > > and

    > > level.

    > > all
    Pro
    > > once
    > > Table".

    > > asks

    > > to.So
    > > and
    > > XP

    > > know

    I think deplart is a great way to go.

    Fdisk and the winxp setup utility sometimes just don't do the job if there
    are other types of partitions(like ext2) or if a third party app like
    partition magic has been used.

    I am actually a huge fan of the gdisk utility that comes with ghost. I have
    had great success with its /diskwipe that cleans off the whole surface of
    the disk and /mbr switch.

    I don't think this disk is hosed, it just needs a DoD style wipe.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman

Partition Table Windows XP