Help Required: XP Installation and Partition

August 27, 2005 10:14:02 PM

Hello,
I was trying to re-format my computer, using the Windows XP Professional
startup disk. I've done this before without problems, however this time I
begun to encounter problems with the partition table. I removed all
previously used partitions and created a new one to install XP Pro onto,
everything went well with the NFTS formatting until the restart, once
restarted it went to a black screen saying "Invalid Partition Table".

I have been able to complete the installation by pressing F8 on restart,
then selecting the CD Drive and then not doing anything when it asks to boot
from CD, however, after completing the installation it requires a restart and
the problem occurs again.

I can continue to boot from CD, though I'd much rather not have to.So I've
attempted to reformat the partitions several times with no avail and also
tried using PartitionMagic when the computer was running from the XP disk.
Any support would be appreciated as I do not see why I should have problems
upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro. Just to note, I've also tried installing
with the other XP Pro disk we have in the house, and my old XP Home disk- The
same error occured each time.

Thankyou,
Andrew Milne

Please Note: I've looked at every partition guide, so please don't post
links to sites that will just tell me how to create partitions, I know how
to... And have done so properly, it's just not working :(
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:36:49 PM

"Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I was trying to re-format my computer, using the Windows XP Professional
> startup disk. I've done this before without problems, however this time I
> begun to encounter problems with the partition table. I removed all
> previously used partitions and created a new one to install XP Pro onto,
> everything went well with the NFTS formatting until the restart, once
> restarted it went to a black screen saying "Invalid Partition Table".
>
> I have been able to complete the installation by pressing F8 on restart,
> then selecting the CD Drive and then not doing anything when it asks to
boot
> from CD, however, after completing the installation it requires a restart
and
> the problem occurs again.
>
> I can continue to boot from CD, though I'd much rather not have to.So I've
> attempted to reformat the partitions several times with no avail and also
> tried using PartitionMagic when the computer was running from the XP disk.
> Any support would be appreciated as I do not see why I should have
problems
> upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro. Just to note, I've also tried installing
> with the other XP Pro disk we have in the house, and my old XP Home disk-
The
> same error occured each time.
>
> Thankyou,
> Andrew Milne
>
> Please Note: I've looked at every partition guide, so please don't post
> links to sites that will just tell me how to create partitions, I know how
> to... And have done so properly, it's just not working :(

Your post does not make it clear how you deleted the
old partitions, nor does it say if you're happy to re-install
WinXP. Here is what I would do, in this order:

1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
2. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
3. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
4. If not, reboot the machine with the Win98 boot disk.
5. Run fdisk.exe, then delete all existing partitions.
6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
7. Create a logical FAT32 partition to take the rest of your disk.
8. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
9. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
10. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
11. If yes, install WinXP. If no, try the advice given by other respondents.

If fdisk refuses to delete some partitions, use delpart.exe instead
(http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm).
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:36:50 PM

Yeah, I want to install XP Professional on to my computer.
I removed my partitions originally with the XP Setup Disk when it gets to
the Partition stage, and seeing as I was having problems there, I removed
some using PartitionMagic.

Okay, to do the second option, all I do is download a Windows 98 boot from:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Then put the file that I download onto a floppy, and put it into my PC and
boot it?

Is the FDisk and such all in the boot file I download? Sorry for my
ignorance, I really don't understand alot about computers at this level.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I was trying to re-format my computer, using the Windows XP Professional
> > startup disk. I've done this before without problems, however this time I
> > begun to encounter problems with the partition table. I removed all
> > previously used partitions and created a new one to install XP Pro onto,
> > everything went well with the NFTS formatting until the restart, once
> > restarted it went to a black screen saying "Invalid Partition Table".
> >
> > I have been able to complete the installation by pressing F8 on restart,
> > then selecting the CD Drive and then not doing anything when it asks to
> boot
> > from CD, however, after completing the installation it requires a restart
> and
> > the problem occurs again.
> >
> > I can continue to boot from CD, though I'd much rather not have to.So I've
> > attempted to reformat the partitions several times with no avail and also
> > tried using PartitionMagic when the computer was running from the XP disk.
> > Any support would be appreciated as I do not see why I should have
> problems
> > upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro. Just to note, I've also tried installing
> > with the other XP Pro disk we have in the house, and my old XP Home disk-
> The
> > same error occured each time.
> >
> > Thankyou,
> > Andrew Milne
> >
> > Please Note: I've looked at every partition guide, so please don't post
> > links to sites that will just tell me how to create partitions, I know how
> > to... And have done so properly, it's just not working :(
> >

> Your post does not make it clear how you deleted the
> old partitions, nor does it say if you're happy to re-install
> WinXP. Here is what I would do, in this order:
>
> 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
> 2. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
> 3. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
> 4. If not, reboot the machine with the Win98 boot disk.
> 5. Run fdisk.exe, then delete all existing partitions.
> 6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
> 7. Create a logical FAT32 partition to take the rest of your disk.
> 8. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
> 9. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
> 10. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
> 11. If yes, install WinXP. If no, try the advice given by other respondents.
>
> If fdisk refuses to delete some partitions, use delpart.exe instead
> (http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm).

August 28, 2005 4:55:27 PM

fdisk.exe is included with the Win98 boot disk that you
download from www.bootdisk.com. Have a look for yourself!

> [...]
> > old partitions, nor does it say if you're happy to re-install
> > WinXP. Here is what I would do, in this order:
> >
> > 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
> > 2. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
> > 3. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
> > 4. If not, reboot the machine with the Win98 boot disk.
> > 5. Run fdisk.exe, then delete all existing partitions.
> > 6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
> > 7. Create a logical FAT32 partition to take the rest of your disk.
> > 8. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
> > 9. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
> > 10. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
> > 11. If yes, install WinXP. If no, try the advice given by other
respondents.

> > If fdisk refuses to delete some partitions, use delpart.exe instead

August 28, 2005 4:55:28 PM

Alright, I did all the things you suggested. Though, on restart the same
problem still occurs.
Any other advice?

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> fdisk.exe is included with the Win98 boot disk that you
> download from www.bootdisk.com. Have a look for yourself!
>

> "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
> > Yeah, I want to install XP Professional on to my computer.
> > I removed my partitions originally with the XP Setup Disk when it gets to
> > the Partition stage, and seeing as I was having problems there, I removed
> > some using PartitionMagic.
> >
> > Okay, to do the second option, all I do is download a Windows 98 boot
> from:
> > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
> > Then put the file that I download onto a floppy, and put it into my PC and
> > boot it?
> >
> > Is the FDisk and such all in the boot file I download? Sorry for my
> > ignorance, I really don't understand alot about computers at this level.
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
> Professional
> time I
> onto,

> restart,
> > > boot
> restart
> > > and

> I've
> also
> disk.
> > > problems
> installing
> disk-
> > > The

> post
> how
> > > >

> > > Your post does not make it clear how you deleted the
> > > old partitions, nor does it say if you're happy to re-install
> > > WinXP. Here is what I would do, in this order:
> > >
> > > 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
> > > 2. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
> > > 3. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
> > > 4. If not, reboot the machine with the Win98 boot disk.
> > > 5. Run fdisk.exe, then delete all existing partitions.
> > > 6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
> > > 7. Create a logical FAT32 partition to take the rest of your disk.
> > > 8. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
> > > 9. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
> > > 10. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine. Problem fixed?
> > > 11. If yes, install WinXP. If no, try the advice given by other
> respondents.
> > >
> > > If fdisk refuses to delete some partitions, use delpart.exe instead
> > > (http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm).

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 7:20:48 PM

Please describe exactly what you see at Step 10.
With "exactly" I mean the verbatim messages that
appear on the screen.

> Alright, I did all the things you suggested. Though, on restart the same
> problem still occurs.
> Any other advice?
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > fdisk.exe is included with the Win98 boot disk that you
> > download from www.bootdisk.com. Have a look for yourself!
> >

> > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
> > > Yeah, I want to install XP Professional on to my computer.
> > > I removed my partitions originally with the XP Setup Disk when it gets
> > > the Partition stage, and seeing as I was having problems there, I
removed
> > > some using PartitionMagic.
> > >
> > > Okay, to do the second option, all I do is download a Windows 98 boot
> > from:
> > > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
> > > Then put the file that I download onto a floppy, and put it into my PC
and
> > > boot it?
> > >
> > > Is the FDisk and such all in the boot file I download? Sorry for my
> > > ignorance, I really don't understand alot about computers at this
level.

> > Professional
> > time I
> > onto,
Table".

> > restart,
> > restart

> > I've
> > also
XP
> > disk.
> > installing
> > disk-

> > post
> > how

> > respondents.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 7:20:49 PM

It says, just as it did before, "Invalid Partition Table"
I've completely formatted the drive using several different programs. There
is 0 partitions, yet it's still buggery. I think the drive might be
permenantly screwed.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> Please describe exactly what you see at Step 10.
> With "exactly" I mean the verbatim messages that
> appear on the screen.
>

> "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
> > Alright, I did all the things you suggested. Though, on restart the same
> > problem still occurs.
> > Any other advice?
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > fdisk.exe is included with the Win98 boot disk that you
> > > download from www.bootdisk.com. Have a look for yourself!
> > >

> > > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
> removed

> > > from:
> and

> level.

> > > Professional
> > > time I
> all
> > > onto,
> once
> Table".

> > > restart,
> asks
> > > restart

> to.So
> > > I've
> and
> > > also
> XP
> > > disk.
> > > installing
> > > disk-

> > > post
> know
> > > how

> > > respondents.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:00:46 PM

If this was my machine then I would take these steps:
1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).
2. Run delpart.exe to delete ALL partitions.
3. Boot the machine with your Win98 boot disk.
4. Run this command to restore the Master Boot Record: fdisk /mbr
5. Run fdisk.exe to create new partitions.
6. Create a primary FAT32 partition of 10 or 20 GBytes.
7. Reboot with the Win98 boot disk.
8. Type this command: format c: /u /s /v
9. Remove the boot disk, then reboot the machine.
10. If this did not work then I would temporarily install the disk
in some other Win2000/XP PC, then delete and recreate all
partitions.

After this I have no more suggestions. Sorry.

> It says, just as it did before, "Invalid Partition Table"
> I've completely formatted the drive using several different programs.
There
> is 0 partitions, yet it's still buggery. I think the drive might be
> permenantly screwed.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Please describe exactly what you see at Step 10.
> > With "exactly" I mean the verbatim messages that
> > appear on the screen.
> >

> > "Andrew Milne" <andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote in message
> > > Alright, I did all the things you suggested. Though, on restart the
same
> > > problem still occurs.
> > > Any other advice?

> > removed

> > and

> > level.

> > all
Pro
> > once
> > Table".

> > asks

> > to.So
> > and
> > XP

> > know

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:00:47 PM

I think deplart is a great way to go.

Fdisk and the winxp setup utility sometimes just don't do the job if there
are other types of partitions(like ext2) or if a third party app like
partition magic has been used.

I am actually a huge fan of the gdisk utility that comes with ghost. I have
had great success with its /diskwipe that cleans off the whole surface of
the disk and /mbr switch.

I don't think this disk is hosed, it just needs a DoD style wipe.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman

!