I have no icons on my desktop; only a short name for the program. Completely
inadvertently, I managed to remove the colored block around the labels. I
have looked at everything that I know of to do the same on my other two
computers - all running WIN XP. This is not an important issue, but I detest
having colored blocks around each label. They serve no purpose, and deface
my wallpaper picture.

If anyone knows how to do on purpaose what I managed my accident, I would
appreciate the help.

Malke

DelnoAdams wrote:

> I have no icons on my desktop; only a short name for the program.
> Completely
> inadvertently, I managed to remove the colored block around the
> labels. I have looked at everything that I know of to do the same on
> my other two
> computers - all running WIN XP. This is not an important issue, but I
> detest
> having colored blocks around each label. They serve no purpose, and
> deface my wallpaper picture.
>
> If anyone knows how to do on purpaose what I managed my accident, I
> would appreciate the help.

Open the System applet in Control Panel, choose the Advanced tab, and
click Settings in the Performance section. Turn on the "Use drop
shadows for icon labels on the desktop option", and click Ok.

Four things are required for transparent icon backgrounds:

1) System Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings>VisualEffects - check
"use drop shadows for icon labels".

2) Right-click on Desktop ->Arrange Icons by>Lock Web items must be
cleared.

3) If you have any web content on your desktop, transparency won't work.
To check for web content: Display Properties>Desktop>Customize
Desktop>Web - make sure all checkboxes are clear.

4) Wallpaper must be an image file, not html

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

I tried all the steps you suggested, the color block remained. I plan to
compare your suggestions to what is on my computer without the background
blocks to see what I may have missed. I think I did everything you
suggested. If the blocks had not just disappeared from my primary computer,
I would never have known they could be removed. A little knowledge creates
discontent.

Thanks