Installation hangup

August 28, 2005 5:26:39 AM

Hello Group:
I am trying to do a clean installation on my SCSI system, which was
running Win 2K Pro. I formatted the boot drive as NTFS with the WinXP
CD and it copied the files and started the installation. It reboots
and starts with 39 minutes to go. Then it gets to 34 minutes left and
hangs up. Mouse won't move, etc. Restarting picked up the installation
and then hung up at the same place.

I rebooted and deleted that partition, created another one, formatted
it again and went through another "clean" install. But it did the same
thing. Restarting and letting Windows pick up on the failed
installation does the same thing again too.

I tried hitting F6 (quickly) to install SCSI drivers, but Windows
didn't find the file txtsetup.oem on the Adaptec SCSI floppy I had.
I'm not sure the third party drivers were necessary anyway, but I was
straw-grasping.
Any ideas?
Many thanks!

Jack

More about : installation hangup

August 28, 2005 5:26:40 AM

JClark wrote:

> Hello Group:
> I am trying to do a clean installation on my SCSI system, which was
> running Win 2K Pro. I formatted the boot drive as NTFS with the WinXP
> CD and it copied the files and started the installation. It reboots
> and starts with 39 minutes to go. Then it gets to 34 minutes left and
> hangs up. Mouse won't move, etc. Restarting picked up the installation
> and then hung up at the same place.
>
> I rebooted and deleted that partition, created another one, formatted
> it again and went through another "clean" install. But it did the same
> thing. Restarting and letting Windows pick up on the failed
> installation does the same thing again too.
>
> I tried hitting F6 (quickly) to install SCSI drivers, but Windows
> didn't find the file txtsetup.oem on the Adaptec SCSI floppy I had.
> I'm not sure the third party drivers were necessary anyway, but I was
> straw-grasping.
> Any ideas?
> Many thanks!
>
> Jack

See if this article can help:

Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828267

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:26:39 GMT, JClark
<johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Group:
>I am trying to do a clean installation on my SCSI system, which was
>running Win 2K Pro. I formatted the boot drive as NTFS with the WinXP
>CD and it copied the files and started the installation. It reboots
>and starts with 39 minutes to go. Then it gets to 34 minutes left and
>hangs up. Mouse won't move, etc. Restarting picked up the installation
>and then hung up at the same place.
>
>I rebooted and deleted that partition, created another one, formatted
>it again and went through another "clean" install. But it did the same
>thing. Restarting and letting Windows pick up on the failed
>installation does the same thing again too.
>
>I tried hitting F6 (quickly) to install SCSI drivers, but Windows
>didn't find the file txtsetup.oem on the Adaptec SCSI floppy I had.
>I'm not sure the third party drivers were necessary anyway, but I was
>straw-grasping.
>Any ideas?
>Many thanks!
>
>Jack
PS: I was wrong about the mouse hanging up. I forgot I had a USB mouse
hooked up, which naturally wouldn't be functioning yet. The regular
mouse does work, but no progress is made past the "34 minutes left"
position.

Jack
August 28, 2005 5:29:23 AM

Could the XP disk be damaged? Is it a new CD or one you've had for some time?
I had issues with an XP Home disk that had been in the sun too much and it
failed to read probably 20% of the information.

"JClark" wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:26:39 GMT, JClark
> <johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello Group:
> >I am trying to do a clean installation on my SCSI system, which was
> >running Win 2K Pro. I formatted the boot drive as NTFS with the WinXP
> >CD and it copied the files and started the installation. It reboots
> >and starts with 39 minutes to go. Then it gets to 34 minutes left and
> >hangs up. Mouse won't move, etc. Restarting picked up the installation
> >and then hung up at the same place.
> >
> >I rebooted and deleted that partition, created another one, formatted
> >it again and went through another "clean" install. But it did the same
> >thing. Restarting and letting Windows pick up on the failed
> >installation does the same thing again too.
> >
> >I tried hitting F6 (quickly) to install SCSI drivers, but Windows
> >didn't find the file txtsetup.oem on the Adaptec SCSI floppy I had.
> >I'm not sure the third party drivers were necessary anyway, but I was
> >straw-grasping.
> >Any ideas?
> >Many thanks!
> >
> >Jack
> PS: I was wrong about the mouse hanging up. I forgot I had a USB mouse
> hooked up, which naturally wouldn't be functioning yet. The regular
> mouse does work, but no progress is made past the "34 minutes left"
> position.
>
> Jack

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:19:41 PM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:37:01 -0700, Andrew Milne
<andrewmilne@iinet.net.au.(nospam)> wrote:

>Could the XP disk be damaged? Is it a new CD or one you've had for some time?
>I had issues with an XP Home disk that had been in the sun too much and it
>failed to read probably 20% of the information.
>
>"JClark" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:26:39 GMT, JClark
>> <johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello Group:
>> >I am trying to do a clean installation on my SCSI system, which was
>> >running Win 2K Pro. I formatted the boot drive as NTFS with the WinXP
>> >CD and it copied the files and started the installation. It reboots
>> >and starts with 39 minutes to go. Then it gets to 34 minutes left and
>> >hangs up. Mouse won't move, etc. Restarting picked up the installation
>> >and then hung up at the same place.
>> >
>> >I rebooted and deleted that partition, created another one, formatted
>> >it again and went through another "clean" install. But it did the same
>> >thing. Restarting and letting Windows pick up on the failed
>> >installation does the same thing again too.
>> >
>> >I tried hitting F6 (quickly) to install SCSI drivers, but Windows
>> >didn't find the file txtsetup.oem on the Adaptec SCSI floppy I had.
>> >I'm not sure the third party drivers were necessary anyway, but I was
>> >straw-grasping.
>> >Any ideas?
>> >Many thanks!
>> >
>> >Jack
>> PS: I was wrong about the mouse hanging up. I forgot I had a USB mouse
>> hooked up, which naturally wouldn't be functioning yet. The regular
>> mouse does work, but no progress is made past the "34 minutes left"
>> position.
>>
>> Jack

Andrew:
Thanks for the thoughts. I guess it's possible. But the WinXP-Pro CD
is right out of the wrapper. Also I doubt it's a bad HD, since it was
running Win2KPro just fine.
Jack
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:20:58 PM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:

>JClark wrote:
>
>> Hello Group:
>> I am trying to do a clean installation on my SCSI system, which was
>> running Win 2K Pro. I formatted the boot drive as NTFS with the WinXP
>> CD and it copied the files and started the installation. It reboots
>> and starts with 39 minutes to go. Then it gets to 34 minutes left and
>> hangs up. Mouse won't move, etc. Restarting picked up the installation
>> and then hung up at the same place.
>>
>> I rebooted and deleted that partition, created another one, formatted
>> it again and went through another "clean" install. But it did the same
>> thing. Restarting and letting Windows pick up on the failed
>> installation does the same thing again too.
>>
>> I tried hitting F6 (quickly) to install SCSI drivers, but Windows
>> didn't find the file txtsetup.oem on the Adaptec SCSI floppy I had.
>> I'm not sure the third party drivers were necessary anyway, but I was
>> straw-grasping.
>> Any ideas?
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Jack
>
>See if this article can help:
>
>Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828267
Rock:
Very informative. I'll go to work on the suggestions in the article
and post results.

Thanks again.

Jack
August 28, 2005 6:13:39 PM

JClark wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>JClark wrote:
>>

>>>Hello Group:
>>>I am trying to do a clean installation on my SCSI system, which was
>>>running Win 2K Pro. I formatted the boot drive as NTFS with the WinXP
>>>CD and it copied the files and started the installation. It reboots
>>>and starts with 39 minutes to go. Then it gets to 34 minutes left and
>>>hangs up. Mouse won't move, etc. Restarting picked up the installation
>>>and then hung up at the same place.
>>>
>>>I rebooted and deleted that partition, created another one, formatted
>>>it again and went through another "clean" install. But it did the same
>>>thing. Restarting and letting Windows pick up on the failed
>>>installation does the same thing again too.
>>>
>>>I tried hitting F6 (quickly) to install SCSI drivers, but Windows
>>>didn't find the file txtsetup.oem on the Adaptec SCSI floppy I had.
>>>I'm not sure the third party drivers were necessary anyway, but I was
>>>straw-grasping.
>>>Any ideas?
>>>Many thanks!
>>>
>>>Jack
>>
>>See if this article can help:
>>
>>Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828267
>
> Rock:
> Very informative. I'll go to work on the suggestions in the article
> and post results.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Jack

Ok, Jack, good luck.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:13:39 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:

>JClark wrote:

>>>See if this article can help:
>>>
>>>Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828267
>>
>> Rock:
>> Very informative. I'll go to work on the suggestions in the article
>> and post results.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Jack
>
>Ok, Jack, good luck.
Rock:
My problem was an XP incompatible video card. I forgot that I had just
replaced a dead card with one (ATI 128) I had lying around, and that I
thought would be OK, but I couldn't get Win2Kdrivers for it, and
that's the real reason I was installing WinXP....false reasoning on my
part, obviously.
But now that I've gone out and purchased a compatible Video card, XP
is installing fine.
Again, thanks for the help.

Jack
August 29, 2005 1:55:08 AM

JClark wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:13:39 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>JClark wrote:

>>>Rock:
>>>Very informative. I'll go to work on the suggestions in the article
>>>and post results.
>>>
>>>Thanks again.
>>>
>>>Jack
>>
>>Ok, Jack, good luck.
>
> Rock:
> My problem was an XP incompatible video card. I forgot that I had just
> replaced a dead card with one (ATI 128) I had lying around, and that I
> thought would be OK, but I couldn't get Win2Kdrivers for it, and
> that's the real reason I was installing WinXP....false reasoning on my
> part, obviously.
> But now that I've gone out and purchased a compatible Video card, XP
> is installing fine.
> Again, thanks for the help.
>
> Jack

Great, glad it's fixed and thanks for posting back so others can benefit
from your resolution.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User