I have two hard drives, if I reinstall Windows on my C:/ drive...

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the storage forums or the forums for my OS...

I got a new computer, and it is the first time I've ever had a computer with two internal hard drives working in conjunction. I have Windows 7 on a SSD. I put most files on a HDD that is much bigger than the SSD. I may have to reinstall Windows on the SSD. If I do that, I'd like to know, will the data on the HDD stay unaltered and completely safe from the reinstallation on the SSD?

I figure the answer is yes, but I should investigate this matter first, just in case. I spent several hours putting data on the HDD yesterday and today.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
If you reinstall Windows on the SSD the data on your hdd will stay unaltered, unless you install Windows on your hdd by mistake. To be on the safe side unplug the sata and power connections from the hdd. BTW you will have to reinstall all your drivers and programs again. It would be a good idea to have them on a usb stick beforehand.

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Thanks for the help. Is it really necessary to unplug the SATA and power connections from the HDD? There is no chance that reinstalling Windows on the SSD will erase data or affect data on the HDD, right? You only suggested that in case I make an error where I start reinstalling on the wrong drive, right? If that was the case, that might be being overly cautious.

This new computer just came in. I have all the drivers on disc in a box in my room. I don't have many programs on it. I don't plan to back up the programs. Starting from scratch wouldn't be what I call a big deal. I just have an issue with it and I'll contact AVADirect and AMD and see if this issue I have with the computer can be solved by some means without having to reinstalling Windows, or see if a reinstall is what I need.

TRENDING THREADS