Sign in with
Your question

Buy laptop now or wait?

Last response: in CPUs
September 11, 2003 3:39:24 AM

I was wondering whether it was a good time to buy a laptop or not. I know that lots of desktops are coming out soon, but I haven't heard of any laptops. Do you think after waiting six months the prices would be much lower?

More about : buy laptop wait

September 11, 2003 3:47:18 AM

Now's a good time as any. Unless deals come along for Xmas time.
September 11, 2003 3:52:15 AM

I've always had the opinion a laptop is a better investment than a desktop, as they hold their value longer and are easier to sell. In six months you might save a couple of hundred dollars depending on how much you are looking to spend. Just remember if you buy any comp. with the latest cpu they will depreciate quickly compared to one thats not so new to the market. If you find that sweet spot in relation to price/performance you will reduce depreciation.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
Related resources
September 11, 2003 4:07:59 AM

If you plan on doing any gaming with that, you;ll want to conisider another laptop. For other stuff it should probably be ok.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
September 11, 2003 4:12:33 AM

Yea looks like a nice laptop. I'm not to familiar with the different models but if it were me it would be a choice between IBM, Toshiba and ASUS.

September 11, 2003 4:23:35 AM

Check this baby out from ASUS

Asus L58C (P4-2.66.512MB,.60G)

L58C Intel Pentium 4 2.66Ghz Processor, 512MB DDR Memory upgradable to 1024 Mb, 60 GB Hard Disk ( 4200 RPM ), DVD- RW Drive (1X16X/10X/8X/24X), 15" TFT SXGA,1.44MB FDD, 64 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, Audio DJ Function, Onboard 802.11B Wireless, Windows XP Pro Edition

Not sure what the price is in your country prob a bit more than the IBM due to the graphics acc.

September 11, 2003 4:34:07 AM

The newer alienware laptops seem like a good investment. It comes with a fast proc and loads of memory of your choice. i think the best thing about the laptop is the ability to change the videocard for the future. its gonna cost ya but its worth checking out.

SHUTTLE XPC SN45G
nForce2 Ultra 400
Athlon XP 3200+
Corsair PC3200 512MB
Radeon 9600Pro
WD 160GB HD
Toshiba DVD-R<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marvelii on 09/11/03 00:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 11, 2003 5:33:03 PM

I live in the USA and it won't be used hardly at all for games. So that Alienware one besides being expensive wouldn't help that much. I think I want to stick to IBM. I friend recomended getting one of those. Do you think any of the other series are better? They seem to use slower processors and be more expensive.
September 12, 2003 6:13:54 PM

I was looking at Intel laptop roadmaps and there is a new one coming out soon called the Dothan it looks like. The maps were about 9 months old, and I haven't heard of the Dothan. They were supposed to come out the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2003. I was wondering if any of you have heard of it.
September 12, 2003 8:09:11 PM

Maybe you would like to check out <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20030904131..." target="_new">this</A> article @ X-bit Labs. Now the thing about computers is that there is always something new at the horizon. So if you need a laptop now then buy the best you can afford, based on what you plan doing with it (games, typing documents, surfing the net etc). There is almost never a point in waiting for new technologies because there is always something new under development. On the other hand, when talking about Centrino laptops, if you are not in a hurry and can wait until Dothan is released, then probably current laptops carrying the older Banias (spelling?) core will become cheaper then because prices will come down.
!