TECH: Apolloe 13 auto launch is a dud!

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Turn the launch handle and the ball goes about a quarter the way up the
ramp. I put in a new coil (the correct one) with new diode and still
dud. I replaced Q2 (I think is was TIP122) and same result. What else
is there that is causing the auto-launch to act like a dud? Please help!

I suppose you replaced the coil sleeve too check by moving it with your
hand that the plunger mech moves freely and it's not too wobbly. Also
check if the game is in the right angle. I'm not too good at data
east/sega electronics but if 70 volts is present and the coil fires
there should be no other possibility of electronic fault (since you
replaced it's main transistor) except maybe the pre driver of the
coil's transistor.

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

New coil and new sleeve. Everything moves freely. Angle is good. I know
the tranister has a pre-driver but not sure what it looks like, where
it is or part number for a new one.

Is the plunger the right one/length? How about PF angle? Side to side
level? The angles shouldn't do this but worth a look. The plunger
length would kill it for sure. How about setting... is there a "coil
strength" setting? If so that could be it. On mine with everything
per the manual (IIRC), the ball almost shot off the playfield. I'd
check coil/plunger length

CK

Adi

Mos-Fet is a kind of transistor. www.greatplainselectronics.com should have
some for you. If the coil works fine, your problem is not the transistor. If
the transistor failed, is shorted or open, the coil would not work. I still
think it may be a mechanical problem.

Adi
www.txpinball.com