Appdata folder missing

nikkesopo

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
HP Elite Microtower 7000
Windows 7 Ultimate

I used cmd.exe to copy my entire C: ( renamed to D: ) to an external HDD.

I verified all the files were copied, plugged the external drive into my laptop, but I couldn't find my backup file. I unticked 'hide OS files' and 'show hidden files/folders', and the backup file appeared, but I cannot seem to find the 'documents and settings' folder (meaning I can't get to my appdata folder).

What can I do to find my documents and settings folder? I copied my C: drive file-for-file so it should be there.

nikkesopo

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

That's what I'm saying - I have tried the users folder, double-clicked my username, and nothing is there. I can't find the appdata folder under my username even though I copied the HDD to an external file-for-file.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

nikkesopo

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

I couldn't use robocopy but the way I used was touted online as a 100% effective copy.

The reason I couldn't use windows apps is due to a windows corruption - this is why I made a backup in the first place.

I used dos commands in cmd.exe and after making the copy I crosschecked the amount of files on my backup with the amount of files on my C: and they corresponded to the kilobyte (as well as numerically).

Since then, I have run the sfc /scannow command and it found errors, which it fixed automatically, but I still can't find appdata

Trying to access appdata through cmd.exe is also not working.

I have also fiddled around with permissions, but nothing seems to work.

nikkesopo

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I managed. Turns out my copy wasn't perfect after all!!!

So much for that technique!

What I did is I stuck my in SECOND backup, which I made using windows, and after unchecking the 'hide os' and 'show hidden', I found what I was looking for.

Thank you all, anyway!