extra partition and warranty

Daniel

Is Dell shipping computers with a separate partition with backup or
diagnostic utilities on it? What files are included in this partition?
Is the warranty that Dell provides affected if you delete this
partition?

Daniel

daniel wrote:

>Is Dell shipping computers with a separate partition with backup or
>diagnostic utilities on it? What files are included in this partition?
>Is the warranty that Dell provides affected if you delete this
>partition?
>
>Daniel

I don't know what Dell is currently shipping (my Inspiron 8200 is two
years old). There was an extra small partition which contained
diagnostic utilities. They are the same utilities which are on the
utilities disk. I deleted the partition. There is nothing in the
warranty which even mentions the extra partition, much less requires it.

The newer systems are shipping with a Symantec restore partition. I don't
know if they've changed the wording of their support terms, but they are now
shipping systems with only that as a means of restoration, so you'd be
stranded until you could get them to send you the restoration CDs if you
delete the partition and don't have the media.