Questionable Problems - please give input

Onslaught

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Well. Here I am again. A while back I had originally thought my motherboard was bad, but when I switched graphics cards, all seemed well. Everything was working fine until a couple days ago. We recently setup a wireless network in my house. My computer had a 2nd network card installed so I could maintain the IP address and I'd just share the connection through the other NIC card. I know it sounds like a bit much, and I could port forward and all that.. but I dont feel like setting up ports everytime I try to play a new game.

Anyways - heres the new problem. Yesterday my wife came in the computer room and switched the wrong switch for the light. The switch she had press was to the power of my computer. This cut it off. When I got home from work I saw this and assumed all was well. I turn on my computer screen and its blank, but I could hear the hard drives spinning and so forth. So I hit the power and it does nothing. Then I hold the power button for 5 seconds forcing a shutdown. Turn it on, the cd drive spins, hd spins.. but no post beep.
I then reset cmos and turn on and everything was fine.

Today I played it for a few hours, then left for work at 4:50. I get home at 9:30 and go to play but it was acting up. First thing I noticed... the clock read 6:11 when the time was actually 9:38. So I change the clock, boot up warcraft 3 and notice its running too fast, we're talking 4x as fast as normal. So I shut it down, then restart windows. Similar to yesterday, it goes to post.. but no beep (and of coarse this means its stuck cause it wouldtn do anything else). So I reset cmos again. Nothing. Before admitting defeat.. I try once more and then it lives once more. Could someone PLEASE tell me what in the blue hell is going on? Is it my motherboard or do you think its something else?
heres my current specs:
ABIT ICG-7 MB
2.4c P4
512 3200 400mhz Ram
2 HD (one is dedicated to vmem and backup files)
2 NIC cards (one being onboard)
SB Audigy (with Audigy drive)
Floppy
Geforce 4 TI 4200
400 Watt PS
LITE-On Burner
Running Windows Xp Pro with Sp1
also - I've run memtest till I was blue in the face. The ram has/had no errors at all.

Thanks

Onslaught

endyen

Splendid
First, the reason your clock was wrong was because you reset the bios, so your whole date should be out.
As to the startup problems, I suspect that you are having a conflict due to the second lan card. This is probably a bios problem that is resolved by xp. Since routers are so cheap now, might I suggest that you get one? You can give it whatever mac or ip address you like. It also helps protect you from being hacked. If you leave your computer on 24/7 you are very open to attack.

Onslaught

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Is there any way I can rule out that I have a faulty motherboard? I only have so long before I can return it.
See, with the clock, the first time I reset cmos I configured everything back to the way it was. So the time *was* accurate before I left for work. When I returned it was off.
I was suspicious of the NIC card too.. but I had this one in my old PC which never had a conflict.

Thanks for the input,

Onslaught

PS- is there perhaps any sort of diagnosis I can run on my machine to rule out whats bad?

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Try removing the NIC card, wipe all the drivers for it, and see if you are still having the same problems. If not, I agree with endyen, go with a cheap wireless router, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

Also, have you flashed to the latest BIOS?

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Quantum 6GB
LG24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K Pro.

Onslaught

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Hmm. Oddly enough, it worked perfectly in my other computer. What would make it cause all these problems in this one? My motherboard is not at the current revision but its 1.6, not 1.7. I'll update it and see what happens. If anyone else has any other input, please give me your suggestions.
The NIC card is a realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC.

Onslaught

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Onslaught on 09/12/03 03:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>